Motoring Discussion > PCSO's and speedgun Legal Questions
Thread Author: retgwte Replies: 13

PCSO's and speedgun - retgwte
So here in sleepy village yesterday afternoon we had two PCSO's manning a speedgun.

Not stopping cars, just taking numbers down.

In the middle of the afternoon when the only people driving past were little old ladies doing 25 mph.

There is a problem with dangerous driving, later at night its common place to see cars doing 85 down the high street. A time of night when police are never anywhere to be seen. And usually the same cars, I know them well.

What a waste of public money.

For one 2 cheap people doing something one properly trained copper could have done on his own. Just wasting their time at the wrong time of day.

Total waste of taxes.
 PCSO's and speedgun - Alanovich
Hopefully they're booking the old dears for driving too slowly, with their foglights on. On the wrong side of the road. Asleep.

Youngsters aren't the only menace on the roads, and speed isn't the only issue.
no chance of that is there.

speed kills dont you know? he said sarcastically.

they even let little old ladies who pull in front of motorbikes and kill the rider off, when anyone younger would be getting their licence taken off them, they much prefer doing ordinary people for doing 36 in a 30
 PCSO's and speedgun - bathtub tom
I had one pointed at me on my pushbike the other day - I was doing 12MPH.

Bored? I asked as I passed. He nodded.
 PCSO's and speedgun - TheManWithNoName
Maybe not such a waste of time.
A retired work colleague and her husband volunteered to monitor speedsters through her sleepy village. She and a few other residents regularly use a speed gun and note reg numbers of anyone exceeding 36mph.
They enter details of make and model of car and whether the driver was male or female and the time.
They have been trained in the use of the radar gun. Details are then fed through to the police and if a car has been caught more than once already going too fast, plod pays them a visit for a friendly chat or they can actually prosecute.

One of the regular cuplrits is a doctor who has been known to take photo's of those manning the checkpoint, whilst driving through the village at 40mph+.
 PCSO's and speedgun - Zero
>> They have been trained in the use of the radar gun. Details are then fed
>> through to the police and if a car has been caught more than once already
>> going too fast, plod pays them a visit for a friendly chat or they can
>> actually prosecute.

Not sure the ole bill can prosecute unless they are the ones who have the evidence.

Dont hold with the idea of busy body jobsworth villagers doing the police's job.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 9 Aug 13 at 14:28
 PCSO's and speedgun - No FM2R
I recall vaguely that there was some offence of "with excessive speed" or some such and that simply required a number of independent witnesses.

Or perhaps that was Careless Driving.

Or perhaps I'm dreaming.
Re "Dont hold with the idea of busy body jobsworth villagers doing the police's job" I agree. They tried to get volunteers here and everyone was far too sensible to put their hands up.

The real thugs who drive dangerously are quite likely to stop the car and thump someone. As much as the bias in residents doing it who are clearly going to ignore their mates driving too fast.

Real coppers and their ideas of traffic enforcement are bad enough, PCSO's is a joke, and asking random civvies to do it is plain stupid.

PCSO's and speedgun - Clk Sec
>>Not sure the ole bill can prosecute unless they are the ones who have the evidence.

I think in my area a first offender receives a letter from the local constabulary. For a second offence, though, it's a knock on one's front door.

>>Dont hold with the idea of busy body jobsworth villagers doing the police's job.

Couldn't agree more. And I'm no speed merchant.

PCSO's and speedgun - R.P.
They're probably listening to "community concerns" broought up in these consultation meetings they have. They have no power to enforce....the second PCSO might be being puppy walked.
I've seen PCSO's dishing out tickets from driving into a zigzag junction when the exit was not clear in London. (I was on foot waiting for someone ).

That I thought was stupid too.

Indeed that particular junction you will never get through unless you nudge forward before the exit is clear, as was demonstrated by police cars and buses doing exactly the same as what everyone else was being given tickets for as fast as they could hand them out.

Nuts
 PCSO's and speedgun - Manatee
>> Dont hold with the idea of busy body jobsworth villagers doing the police's job.
>>

Not a bad idea if the police can't/won't resource it where the residents think there is a problem.

Our parish council got one a while back, and a couple of volunteers were trained to point it. "Offenders" got a letter, double offenders got "advice".

Quite a few of the people who lobbied for some action got letters, including a couple of parish councillors.

After two or three goes and the word going round, regulars and locals ignored them, then the police sent a proper copper and nicked a few dozen quicksticks. Very funny.
 PCSO's and speedgun - Bill Payer

>> There is a problem with dangerous driving, later at night its common place to see
>> cars doing 85 down the high street. A time of night when police are never
>> anywhere to be seen.

They can't be exposed to such risk - Health & Safety dictates they have to keep out of harms way. ;)
yea why go after real tough nuts who may fight back, when there are plenty salt of the earth types easy prey for a ticket for doing 36 in a 30...

im sure it looks better in their statistics like that
Latest Forum Posts