Motoring Discussion > F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 23   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 103

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 23 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 24 *****

As the title suggests, a place to discuss Formula One, and all other types of motorsport (excluding MotoGP, which has a section of its own).

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 20 Feb 14 at 12:47

2014 Engines - VxFan
Here's a example of what the engines are going to sound like next year.

Mercedes

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ebpkJXJ7CFo

Renault

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g8jz_Dgb8D4

Yuk.

2014 Engines - swiss tony
youtu.be/vsUOa34TZyE?t=2m0s

2014 Engines - Zero
compare them all over the years.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz8VcyHY_Yc
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 9 Aug 13 at 12:28

2014 Engines - corax
>> compare them all over the years.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz8VcyHY_Yc

That video doesn't work for me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHaN1tg8fEw

Bring back the V10.

I thought the new engines were going to be four cylinder turbo.

2014 Engines - rtj70
No the new engines are V6 1.6 litre turbo engines that replace the 2.4 litre V8s.

2014 Engines - henry k
The 2014 sounds

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25949765

2014 Engines - henry k
Not a happy fella !

www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2548990/Bernie-Ecclestone-slams-F1s-new-environmentally-friendly-era-totally-absurd-farce.html

Ecclestone said: ‘Look at the last few days. I said it was going to be like this – a total farce. They (the FIA and the teams) insisted on these new engines. If they wanted to race like this they should go to Le Mans.
‘They talk about saving fuel. They don’t need these new engines to achieve that. They should get smaller motorhomes. Then they wouldn’t need so many trucks going all round Europe. Mercedes are taking 23 trucks with them everywhere. If they really wanted to save fuel they should stop that.
‘The whole thing with the new engines is totally absurd.
‘People want noise – something special, that’s what F1 is all about – and now we have quiet engines and nobody on the track.’
Formula One feeds off the image of speed and glamour. The loudest and fastest cars in the world are part of the allure. But here in Jerez, where four days of testing ends this afternoon, some of the cars were 11 seconds off the lap record.

2014 Engines - Roger.
Frankly I could not give a damn about utterly boring F1 these days.
 2014 Engines - Zero
So why are you reading a thread about it then?
 Drivers moving to another team. - henry k
Kimi Raikkonen 'wants Ferrari return' claims Eddie Jordan

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23761323

Jordan added that Ricciardo, 24, had already signed to partner Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull next season.

Drivers moving to another team. - Alastairw
I'd like to see Seb V challenged by a properly good driver in the same machinery, but I imagine he has some sort of veto so Kimi is effectively verboten. Alonso is in a similar position at Ferrari, so I doubt he would accept Kimi there.

Drivers moving to another team. - Manatee
>> I'd like to see Seb V challenged by a properly good driver in the same
>> machinery, but I imagine he has some sort of veto so Kimi is effectively verboten.
>> Alonso is in a similar position at Ferrari, so I doubt he would accept Kimi
>> there.

Logically, anybody that Sebastian or Fernando would be seriously challenged by is exactly the person you would want.

What the teams must want to avoid is somebody who is nearly as good, but doesn't like playing second fiddle.

Ricciardo will be cheaper and he is home grown.

Belgian GP - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23816972

Formula 1 drivers demanded reassurances their tyres are safe following two failures in Belgian GP practice

Belgian GP - henry k
a part that had fallen of Kimi's car caused the punctures.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23823570

Belgian GP - Old Navy
Why does the BBC female F1 presenter (Perry?) have a gadget with a screen permanently attached to her left hand? She never seems to use it, is it some form of electronic jewellery?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 25 Aug 13 at 14:54

Belgian GP - Focusless
>> She never seems to use it

Reads stuff relevant to next presentation/interview while off-camera?

Belgian GP - Old Navy
>> >> She never seems to use it
>>
>> Reads stuff relevant to next presentation/interview while off-camera?
>>

She must find the job challenging, the other presenters manage OK. :-)

Belgian GP - Oldgit
>> >> >> She never seems to use it
>> >>
>> >> Reads stuff relevant to next presentation/interview while off-camera?
>> She must find the job challenging, the other presenters manage OK. :-)
>>

I find it virtually impossible to read those tablet screens/Smartphones, when outside in bright light. At the very least you need the brightness level on maximum and then how long does the battery last - not very long, I would say. I expect for most, it's an affectation, to be honest.
 Belgian GP - Duncan
>> At the very least you need the brightness level on maximum and then how long
>> does the battery last - not very long, I would say. I expect for most,
>> it's an affectation, to be honest.
>>

Or product endorsement?

