Motoring Discussion > Replacing the Ka - part 2 Buying / Selling
Thread Author: tyro Replies: 13

Replacing the Ka - part 2 - tyro
For Part 1: www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=11784

Hello to everybody who remembers me! I'm still alive and healthy - albeit busy.

Ka, however, seems to have bitten the dust, and is fast turning into something that rhymes with the latter.

My wife and I have been looking for a replacement. After much discussion and thought over the past few months, it looks like it's got to be something small.

We might go for new - probably Mii / Citigo / Up!

But we've mostly been thinking second hand. The number of second hand vehicles in our area is small, so we traveled down to central Scotland and looked at a few cars.

One or two vehicles look like possibilities.

I have questions about one - a 2008 Fiesta.

It's for sale at a big main dealership which is part of a large national chain of dealers - one of the largest chains of main dealerships in the UK. The only owner of the vehicle has been that large national chain. I'm told that it was probably used as a company car by an employee.

I have two question marks.

One is the fact that my nose tells me it was probably used by a smoker. It's not too bad - but can anything be done to lessen it.

The other is the service history - basically:
January 2009 - 11,600 miles
November 2009 - 21,500 miles
June 2011 - 36,300 miles
June 2012 - 48,200 miles.

Any thought?
 Replacing the Ka - part 2 - Robin O'Reliant
Fiesta service intervals are 12500 miles, or presumably one year if the annual mileage is below that so it's more or less by the book. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is a matter of opinion, but I doubt you'd easily find anything that's been serviced over and above what the book says.

As for a smokers car, it depends how heavy a smoker the owner was. Not too bad and a good valet should get rid of any stains or smells.
Thanks, RR.

My concern was that between the 2nd and 3rd services there was an interval of 18 months and 15000 miles. 13 months and 13000 miles I wouldn't worry about. 18 months and 15000 I was less certain about.

The car is here: tinyurl.com/pzq4p7v

The other car that we thought was quite interesting was: tinyurl.com/pheus8e
 Replacing the Ka - part 2 - Roger.
Don't forget to check the VED rates for the cars which you are considering.
Jazz is pretty good (band E =£125 pa) and in its auto version is #1 or #2 on the list we are currently considering.
Last edited by: Roger on Wed 14 Aug 13 at 13:26
 Replacing the Ka - part 2 - Robin O'Reliant
If everything else added up the single longer period between services wouldn't put me off.
 Replacing the Ka - part 2 - Zero
>> Thanks, RR.
>>
>> My concern was that between the 2nd and 3rd services there was an interval of
>> 18 months and 15000 miles. 13 months and 13000 miles I wouldn't worry about. 18
>> months and 15000 I was less certain about.

Wouldn't worry me.
 Replacing the Ka - part 2 - The Nut
>> As for a smokers car, it depends how heavy a smoker the owner was. Not
>> too bad and a good valet should get rid of any stains or smells.
>>

It's probably already had a valet but to what standard? One car I had smelled faintly of smoke when I got it but stank with the heater on full, would recommend turning the heat up on the test drive.
 Replacing the Ka - part 2 - swiss tony
>> I have questions about one - a 2008 Fiesta.
>>
>> It's for sale at a big main dealership which is part of a large national chain of dealers - one of the largest chains of main dealerships in the UK.
>> The only owner of the vehicle has been that large national chain. I'm told that it was probably used as a company car by an employee.

>> The other is the service history - basically:
>> January 2009 - 11,600 miles November 2009 - 21,500 miles June 2011 - 36,300 miles June 2012 - 48,200 miles.
>> Any thought?

Yup...

The only owner of the vehicle has been that large national chain
OK... and they have owned it for 5 years?

I'm told that it was probably used as a company car by an employee.
Not for 5 years.. company cars are normally 'demos' and get sold on after 6months or so unless..
either it is a 'pool' car - used as a runabout, that anyone uses or, its a courtesy car, used by customers when theirs in in for service/repair...
That chain has been accused of telling porkies before - and I think are doing so with this car!
Last edited by: swiss tony on Wed 14 Aug 13 at 15:24
Update:

Didn't buy either of the cars in the end. I reckon they were both pretty good, and would have been fine, but wasn't quite convinced.

In the end, we went for a slightly newer Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSI - 2008, as opposed to 2005, with fewer miles on the clock. We are buying it under the Honda Approved Used scheme, which gives a little more peace of mind. I pick it up next week.

Of course, since it's 5 years old, I reckon that I can expect it to start falling apart in a year or two.

;-)
 Replacing the Ka - part 2 - Alastairw
Sounds good. This place is rapidly becoming the Jazz owners club!
And I'm not even 60.

In fact, I'm younger than Jeremy Clarkson! (Albeit only by days.)

Having a Berlingo and a Jazz probably says a lot about me.

:-)

Last edited by: tyro on Mon 19 Aug 13 at 19:04
 Replacing the Ka - part 2 - Fenlander
>>>Having a Berlingo and a Jazz probably says a lot about me.

Play in a rock band and have a drum set to carry??
 Replacing the Ka - part 2 - Roger.
>> Sounds good. This place is rapidly becoming the Jazz owners club!
Yeah - but mine is a 2002 auto, albeit with only 22500 miles and a service history.
Do I get a double prize for the oldest owner of the oldest Jazz here? me :-)
BTW - it looks new, inside & out, unlike me :-)
Last edited by: Roger on Mon 19 Aug 13 at 19:54
So madf was correct in his identification over at the other place!

(I must confess that I did wonder.)

"BTW - it looks new, inside & out,..."

Well done. That's my wife's main priority when buying second hand, and it isn't easy to find. Ours comes pretty close - though there are rather a lot of scuffs on the plastic in the boot.
Last edited by: tyro on Mon 19 Aug 13 at 22:30
Latest Forum Posts