Motoring Discussion > Car Tax changes announced. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 11

Car Tax changes announced. - Pat
www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-when-renewing-your-tax-disc

Just to save any arguments at a later date!

Pat
 Car Tax changes announced. - Cliff Pope
"For renewals, this extended period will only apply when your application to renew your tax disc is made before the previous one expires"

That doesn't make sense. If you are renewing before the old one expires then you don't need to swap until it expires, surely?

And if you are renewing more than 14 days before expiry, is it really saying you can take the old one off and the gap will be covered by the new one, even though it hasn't started yet?
 Car Tax changes announced. - The Nut
It's so if you buy your tax disc online on the 30th DVLA can save money by sending it second class and to allow for postal delays.
I'm only guessing here but postal delays are probably the real reason, we often don't get any post for days at a time then 5-10 letters all turn up together.

Last edited by: The Nut on Thu 1 Aug 13 at 14:14
 Car Tax changes announced. - No FM2R
"For renewals, this extended period will only apply when your application to renew your tax disc is made before the previous one expires"

>>That doesn't make sense. If you are renewing before the old one expires then you don't
>>need to swap until it expires, surely?

Shirely it makes perfect sense.....?

Renew it before the previous one expires and you're blameless and you'll get the 14 days to make sure the post or something else doesn't drop you in it.

Let it lapse and now everything that happens is your fault because you got it wrong and you get no grace because you don't deserve it.

I'd actually go so far as to say that it seems like a dose of common sense from the DVLA.
 Car Tax changes announced. - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Shirely it makes perfect sense.....?
>>
>

I says you get 14 days to display from the date of renewal. Not the date of expiry of the old licence.
So if you renew on say the 5th preceeding. you apparently then have only 14 days in which to display a new disc that hasn't even started.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Sat 3 Aug 13 at 08:54
 Car Tax changes announced. - L'escargot
I assume it's to allow you to go on holiday at the end of the month and not have to worry about the fact that you haven't fixed the new tax disc onto your car's windscreen.
 Car Tax changes announced. - R.P.
The tax disc is now largely irrelevant - it's computers that confirm whether a car is taxed, either in conjunction with the MK1 eyeball or ANPR. DVLA is moving with the times
 Car Tax changes announced. - No FM2R
Don't I recall that they changed the offence from "Failure to display..." to "Actually not having...." a little while ago.
 Car Tax changes announced. - R.P.
A tax disc was stolen from a bike of mine some years ago - I've never displayed tax discs on any of them since - they get bought and left in the documents file, not even popped out of their perforations. Never had any trouble off the old Bill or anyone.
 Car Tax changes announced. - Robin O'Reliant
Many bikers now display a scanned photocopy of the disc on the bike and keep the original safe at home.
 Car Tax changes announced. - Fullchat
Two separate offences which have always existed and still do. Law enforcement can enforce the former (but seldom do) and report to DVLA who enforce the latter.

'Fail to display' covers tax disc in glovebox, floor or even document files :).

When I first started it was commonplace to walk the streets on nights, stick on a ticket for 'fail to display' and fill in a form which went to DVLA. Kept the tick book filled up.

However I'm permanently scared and still eyeball tax discs.
 Car Tax changes announced. - Dave_
That would explain the two new cars I delivered last week without tax discs, something I've never seen happen before. The dealer said tax discs for private buyers are posted straight to the customer now. I thought it must be a change of procedure at that particular dealership or something, thanks.
Latest Forum Posts