Belgian GP - rtj70
>> Or product endorsement?

Well: (1) I didn't notice what make of tablet she used and (2) it's the BBC so unlikely to let us see what it was.

Did they need a tablet last season when Jake Humphrey was there.... might have done?

Belgian GP - Alastairw
Jake introduced the tablet. His blog (possibly still available) said he used it to keep up with script changes, update twitter, monitor FIA updates, weather and such like.

Belgian GP - rtj70
I thought I remembered seeing him with a tablet. But couldn't be sure.

I think the coverage on the BBC for F1 would be better without Perry. The others are more than capable of taking up the position. Coulthard and Lee McKenzie would make a better job of it.

Singapore GP. - henry k
Bad day at the office for Webber.

"... I was having to short shift, but then, unlike Monza, we started to lose a lot of power. We were just trying to get home at that point but then on the last lap we caught fire.”

Then
Mark Webber given 10-place penalty
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24198278

Singapore GP. - VxFan
>> We were just trying to get home at that point but then on the last lap we caught fire.

No coolant left which resulted in the engine overheating - according to little Jack (Horner)

Korean - henry k
Fernando Alonso believes Sebastian Vettel car is legal

"We are pretty proud of the system we have because other people will never figure out how we've done it. ....

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24381349

Korean - corax
Rain forecast for Korean race. I hope Vettel spins off so that some other poor sod can win.

tinyurl.com/psp7g5e

Korean - Manatee
>> Rain forecast for Korean race. I hope Vettel spins off so that some other poor
>> sod can win.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/psp7g5e

Yes it would make it more interesting Corax; but we should wish ill fortune to somebody because he's successful, even if he does have the best car - granted, Webber doesn't seem to be able to do as much with it.

I suppose the Malaysian incident means Vettel owes one back though.

And rain will even it up a bit.

Korean - Armel Coussine
Piece in the comic today by Stirling Moss, criticising the fans who apparently booed Sebastian Vettel on the podium at the last race. I seem to remember a sort of murmur but didn't identify it as booing.

Moss is quite right, I hate people who boo anything, or almost anything, with a passion. It's a lousy way to treat a person doing their best, in theatre, opera, stadium or race circuit. Perhaps some politicians sort of ask for it, but not many even of them. How much does that thick hide cost them? More than some of us think.

Korean - VxFan
>> I seem to remember a sort of murmur but didn't identify it as booing.

Sounds like boos to me towards the end.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24198503

Korean - corax
>> Yes it would make it more interesting Corax; but we should wish ill fortune to
>> somebody because he's successful, even if he does have the best car

I don't wish him harm Manatee - just a small mistake, enough to get him back into the middle of the pack. Once Vettel is out in front, it's hard to stop him. And he is good in the rain.

I don't think I want to hear another Germanic scream from inside the helmet either :)

Deadpan Raikkonen should win - just to see the reluctant look of victory on his face.

"OK, we're all done here, I need a drink".

F1 Future drivers like horse jockeys ? - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24394215

All very silly but is the future little guys and up the power steering ? :-(

link edited as full stop at the end prevented it from working
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 5 Oct 13 at 00:18

F1 Future drivers like horse jockeys ? - corax
>> All very silly but is the future little guys and up the power steering ?

Get jockeys to drive them.

F1 Future drivers like horse jockeys ? - Dutchie
Why not little robots the sport is going that way or is it still a sport?

F1 Future drivers like horse jockeys ? - Oldgit
>> Why not little robots the sport is going that way or is it still a
>> sport?
>>

It is not a sport per se, is it? It is a highly 'fixed' or manipulated car racing display obviously with a lot of skill and thought for the safety of the drivers - than goodness for that. Otherwise all sorts of daft rules are imposed or revoked just to tweak this whole F1 circus, that travels around the world each year with their gladiators becoming overpaid racing superstars.
 Korean GP - VxFan
Just like to thank my local radio station for mentioning who won qualifying for tomorrow's race, BEFORE the highlights have been shown on BBC1.

Idiots.

Not sure I can be bothered watching it now.

Korean GP - Robin O'Reliant
>> Just like to thank my local radio station for mentioning who won qualifying for tomorrow's
>> race, BEFORE the highlights have been shown on BBC1.
>>
>> Idiots.
>>
>> Not sure I can be bothered watching it now.
>>

Add to that the banner running along the bottom of the screen on BBC News.

Yep, idiots.

Korean GP - corax
Against all my expectations that was a brill race. Ok the usual Vettel win, but the battle going on behind was great. Tyres delaminating, Webers car on fire, Hulkenberg somehow managing to keep Hamilton behind him in a Sauber and get fourth. Lot's of overtaking.

Just goes to show how good Vettels car is, 'cos the safety car came out three times and every time he was pulling away when race restarted.

Korean GP - Bromptonaut
In half asleep state yesterday morning I misheard Vettel as Rattle!

Maria de Villota: F1 reserve driver found dead - Focusless
Sad news: www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24487701

"Formula 1 reserve racing driver Maria De Villota has been found dead in a hotel room in Seville, Spain.

No cause of death has yet been released for the 33-year-old Spaniard, who lost her right eye in a crash while testing for the Marussia team last year."

Crash discussed previously in vol 18
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=10608&m=246442&v=e

Japanese GP - TheManWithNoName
Formula 1 isn't supposed to be funny but I had to laugh whilst watching the repeat of the Japanese GP this morning. The female commentator they use announced "Lewis Hamilton was being squeezed by the Red Bulls". Sounded kinda painful.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 14 Oct 13 at 00:49

Japanese GP - VxFan
Romain Grosjean seems to have stepped up a gear, compared to what he was a few months ago. Obviously trying to impress his bosses at Lotus now that Kimi is leaving.

Japanese GP - Armel Coussine
>> Obviously trying to impress his bosses at Lotus now that Kimi is leaving.

Wouldn't he have been trying to do that all along? He's just getting better at it. Certainly drove a good one today.

I thought Webber was perhaps prevented from winning by his team, which called him in for a third stop. He seemed to think so too.

Japanese GP - corax
Weber seems to be jinxed, whether he is prevented from winning, his car catching fire, or hitting someone else.

Hulkenberg is doing well in that Sauber. Good luck to him.
Last edited by: corax on Mon 14 Oct 13 at 11:56

Japanese GP - henry k
Is this the secret to Sebastian Vettel's success?

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24511950

New camera shots give the game away ?

Japanese GP - rtj70
Could be that and many other design differences. The big difference the Red Bull team has is Adrian Newey.

It might all get shaken up with the new F1 rules next year of course. It was during one change of rules that Brawn racing beat everyone with their double diffuser. Then for a while we had exhaust gases going to the diffuser to increase downforce - so the engine would be running oddly when you wouldn't expect it to like in corners.

F1 is all about coming up with designs that satisfy the spirit of the rules but gain an advantage over others. Take the double diffuser design - it was not easy to incorporate in other cars because a lot needed redesigning etc.

One thing I've wondered about is the comment from Red Bull that they have better engine control systems.... I thought they all used a Mclaren ECU for the engines? But some rumours suggest they have a form of traction control system. And that TCS might use KERS - and we know Red Bull often has problems with KERS.

GP of India. - Roger.
So - Vettel wins yet again and clinches the 2013 Championship.
Pleased to see Grosjean on the podium and Perez did pretty well, too compared with Button who was nowhere.
Best bit of the day - Vettel's impressive donuts on the start/finish straight after winning!

GP of India. - Dutchie
Sebastian Vettel is part of the story,don't forget British top engineer Adrian Newey for Red Bull.

Next Year they be racing in 1.6 Turbo V6 Engines.Let's hope the turbo's don't catch fire.

GP of India. - rtj70
It is when the rules change for the cars that a team that has not done so well can make a difference. Think when Brawn took over Honda and had the double diffuser. A lot of very clever designers who's job it is to exploit the rules - think blown diffusers.

