Motoring Discussion > Hyundai i20 - Hyundai ix 20 and warranty Buying / Selling
Thread Author: belucky22 Replies: 14

Hyundai i20 - Hyundai ix 20 and warranty - belucky22
I am impressed by the ix20 and am thinking of buying one. Has anyone any experience, good or bad, of their 5 year warranty ? Are there conditions to be wary of ? Any views on the car welcome. I've looked at review sites etc but would welcome opinions from forum users.
 Hyundai i20 - Hyundai ix 20 and warranty - Dog
Some poor experiences on HJ: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/hyundai/ix20-2010/?section=owners-reviews

ix20 is Hyundai's version of the Kia Venga and is built at the same factory in the Czech Republic.
Thanks, that's very helpful. The problem with time taken for replacement parts is something I need to investigate. A rather confusing range of views : how much is chance ? I am fortunate with a dealer I can trust but it still needs thinking about. Currently, I've a Volvo c30 1600 diesel 2007 and am beginning to get a few problems ( 6 months ago replaced dpf ) so seriously having to consider to get more time from money spent or cut losses ? A recurring problem for people and no certain answer !
 Hyundai i20 - Hyundai ix 20 and warranty - BobbyG
I know its a common complaint amongst all marques, but have heard the diesels get nowhere near their expected fuel consumption.

I actually like the car as a mini MPV, still get high seating, boot quite big and if you go for the right spec it comes with a load of toys including panoramic sunroof. I personally prefer the look of the Kia Venga better but don't think I could tell anyone that I drive a Venga!

The Hyundai / Kia 1.7 diesels have suffered from a major fuel filter issue where it waxes over in the winter and causes the car to lose power. Happened to my boss on the outside lane of the motorway at 70mph. Would be worth checking if the 1.4 & 1.6 diesels suffer the same?
 Hyundai i20 - Hyundai ix 20 and warranty - Old Navy
>> The Hyundai / Kia 1.7 diesels have suffered from a major fuel filter issue where
>> it waxes over in the winter and causes the car to lose power. Happened to
>> my boss on the outside lane of the motorway at 70mph. Would be worth checking
>> if the 1.4 & 1.6 diesels suffer the same?
>>

My 1.6 KIA diesel has an electrically heated fuel filter and has worked perfectly at ambient temperatures down to -15C. I would be surprised if the 1.7 engine has a different filter. Possibly a duff filter heater? There are lots of these cars in Scandinavian and Eastern European countries which have much colder weather than us, I would suspect an isolated fault.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 2 Aug 13 at 09:41
>> The Hyundai / Kia 1.7 diesels have suffered from a major fuel filter issue where
>> it waxes over in the winter and causes the car to lose power.

Do you have a reference for this info?

UK winter diesel fuel should be good for use down to -20C (class F spec) and that is without a filter heater.

It could have been a duff batch of diesel but there would have been many vehicles with the same problem in that case.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 3 Aug 13 at 10:11
 Hyundai i20 - Hyundai ix 20 and warranty - BobbyG
www.ix35forum.org.uk/

15 pages in one thread here about fuel starvation due to diesel fuel filters
>> www.ix35forum.org.uk/
>>
>> 15 pages in one thread here about fuel starvation due to diesel fuel filters
>>

Like many of these ix35 forum users I am unconvinced it has anything to do with fuel waxing. Their diesel was sourced from different parts of the country and if there was a problem with the winter diesel it would effect all diesels. I would suspect poor quality control of the filter elements, particularly as it only affected a few owners.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 3 Aug 13 at 19:10
 Hyundai i20 - Hyundai ix 20 and warranty - Dog
And, in at number 3 we have ...
www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/10203036/Top-10-most-reliable-used-car-brands.html?frame=2627475

:)
Thanks very much everybody - really appreciated. I've just emerged from lying in a darkened room after all the thinking. It seems very much to depend on the individual dealer and chance with the car. On balance, I think if I can find the ix 20 at the right price I'll go for it. The one I originally looked at has gone. Also it was only 6 months old so not too sure about depreciation levels to achieve best value buy ( although whatcar calculator useful ) Neil did you buy new ? If so, what did you think are the advantages ? - apologies for asking more of your time.
 Hyundai i20 - Hyundai ix 20 and warranty - Aretas
I have an i10. Servicing is very expensive - First service £180, second service £262. I assume the service costs are high to try to keep any warranty costs down over the 5 year period. Car has done only 4000 miles in the two years and only goes this expensive Hyundai route to keep warranty intact.

It is possible to pay for 3 years service up-front at a considerable discount.
Thanks. Very pleased I've found this site with people ready to contributeso much helpful information.
The service prices may be a bit steep but I have found with my KIA (same setup as Hyundai) that extra work is done as required during routine servicing if the manufacturer believes there may be a problem. I have had the rear hatch lock replaced, (potential boot light switch failure) and the fuel tank retaining straps replaced (corrosion?). Both jobs were done at no cost and before I knew there was a potential problem.
 Hyundai i20 - Hyundai ix 20 and warranty - retgwte
Standard of dealers is very variable, some very bad indeed, some very good.

Interior fabrics fit and finish can be poor, in some the stitching frays on the seats and so on. Although normally fixed under warranty without any quibbles if mentioned at first service, I have heard they are more reluctant to fix if reported later.

Been common problems with rear brakes, although usually all fixed under warranty.

Thanks everyone. I now feel much better informed to make a decision. Getting the best buy is the next step ! A trusted independent and franchised dealers to compare.
Latest Forum Posts