Motoring Discussion > Used car warranties Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 10

Used car warranties - Roger.
Has anyone had real life experience of claiming on a semi-auto gearbox under an aftermarket warranty?
Looking at the T &Cs it seems that auto gearbox cover seems only to home in on torque converter types.
 Used car warranties - Skip
Roger, I have no actual experience of the above, but as is often said on here most of these aftermarket warranties are pretty much worthless anyway.
 Used car warranties - The Nut
tinyurl.com/lmuda7y

From family members who have tried to claim I know that electronic handbrakes are not covered, only traditional manual ones, never heard of a manual handbrake failure on non banger car except those which released as the discs cooled and that wasn't something that could be repaired.
Last edited by: The Nut on Sat 17 Aug 13 at 13:29
 Used car warranties - RattleandSmoke
It is a total scam, only covering things they know are unlikely to go wrong and not covering expensive faults.
 Used car warranties - -
Roger, it has to be said you're playing the motoring equivalent of Russian roulette considering an out of makers warranty car with an automated manual box.

I've read nearly all the replies to your thread about these things, most people prepared to buy them are those likely to replace them once or shortly after the makers warranty expires.

Best of luck if you do go down this road, i haven't the foggiest idea if the insurer will fork out on a repair but it proves you are not happy about the potential reliability as you are asking specifically about the box going wrong before even buying one, why put yourself through this?

I suspect the aftermarket warranty cost would more than cover the difference in VED costs if you went for a more robust standard TC auto.
Yup - I've shelved the idea of an automated manual after talking to a dealer selling an 18,000 mile, ex Motability, Citroen C3 sensodrive. 2005 reg.
It is advertised with a full service history plus its VOSA MOT history, and including a recent engine and gearbox service.
Hmm, thought I, a gearbox service.
"What is a gearbox service?" said I in my most innocent voice, to which the dealer replied
Oh - it's a fully reconditioned gear box with a full 12 month warranty!"
"Oh" said I - a new gearbox needed at 18,000 miles - that doesn't say much for its reliability, does it?"
"Er no - there have been a few problems with these type of boxes".
"Thank you, for your help and honesty, but I think I'll leave it at that" said I.
Tears up printouts of ALL semi auto gearbox cars!
I spoke to my sister (rarely!) and .they have a Honda Jazz CVT 7, since new, for about 9 or 10 years and it has never given a moment's trouble.
I may look for one of those, but the used prices are steep:-

tinyurl.com/m434rwc

Last edited by: Roger on Sat 17 Aug 13 at 20:47
 Used car warranties - No FM2R
Why do people confuse these things with their statutory rights?

If you bought something with a problem which is covered by your SOG rights, then you go after the seller. Be that a garage or Comet or similar.

If you have no rights, which probably means you just bought unwisely or you mistreated it, then perhaps one of these "warranties" will cover the gap. But your expectations are not enshrined in your SOG rights, or even in what is reasonable. They are governed by the contact you entered into. Which is usually rubbish.

Hope for luck.

The main beneficiary from these things are the selling garages, because they get to bounce a whole bunch of their statutory liabilities in the direction of an insurance company.

This looks quite nice:- tinyurl.com/l6bcdw9

as does this:- tinyurl.com/megncuj
 Used car warranties - -
Both look decent cars, i have quite a soft spot for the Sirion and that service history sounds good, you can only judge on what you can see and the same goes for the seller.

Interesting post from FM2, the dealer we bought the Outlander from doesn't do worthless warranties he warrants the cars himself, to be fair he sorted the few things needed to be done quite acceptably, sticking a brand new high quality battery on within a month of purchase when it obviously could face another winter.
But warranty such as that depends on being reasonably close to the seller.
 Used car warranties - madf
>> This looks quite nice:- tinyurl.com/l6bcdw9
>>
>> as does this:- tinyurl.com/megncuj
>>

Daihatsu use Toyota engines and gearboxes. Being a 2006, likely to be a automated manual (MMT). Avoid. The only people who can fix them are Toyota and actuators can fail £1000 a pop plus labour. They are also prone to funny actions at start and in start/stop operation...

BIL has a Suzuki Swift Auto. Likes it. He normally drives Mercedes autos...
Last edited by: madf on Sun 18 Aug 13 at 10:05
 Used car warranties - -
Being a 2006, likely to be a automated manual
>> (MMT). Avoid. The only people who can fix them are Toyota and actuators can fail
>> £1000 a pop plus labour. They are also prone to funny actions at start and
>> in start/stop operation...

I never knew Daihatsu used the MMT automated manual, always believed they stayed with proper autos, well you learn summat every day here.

Worth a phone call Roger, see if the seller A-knows the difference and B-tells the truth.
Latest Forum Posts