The new rules are not just smaller but turbo V6 engines. KERS will play a bigger part too. And Red Bull have problems with KERS this season which some attribute to using it as part of a traction control system.

I think the loss of Brawn from Mercedes will be bad for the team. But he might go to Mclaren in some role or other.

GP of India. - VxFan
>> I think the loss of Brawn from Mercedes will be bad for the team.

Apparantely Niki Lauda is fighting his cause and wants him to stay.

tinyurl.com/pjsdomy - skysports.com/f1/news

GP of India. - VxFan
>> I think the loss of Brawn from Mercedes will be bad for the team.

Confirmed that he's off.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25125831

Executive directors Toto Wolff and Paddy Lowe will lead the team.

GP of India. - Roger.
>> >> I think the loss of Brawn from Mercedes will be bad for the team.
>>
>>
>> Confirmed that he's off.
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25125831
>>
>> Executive directors Toto Wolff and Paddy Lowe will lead the team.

....and here:- www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/10480164/Ross-Brawn-to-leave-Mercedes-on-December-31.html

GP of India. - henry k
and here
www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/11/ross-brawn-bows-to-the-inevitable-and-steps-down-from-mercedes-f1-team/

with a good photo.

VW Polo R wins! - Rudedog
Just seen that VW have won the WRC on their debut with the Polo R, didn't really follow the whole season so don't know how strong the competition was.

Architects of F1 - Jo Ramirez - Manatee
This is a one hour programme to be broadcast on Sky Sports at 4.30 on Sunday immediately after the coverage of Abu Dhabi.

It should be worth watching if they have made a decent job of it.

All I have to do is find somebody local with Sky Sports who can record it to DVD. Is that even possible?

Abu Dhabi GP - henry k

"Lotus were the centre of paddock speculation on Thursday after Raikkonen failed to turn up for the media day.
He had been upset by a radio exchange during the Indian Grand Prix when the team's trackside operations director Alan Permane swore at him when asking him to let Grosjean by in the closing laps.
Raikkonen needed some calming words from team boss Eric Boullier before he would get on a plane and fly to Abu Dhabi.
He turned up at the track only an hour or so before the first practice session."

Will he last another season?

Abu Dhabi GP - Manatee

>> Will he last another season?

Until Ferrari tell him to let Alonso past, maybe?

Abu Dhabi GP - rtj70

The F1 title is decided and he goes to Ferrari next season - not sure what point you are making.

Abu Dhabi GP - henry k
>> >> Will he last another season?
>>
>> The F1 title is decided and he goes to Ferrari next season - not sure what point you are making.
>>
He is already in dispute with his current team. Not a happy bunny and not a team player.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24776816

Will he be happy and stay with Ferrari for the whole season or return to retirement?

Abu Dhabi GP - rtj70
He's not happy because they are not paying him. That's what I'd read anyway.

And he didn't retire from F1 last time. Ferrari got rid of him and paid him a lot of money in the process.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 2 Nov 13 at 12:39

Abu Dhabi GP - henry k
Alonso was released from hospital on Sunday but had a further check-up on Monday after suffering discomfort ( from a 28G impact over the kerb ).

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24813380

Abu Dhabi GP - VxFan
>> Raikkonen

He's given up on this one.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24889383

Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen will miss the final two races of the season to undergo back surgery, team principal Eric Boullier told BBC Sport.

Abu Dhabi GP - Roger.
>> >> Raikkonen
>> >> Will he last another season?
>>
>> He's given up on this one.
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24889383
>>
>> Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen will miss the final two races of the season to undergo
>> back surgery, team principal Eric Boullier told BBC Sport.

Sounds like the equivalent of "diplomatic flu".

USA GP - henry k
A chance for Davide Valsecchi to shine?

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24889383

USA GP - Westpig
Hmm...there's a yarn there.

USA GP - henry k
Bernie is in control!

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24831606

USA GP - Roger.
Yes - I saw that and guffawed heartily at the jumped up little fellow spinning merrily
The day he retires will be a good day for F1, IMO.

Driver changes - henry k
Felipe Massa joins Williams for 2014 to replace Pastor Maldonado.

