Motoring Discussion > 'Disconnecting' a DPF Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 9

'Disconnecting' a DPF - legacylad
A self employed neighbour of mine retired recently. Whilst working he drove 30k+ pa in his '59 reg Mondeo Tdci. Once retired his motoring became local stop start and his Mondy was in the dealers thrice with DPF problems. Today he tells me it has been disconnected ....not by the Ford dealer, but his DPF problems resulting from short stop/start journeys are now a thing of the past. I was too busy to listen to his story re the technicalities, but find it hard to believe, as I thought that the DPF was an integral part of the exhaust system.
Has anyone heard of this scenario?
 'Disconnecting' a DPF - -
Becoming common, remove DPF replace it with a straight pipe and program it out of the computer.

Will be fine till the MOT includes a visual and/or electronic DPF check, and i'm none too sure about the insurance implications either as it could be viewed as a performance modification in the event of a serious accident when the car is minutely examined.

When the MOT test catches up they'll no doubt be doing what the de-cat lads do, fit DPF for the test and remove half an hour later.
 'Disconnecting' a DPF - RichardW
No need to fit a pipe, you just drill some holes in the matrix or smash it out, leaving the sensors intact - looks the same externally. The fact that it is not there is immediately obvious at the tail pipe though - a DPF'd car will be spotless, whereas a non-DPF will be sooty. The MOT has yet to catch up on DPFs at all - all diesel cars still have to have a smoke test, even though it is obvious by inspection of the tailpipe that the DPF is working and there is no smoke / soot!
 'Disconnecting' a DPF - movilogo
>> Once retired his motoring became local stop start

Time for a petrol car then.
 'Disconnecting' a DPF - Dutchie
Agree moviligo,should be illegal disconnecting a DPF.Or is it?
 'Disconnecting' a DPF - Shiny
There is no law specifying a DPF from new, so no law about removing them.

European emission standards define the acceptable limits for exhaust emissions of NEW vehicles sold in EU member states, which most (but not every) manufacturer chooses to include DPF's in order to comly with.

Once the vehicle is in service, it does not necessarily (explicitly) have to comply with these regimes in the UK, but has to pass the MOT smoke test as defined in In-Service Exhaust Emission Standards for Road Vehicles manual, which differs for each vehicle variant.

Both diesel and gasoline cars both have MOT test procedures which differ from the methodology of the EU test.

With gasoline cars' MOT's, a crude emission test is carried out which specifies a typical HC limit of 200PPM, but the EU tests don't even specify a limit until EU5, and we can have 5x the CO in the MOT test than >EU3 standard.

Hybrid vehciles don't even have MOT emissions test, even though they may have a defective conventional engine.

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_730.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards
www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/194133/Emissions_17th_Edition.pdf
 'Disconnecting' a DPF - -
Doesn't construction and use legislation cover DPF?
 'Disconnecting' a DPF - ....
By fitting a DPF does anyone know the long term effect ?

We have been told about the people who live near to or in city centres who are affected but what is the long term affect of moving these exhaust gases out of the city into the countryside where crops are grown and cattle graze ?
How is moving the exhaust gases directly, through regeneration at higher road speeds which are not achieved in an urban environment, into the food chain going to be a good thing ?
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 13 Aug 13 at 20:14
 'Disconnecting' a DPF - Shiny
The DPF is supposed to trap C that would be emitted at slow speeds and oxidise it into CO2 at faster engine speeds, so I suppose it could give higher crop yields, but I doubt the affect - if any - is measurable.
 'Disconnecting' a DPF - CGNorwich
"what is the long term affect of moving these exhaust gases out of the city into the countryside where crops are grown and cattle graze ? "

The burning of oxygen and the release of Carbon dioxide in rural areas by these devices will eventually make life untenable in the countryside and will affect negatively affect house prices.
Latest Forum Posts