Motoring Discussion > Travelling in Germany, route advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PR Replies: 8

Travelling in Germany, route advice - PR
Apologies for another route advice question....

We are travelling down to Italy via Munich, and the first leg is from Europoort in Rotterdam to a hotel in Munich.....

I normally use google maps or viamichelin for route advice.

Google has 3 options of routes to take, all very similar

One is on the A3 (Cologne / Frankfurt / Nuremberg / Munich)

One is on the A61 and A8 (Koblenz / Karlsrue / Stuttgart / Munich)

One is A61 to the A3 just south of Nuremberg.

Bearing in mind it will be on Sat Aug 24th, does anyone know which is the best route to take?

Thanks in advance....
 Travelling in Germany, route advice - ....
A3 is probably most direct route but as the German Premier league will have restarted fixture list might work against you. I use the A15 from R'dam to Nijmegen and pick up the A57 to Cologne. Less traffic than the A3.

A61 does not go near A3 at Nuremburg, might that be the A6 connecting the two ?
That's the one yes..... the A6 goes across and joins just south or Nuremburg
The A61 is limited to 130kph for much of its length, can get sticky between Cologne and Bonn otherwise pretty free flowing. I'm going down to Italy a week on Tuesday and will use it down to Mannheim to pick up the A5 to Basel. I'm on holiday so no rush.

R'dam to Munich is a long run. Typically takes 3 to 3.5 hours to Cologne being sensible, Munich is about another 5 or 6 hours on a good day.
Yes the route planner says 7h 46 for the shortest A3 route, to 7h 56 for longest one..

Bundesliga fixtures, Bayern Munich are home to Nuremburg at 1430 so should miss that...
What about Cologne, Leverkusen, Mainz, Frankfurt & Wurzburg? OK, Cologne aren't top flight but they still have a big following. Are Stuttgart playing Hamburg which could affect you between Cologne and Frankfurt.
Time Home Away TV Venue
14:30 BST Bayer Leverkusen v Borussia Monchengladbach BayArena
14:30 BST Bayern Munich v Nurnberg Allianz Arena
14:30 BST Hannover 96 v Schalke 04 AWD-Arena
14:30 BST Mainz v VfL Wolfsburg Coface Arena
14:30 BST TSG Hoffenheim v SC Freiburg Rhein-Neckar-Arena
17:30 BST Hertha Berlin v Hamburg SV Olympiastadion

Fixture list

So 1430 BST is 1530 German time...so that means match finishes at 1730....on the road we need to go into Munich on........deep joy lol....(as long as we don't get held up before then of course....)
Just as a follow up to this as I am Sat on a balcony in central Italy.....;)

We took the a61 a8 route via Stuttgart. Was fine. The odd bit of congestion and some pretty horrendous weather apart that is. Arrived in Munich a little after the final whistle at the allianz arena but had no issues. Infact driving into and then out of Munich was very easy indeed. No hassle whatsoever....
Latest Forum Posts