Maldonado is likely to move to Lotus to replace Kimi Raikkonen but also has options at Force India or Sauber

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24862356

Driver changes - henry k
McLaren to replace Sergio Perez with Kevin Magnussen in 2014

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24903504

Driver changes - VxFan
>> Felipe Massa joins Williams for 2014

Let's hope he doesn't go the same way as Barrichello did.

Driver changes - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/25157499

Hulkenberg will now drive for Force India, where sources say his deal has been done.

He is expected to be joined by Mexican former McLaren driver Sergio Perez, who is on the verge of concluding his own deal with Force India

Hulkenberg's Sauber seat will be taken by German Adrian Sutil, whose contract is also said by sources to be secured but has not yet been announced.

Paul Di Resta, will lose his place in F1 and is hoping to land a seat in US-based IndyCar racing.

Driver changes - henry k
Kamui Kobayashi is clocking up the laps in the Caterham as he becomes reacquainted with the sport. The Japanese was forced to sit out last season, despite a decent effort for Sauber in 2012 which saw him take his first podium. However, helped by his fans, who raised over £1m, he secured the Caterham drive - which he says he is doing for free.

www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/f1-kamui-kobayashi-returns-to-formula-one-with-caterham--and-will-drive-for-free-9074209.html

Kobayashi was offered a new contract by Ferrari for this season, which would have included an expanded role in their F1 programme, such as simulator testing.
But his desire to return to F1 full-time, in conjunction with the fact he offered to drive for free as well as handing over £1million in sponsorship raised by his fans to get him back into the sport, all played a key role in attaining the drive with Leafield-based Caterham.

Impressive !

2015 race venues etc - henry k
Bahrain F1 Grand Prix to become night race

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25155294

Stupid idea - Westpig
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25310466

How ridiculous..and false

Stupid idea - Manatee
False as in untrue?

If true the double points would be a stupid idea. There will be unintended consequences, apart from the unfairness aspect, not sure what they will be.

Stupid idea - henry k
>> www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25310466
>>
>> How ridiculous..and false
>>

Just like a circus that needs more acts.
F1 needs more factors introduced to mix it all up :-(
Dodgy tyres, night races, more buttons to play with.
Sprinkler system for all tracks ?
Less like a race these days. Unless you have a commentary - who is in the lead is a guess.

Stupid idea - Skip
>> www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25310466
>>
>> How ridiculous..and false
>>

What they really need to do is somehow stop the mind numbing boring procession that F1 has become over the last few years. They must have lost thousands of viewers (of which I was one) and it is now testing the patience of even the most dedicated fans I know !

Stupid idea - No FM2R
>>..and false

Is the whole double points / last race thing not true?

Stupid idea - henry k
www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/10508970/Sebastian-Vettel-says-FIAs-double-points-idea-is-absurd.html

Stupid idea - Zero
If Vettel says its a stupid idea, I'm all for it.

Stupid idea - Armel Coussine
Surely the real F1 drama is di Resta and Anthony Hamilton suing each other's bums off? Can they afford it? I see many lawyers licking their chops.

Of course, peanuts compared to Bernie vs. the Third Reich* but then they can afford it.

*No offence, just couldn't resist it.

Stupid idea - Westpig
>> ..and false

...as in a false spectacle, not sport....(as opposed to the article not being accurate).

Stupid idea - henry k
Double points in last race plan to go ahead

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25859321

One leading team boss told BBC Sport before the meeting on the condition of anonymity that "most participants would agree to ditch it".
He said Ecclestone and the FIA had "completely misjudged the predictable negative response from the public".
Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo had said last month that he was "not enthusiastic about it, because for me it looks too artificial".

However, none of the teams made a major issue of the plan at the meeting. This is almost certainly because they consider it is not an issue over which it is important enough to be worth getting into a dispute with Ecclestone

Stupid idea - henry k
Stupid, Stupid, Stupid idea!

Bernie Ecclestone wants to extend his controversial double-points scheme to the last three races of the season.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25955560

Stupid idea - No FM2R
>>Stupid, Stupid, Stupid idea!

Well, at first I completely agreed. But then I wondered, will it cause more experimentation in the early part of the season on the basis that it'll be worthwhile if it enables one to win the last three races?

