Motoring Discussion > Private parking charges Legal Questions
Thread Author: Statistical Outlier Replies: 4

Private parking charges - Statistical Outlier
Some of you may remember dilemma where someone parked my car in a stupid place at Brum airport, incurring a £50/£100 charge from NCP. Discussed here: honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=80126

After a long debate on the other side, I decided that the charge was not legally enforceable, and that there was no benefit to any of the people inconvenienced by my paying – NCP should have towed the car to get it out the way. So I didn't pay it.

Anyway, as predicted, the dire threats from NCP and their solicitors have come to nothing as they know they have no case, and I appear to be in the clear. So, as promised, I have just made a £50 donation to the MS Society – a far more worthwhile recipient of my cash.

Park carefully and considerately folks.
 Private parking charges - Clk Sec
>>I have just made a £50 donation to the MS Society

Well done that man - virtual pat on back.
 Private parking charges - Redviper
Good Stuff,

I always say that if i ever park in the "wrong" place and get a ticket like this, then i will too just ignore them - whether im man enough to actually do so , is another matter.

However as Chandler from "Friends" once said, (along the lines of) " just Put it through the shredder, if it doesnt exist you didnt get it" - simples
 Private parking charges - Iffy
NCP own and operate many car parks.

They are not the usual parking enforcement company run by a couple of burly skinheads from a rented room over a kebab shop.

My point is that if a large, well-resourced company such as NCP cannot enforce these charges, they must be truly unenforceable.

Private parking charges - Dieselfitter
Trouble is, when word gets round that private parking charges are unenforceable, there are people out there who would cheerfully park in the 10-minute drop-off zone next to the terminal and go off on holiday, whilst the rest of us are paying to park somewhere that's a bus ride away, if they thought they could get away with it. If there were no enforceable rules, where would we be?

Latest Forum Posts