Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen - Headlight Hoods Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 4

Volkswagen - Headlight Hoods - maltrap
I recently saw a VW campervan, probably 40 years old. The things that stood out (literally)
were the metal hoods fitted above the headlights, i think they used to be known as "kidney cutters". As i thought these things were outlawed many years ago are vehicles of a certain age absolved from such safety issues ?
 Volkswagen - Headlight Hoods - VxFan
>> were the metal hoods fitted above the headlights

I think they're called eyebrows.

>> As i thought these things were outlawed many years ago are vehicles
>> of a certain age absolved from such safety issues ?

Quite possibly, just like the front number plates on motorbikes are allowed up until a certain year.

www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates

"Motorcycles registered after 1 September 2001 must only display a number plate at the rear of the vehicle.

If you ride a motorbike registered before 1 September 2001 you can also display a number plate at the front, but you don’t have to. "

I thought the law changed long ago for front number plates, not as recent as 2001. Sorry for the thread drift. Can't find anything about headlight eyebrows using google.

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 7 Aug 13 at 12:55
 Volkswagen - Headlight Hoods - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> I thought the law changed long ago for front number plates, not as recent as
>> 2001. Sorry for the thread drift. Can't find anything about headlight eyebrows using google.
>>
>>
>>
Front number plates on bikes were no longer a requirement from 1975, but they were only made illegal in 2001. As for the eyebrows (eyelashes?) on old VW campers, I saw one of those recently.
 Volkswagen - Headlight Hoods - commerdriver
I don't believe they are illegal, I have a pair on the Commer. They are only on older vehicles because modern cars don't have chrome round the headlamps anymore.
 Volkswagen - Headlight Hoods - Ted

Like Commerboy, I have them as well, fitted to the Jowett. I think it's only we elite 7" headlight boys that can have them !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts