Motoring Discussion > New depreciation calculator Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 10

New depreciation calculator - Crankcase
Allegedly, this:

www.cap.co.uk/consumer

is a new calculator for measuring depreciation, first time it's been available to the public ya da ya da.

Whatever, I chucked in a sensible replacement for mine, and compared with both a possible replacement and an "I'd love it but might be expensive" replacement.

The "love it but" one came out as 9k more in running costs over four years. Ouch!

Also gives you, allegedly, the CAP part exchange value on your existing car for free.

Yes, I put fake address and email details. No bother, it appears on screen.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 25 Aug 13 at 09:48
 New depreciation calculator - bathtub tom
Told me my old Kia was worth £400 less then the £400 I got for it!
 New depreciation calculator - Fullchat
Hmm? Asked too many personal questions for my liking. Is it a conduit to be pestered?
 New depreciation calculator - Lygonos

Poor old 'bozo@bawbag.com' is going to be getting pestered then.

New depreciation calculator - Ted

So is poor old Throg Pulpmaster...............

Gave me a private sale value of arauon £2500. Not bad when I gave just over £3K for it and it's 11 yrs old now.

Standard equipment listed a front grille..........????? and a ' towing hook ' which wasn't !

Ted

New depreciation calculator - Dog
The valuation results for my old jalopy were just about spot on.
 New depreciation calculator - Haywain
Cynical as ever............. is this one of those organisations that, if you give them your e-address, they will bombard you with spam forever or, worse, pass it on?
 New depreciation calculator - mikeyb
Not really thinking I let chrome autofill my details.....

Anyway, only email I got (so far) was a PDF summary of what came up on screen - quite useful.

More shocking was the value on the Volvo......

List £27K

Part ex today today at almost 18 months old and approaching 15K on the clock is...... (drum role)........... £14 - 15K

Glad its heading back to the leasing company in October

I know the lease company will have paid nowhere near the list for it, but given the cost of money, administration etc its been a cheap car for me, but find it hard to believe that someone isn't taking a hit somewhere
 New depreciation calculator - jc2
The only true way to calculate depreciation is to divide what you ACTUALLY paid(including all the extras)-not RRP by what you ACTUALLY receive when you sell it.Makes Ford/Vauxhall look a lot better compared with MB/BMW.
 New depreciation calculator - Tigger
I paid £24k for my landcruiser in mar 2008. It was 11 months old at the time.

Trade in value showing at 16,250 (exactly the figure the local toyota dealer offered me a month or two ago). I reckon that's pretty good for 5 years motoring. Private sale a couple of grand higher.
 New depreciation calculator - Tigger
>> The only true way to calculate depreciation is to divide what you ACTUALLY paid

Yes, I'm amazed at the car magazines which give a target price, but then work out the depreciation based on list price. It would be much more helpful if they used their own target price.
Latest Forum Posts