Motoring Discussion > Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 24

Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - Old Navy
It is chucking it down here at the moment. My few months old Costco sourced Goodyear branded wiper blades were juddering across the screen to the point of extreme annoyance, the rubber blade seems to be hard and not "flipping" at the end of the wipe. The solution has been a pair of £5 each Tesco branded blades, even cheaper as they were surrepticiously slipped into Mrs ONs shopping trolley. They will no doubt end up being very expensive as she will get her revenge. :-)
 Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - Bill Payer
I've tried a few but always go back to Bosch - got some specific fit ones for daughter's Golf Mk6 the other day from an eBay seller for around £18 delivered for the pair.
 Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - madf
Never a fan of cheap wiper blades. Lots of mud on roads (and horse carp) so wipers in winter take a hammering.
 Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - VxFan
Still got the original wipers fitted to the Vectra. 7+ years old now. Although still pliable and showing no signs of cracking, I must get around to changing them soon as they're now starting to miss the edge of the screen. The blade holding frames are also getting loose, although knowing me I'll probably just tighten up the rivets with a hammer and vice.
>> Still got the original wipers fitted to the Vectra. 7+ years old now. Although still
>> pliable and showing no signs of cracking, I must get around to changing them soon
>> as they're now starting to miss the edge of the screen. The blade holding frames
>> are also getting loose, although knowing me I'll probably just tighten up the rivets with
>> a hammer and vice.
>>

You used to be able to get a tool to refinish the edges of the blades!

7 years is remarkable - the original fit blades on daughter's Golf were splitting at both ends and in the middle after 28 mths and about 20K miles.
 Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - -
They tend to be considerably thicker and heavier, but lorry wipers usually last around 3 to 5 years which means around 300k miles.

What does for most blades is using them to shift ice and dead insects, rips them to shreds.

Another way to prolong their life, and stop that awful skidding/juddering, is to flip them the other way when they are parked, if you don't they develop a lean one way.

This is the best supplier i've found online...www.five30wiperblades.co.uk/
 Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - Dave
For the Skoda I would buy just one wiper, put it on the drivers side, and move the drivers to the passenger side. But now I have a fancy new Renault with uneven size wipers, I may have to buy a whole pair.
 Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - carmalade
Everyone in the 70s and 80s used Trico wiper blades,so I thought I would give 'em a try again.So far so good and well impressed .Only down side ,not so british any more,now made in China.
 Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - MD
Like our Tea. Pah!...nuffinks the same no more.
 Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - zookeeper
>> Like our Tea. Pah!...nuffinks the same no more.
>>

never heard of yorkshire tea MD? it grows ont side ot pennines tha naws
>> 7 years is remarkable

I agree. Previous cars blades have only lasted 3 to 4 years before perishing. Same pattern too. Been in the same job for 22 years (eeek!) so car parked in the same car park as previous cars have been, garaged when at home, etc. It's a pity Vauxhall didn't make the rest of the cars components ever lasting too ;)

Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - Mapmaker
>>7 years.

That's extraordinary. I always think, when I change my blades, "Why didn't I do that before, what an improvement." And I do it about every 18 months - and always use Bosch (and regret it when I don't and tend to put the old Bosch back on and throw away the new ones).

But then I love a perfectly clean windscreen, and have squeegee and a packet of interior window-wipe cloths in the car. I know many people don't seem to care that their windows are filthy.

The first thing I do when I get into the car if it's been standing for a day or so is to use the washers - unless I've just cleaned the windows.
 Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - Cliff Pope
When I only had cars with flat windscreens I found the wipers lasted for ever. It's the complications of making them curve that wears them.
 Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - Alanovich
If that is true, it's a price worth paying for the benefits of the modern curved screen. Even Beetles were better with the curved screen.
 Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - madf
>> When I only had cars with flat windscreens I found the wipers lasted for ever.
>> It's the complications of making them curve that wears them.
>>

When I had cars with flat windscreens the wiper motors were grossly underpowered and the wipers were SLOW compared to modern ones. I am sure speed and power must take its toll on blades..
 Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - sajid
same here bosch for my jazz, getting the back rear wiper blade replaced was a tricky one, Honda wanted £20 for the back wiper, I managed to get it done for a £1.

The trick was I bought the replacement blade and took the old one out, and slid the new one in

saved myself £19

Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - sajid
same here bosch for my jazz, getting the back rear wiper blade replaced was a tricky one, Honda wanted £20 for the back wiper, I managed to get it done for a £1.

The trick was I bought the replacement blade and took the old one out, and slid the new one in

saved myself £19

oops double post
Last edited by: sajid on Fri 20 Sep 13 at 18:57
 Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - Zero
Bosch every time. Every other blade I have tried has been crap.
 Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - L'escargot
>> Bosch every time.

They might have worked for you but they were useless on my Mk I Focus. The blades were too long and the innermost end of one fouled the outermost end of the other in the parked position, and they were too stiff to conform to the curvature of the screen. I'd bought the type recommended by Bosch so it wasn't that I'd chosen incorrectly.
>> >> Bosch every time.
>>
>> They might have worked for you but they were useless on my Mk I Focus.
>> The blades were too long and the innermost end of one fouled the outermost end
>> of the other in the parked position, and they were too stiff to conform to
>> the curvature of the screen. I'd bought the type recommended by Bosch so it wasn't
>> that I'd chosen incorrectly.

Funny that, just your focus.
 Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - L'escargot
>> Funny that, just your focus.

I informed Bosch about the incorrect length, and their reply was that their blades were correct and it must have been a dimension on my car that was incorrect!

I now only buy genuine spares and they fit perfectly. They're also only about two or three pence more expensive than Halfords's price for Bosch blades.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 24 Sep 13 at 09:32
You ended up with the wrong length thats clear, but not because bosch made them the wrong length. You simply obtained the wrong blades for your car.

possibly good chance they had been packaged (or re packaged) or labeled wrongly.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 24 Sep 13 at 09:39
 Not Mud Flaps or floor mats. - Old Navy
I find that measuring the blades fitted helps with replacement blade sizes.
>> I informed Bosch about the incorrect length, and their reply was that their blades
>> were correct and it must have been a dimension on my car that was incorrect!
>>
That's the Germans for you - no other explanation is possible!
>> Bosch every time. Every other blade I have tried has been crap.

I think my 7+ year old ones are made by Valeo.

Heard both bad and good views about Bosch. I suppose it depends on whether they're the Chinese made ones or not.
Latest Forum Posts