Motoring Discussion > LV ad: 'Good drivers like you'? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 10

LV ad: 'Good drivers like you'? - WillDeBeest
Seen a lot of this during the cricket and it bothers me. Quite apart from the meaningless promises it makes - 'One in four drivers could save up to (my italics) £130 - it portrays a dangerously wrong idea of a 'good driver'.

We see a young woman in a bright green car, driving too close behind an open truck that is clearly not well loaded. Something large then falls from the truck and bounces once in front of our driver's car, almost on the bonnet because she's so close. Without a sideways glance, she swerves into the busy next lane and continues on her way while cars behind her brake to a halt. Never mind a five-year NCD, she could have caused a pile-up.

Clearly it's a montage - the establishing shots don't look like a UK road but the car is a UK Mazda - but a 'good driver' should never have been in that situation. Better to hang well back or take the first opportunity to leave the dodgy truck well behind. As for the panic lane change, I'm lost for words.

The phrase 'good drivers like you' seems to have been edited out now, so perhaps there were complaints, but does this sort of thing bother anyone else?
 LV ad: 'Good drivers like you'? - CGNorwich
No - its an advert. I doubt whether it really bothers you either to be honest ;-)
 LV ad: 'Good drivers like you'? - WillDeBeest
The advert itself, of course not. But it didn't come from nowhere; it reflects the cultural idea that driving is about 'reactions', which is what puts blue Saxos up trees on Saturday nights.

Of course, driving properly and leaving space for the unexpected to happen around you is very hard to make look dramatic in ten seconds of TV.
 LV ad: 'Good drivers like you'? - Armel Coussine
That ad is real rubbish. WDB is right.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 24 Aug 13 at 14:46
"That ad is real rubbish. WDB is right."

Most ads are "real rubbish" . There to sell stuff. Wouldn't have thought most people would be any more bothered by that ad. or take it as as a recommended driving style than they would a James Bond car chase.

LV ad: 'Good drivers like you'? - Meldrew
What about the carp background song? Dum Diddy Dwee Dwee etc? WTF?
 LV ad: 'Good drivers like you'? - Dutchie
I liked the way Bill Hicks used to talk about advertising.Watch it on you tube spot on.
 LV ad: 'Good drivers like you'? - Armel Coussine
>> Wouldn't have thought most people would be any more bothered by that ad. or take it as as a recommended driving style than they would a James Bond car chase.

Not sure you're right there CGN. You are a rational person and presumably a safe, careful driver. There are many youngsters driving about who aren't rational like you and who may well still pride themselves on the fast, accurate reactions that help them get away with poor but ambitious driving. I was like that myself once, back in the mists of time. That ad will reinforce those unconscious attitudes in some, when it doesn't need to at all - it could send a rational subliminal message instead of that dangerous one.

People are much more strongly influenced by the huckstering side of capitalism than you seem to think.
"Not sure you're right there CGN."

OK after due consideration I think I'm wrong AC - you've convinced me.

I claim this statement as the first and only of its kind on the forum

LV ad: 'Good drivers like you'? - Bill Payer
>> Most ads are "real rubbish" . There to sell stuff. Wouldn't have thought most people
>> would be any more bothered by that ad.

Must admit it annoys me every time I see it. Perhaps moreso as we have multiple policies with LV=.

The other ad running again at the moment which annoys me is the VW one where you can buy a car in an instant at a supermarket or cornershop. We bought a VW a couple of years ago and the process was 3hrs of misery.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Sat 24 Aug 13 at 21:01
 LV ad: 'Good drivers like you'? - nice but dim
I think the LV ads are filmed in South Africa also that shape Mazda 2 wasn't on sale on an '02' reg.
Latest Forum Posts