Motoring Discussion > French police step up watch on British drivers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 11

French police step up watch on British drivers - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23619783

It is the height of the French holiday season and, under a scorching sun, a police team watches for speeding drivers on a highway near Toulouse..........................
 French police step up watch on British drivers - PR
So the UK are opting out. Nothing to worry about then ;)
 French police step up watch on British drivers - R.P.
other than being fined on the spot of course....
Yes, been on both sides. Have set off the odd camera and also been fined on the spot (it was the GF driving). Was expensive, 90e for speeding and 90e for crossing a solid line..
 French police step up watch on British drivers - jc2
NEWS ???????????
I suppose the news is that some countries are co operating to allow cross border camera fines. The UK isn't so not that relevant to us in the UK
 French police step up watch on British drivers - Bromptonaut
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23619783
>>
>> It is the height of the French holiday season and, under a scorching sun, a
>> police team watches for speeding drivers on a highway near Toulouse..........................

Well I drove that section today. No sign of speed traps - not that I'd bother them in the 'lingo.
 French police step up watch on British drivers - Dutchie
I haven't seen any speed traps on the 130km M/Way in France I think leeway is about 20km.

On the 110 km roads there where a few speedtraps a few years ago.Frenchman in a old Peugeot waved me down to slow up saved me money on one of these roads.
 French police step up watch on British drivers - Mike Hannon
There certainly are many more cameras and 'speed traps' in France these days. If you can't see them on the autoroute it may be because - as I have seen recently - the radar operators are hidden at an angle invisible from the carriageway below, on the approaches to overbridges.

The 'leeway' isn't about 20km either, so be warned. Radar 'guns' and fixed cameras in France are often screwed right down to about 2-3km - that's less than 2mph.

Luckily, if you put it that way, the norm in France is still to flash lights or give some other indication that the gendarmes are around.
 French police step up watch on British drivers - Woodster
Sunning myself in the Ariege now. Think I triggered a camera on the way down. I was going. Y sat nav speed plus a little but my friend down here tells me the leeway is only 4 - 5 %. Good to know that we're not information sharing!
 French police step up watch on British drivers - Armel Coussine
A few years ago, or what seems only a few years, half the cars on the Paris-Brussels autoroute would be doing 100 plus a lot of the time, up to about 120 in fact. Has mimsing caught on over there too? What a pity.
 French police step up watch on British drivers - Armel Coussine
Got a lift between Calais and Paris around 1960, maybe 59, in a sporting-variant two-door Simca Aronde. The driver, mid-30s, profession unknown, was an insouciant pedal-to-the-metal type who generally behaved like a speedhead which he could have been actually (amphetamine easy to get and popular in France then). He was changing stations on the radio, eating a loaf of bread, taking swigs out of a bottle of wine and when addressed turning round to look at us, all at around 90 or 100 on largely cobbled pre-autoroute although fairly decent A roads. It was raining a bit too. My then gf was so terrified she ended up crouching on the floor, but the geezer seemed to me to know what he was doing. One is so trusting and gung-ho when young.
Latest Forum Posts