Motoring Discussion > Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines now Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 13

Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines now - henry k
Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines in force

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23713732
 Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines now - Manatee
I hope this isn't abused by jobs worth police; there are some quite vague 'offences' on that list. Pedestrians next - no more walking on cracks in the pavement.

I wish they'd include loud "music". I'd rate that as a bigger offence than being in the wrong lane at a roundabout, which I often manage at unfamiliar ones despite my best efforts.
 Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines now - Mike Hannon
I look forward to seeing British police numbers doubled in a bid to make all this work.
Haven't they ever heard the adage 'where there is no enforcement there is no law'?

Mind you, if tailgating became subject to automatic fines in France the national deficit would be wiped out by next week.
 Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines now - Zero
>> I look forward to seeing British police numbers doubled in a bid to make all
>> this work.
>> Haven't they ever heard the adage 'where there is no enforcement there is no law'?
>>
>> Mind you, if tailgating became subject to automatic fines in France the national deficit would
>> be wiped out by next week.

Here is a business proposition.

HM Gov provides a bounty of 25 quid for every evidential video I get of a middle lane hogging. I'll take the M3 Junc 1 to Junc 6 as my franchise area.
 Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines now - Focusless
Did over 500 miles on the country's motorways recently (in a 1.3 Colt, with 2 passengers, luggage + dog!), up to the Lakes for a break at parents' house in Kendal. And actually I didn't think the driving was that bad - didn't take the M3 though....
 Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines now - Fursty Ferret
>> HM Gov provides a bounty of 25 quid for every evidential video I get of
>> a middle lane hogging. I'll take the M3 Junc 1 to Junc 6 as my
>> franchise area.
>>

Have always thought that cars should have "pop-up" cameras in the bonnet for occasions like this. Catches the idiot doing 100+ in the wet on the M25 too.
 Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines now - Mapmaker
Wheelspins too...

Anybody can slip their wheels by accident. (Except on a Subaru.)
 Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines now - Old Navy
It will probably be enforced by a PCSO in a panda car who has less advanced driver training than many folk here.
 Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines now - corax
Will they spot any of these people? It's rare that I see any traffic police.
 Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines now - CGNorwich
"Have always thought that cars should have "pop-up" cameras in the bonnet for occasions like this."

Death ray would be better!

Seriously though how do you legally define a middle lane hogger. Is it as someone who is occupying a lane other than the nearside lane and is not travelling faster than the nearest vehicle in the lane to his left? Seems very hard to prove and could be a number of legitimate reasons for driving in this manner
 Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines now - Old Navy
How about this one, Very wet Motorway, you wait in lane two a bit back from a HGV in lane one so that you can see through the spray and it is safe to pull into lane three to overtake? OK there is unlikely to be a traffic cop within 100 miles and if there was he would have more important things to sort out, but............
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 16 Aug 13 at 10:34
 Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines now - Meldrew
I still don't really see how this going to work, if at all. Motorist pulled over for using a hand-held mobile; says he/she wasn't. What will be proof of the alleged offence? Same with tailgating, we all know, broadly, what it is but it if it is going to be a punishable offence it is going to have to be defined, presumably. And even if it is defined what will the proof be? Opinion, measurements taken from photographs? More knee-jerk legislation IMO. It is in force today, where can we see the rules? I don't condone either of the offences but I do see a major enforcement problem along the lines of who is around to do it and what will the proof be?
 Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines now - Manatee
So it's £100 FP for not wearing a seat belt, but only £300 for having no insurance?

That doesn't compute.
 Lane hogging and tailgating on-the-spot fines now - Dutchie
That is why so many people drive without insurance, why worry the premium cost more and the punishment low.
Latest Forum Posts