McLaren: Ron Dennis replaces Martin Whitmarsh - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/25766407

Ron Dennis has staged an internal coup and wrestled back control of the McLaren Formula 1 team.

McLaren: Ron Dennis replaces Martin Whitmarsh - Armel Coussine
Wow! That's a turnup for the book. I must consult my sources.

Piece in yesterday's comic sugggested Whitmarsh as a possible successor to Bernie Ecclestone in charge of F1. Must say it didn't look too convincing to me.

Ecclestone is charged with bribery in Germany for giving $44m to a German businessman who has already been jailed for taking the money. To me there's a suggestion of blackmail.

That would seem a lot of money to most of us, but I don't think it does to Mr Ecclestone.

McLaren: Ron Dennis replaces Martin Whitmarsh - Westpig
>> Ecclestone is charged with bribery in Germany for giving $44m to a German businessman who
>> has already been jailed for taking the money.

...and now:

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25749464

Wonder how this will pan out. Do they want his money or his scalp?

McLarens 2014 car - Ateca chris
Just been unveiled all silver, but will it go as good as it looks?
tinyurl.com/q6o82jn

McLarens 2014 car - henry k
>> Just been unveiled all silver, but will it go as good as it looks?
>> tinyurl.com/q6o82jn
>>
Some more views
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25858643

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25859150
Williams ideas

McLarens 2014 car - Westpig
So Eric Boullier for McLaren

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25858643

McLarens 2014 car - Armel Coussine
Powertrain is fascinating though, very complex with two separate, more powerful Kers-type regenerative electrical systems, one working off the turbo. Reliability problems are feared.

The cars have much less cubic capacity, about the same maximum power and are quite a lot heavier than last year's.

Personally I won't care if they are 4s a lap slower but I suppose some people will. They will make interesting new noises too.

McLarens 2014 car - Manatee
Notable that there is a lot of space for sale on that car - weren't they supposed to be announcing a new main sponsor in December?

McLarens 2014 car - henry k
>> Notable that there is a lot of space for sale on that car -
>>weren't they supposed to be announcing a new main sponsor in December?
>>
Lots of space on the drivers kit too.
Reflects on the lack of points last season

Testing and nose jobs - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25897264

Some pics of various nose jobs.

Lewis looses his :-(

Testing and nose jobs - crocks
If I'd paid good money for that Caterham nose job I'd be asking for my money back!
images.autosport.com/editorial/1390919016.jpg

Testing and nose jobs - bathtub tom
It's that sort of lateral thinking that gives some teams the edge. OK, it's as ugly as hell and doesn't look like it'll resist twisting, but whatever!

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25933093

a few seconds of the new sound and words from Lewis

Testing and nose jobs - Alastairw
Some of them are ugly, but its good to see the teams innovating, rather than all using similar designs.

In case you missed this

BBC F1 commentary box producer Tony Dodgins: "Here in testing, the cars have various warning lights on them. All have a flashing red light on the back of the car. This is a torque-reduction warning light. Basically, in the past, before a driver lifted off, he'd check his mirrors (well, usually) but with the torque distributor deciding where it is going to get the power from (engine, Ers, etc) various fuel-saving strategies could mean a car slowing down, say on the straight, other than simply via a throttle/torque map.

"Therefore, they are experimenting with warning lights to warn following cars whenever there is a torque reduction. The flashing green light on the back of Marcus Ericsson's Caterham, meanwhile, signifies a rookie driver not yet in possession of a superlicence (although it is a formality). Not to be confused with the green light on top of the roll hoop, which signifies to pit crew/marshals that a car is Ers-safe at that time and they can touch it."

Simples!

Testing and nose jobs - Manatee
Clear as mud. At least the driver behind will see the red light come on just before he rams the car in front up the chuff, so he'll know why it happened.

Testing and nose jobs - Zero
more likely when to push the new equivalent of the KERS button to zip round

Its like waving your hand saying "overtake now please"

>> If I'd paid good money for that Caterham nose job I'd be asking for my money back!
>>
Nose parade.
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25946895

Testing and nose jobs - rtj70
The wording on the new regulations about the front wing must have led a lot of teams to similar designs. Or they've been copying...?

Latest Forum Posts