Motoring Discussion > Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 15

Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters - smokie
As a "last dip" into our bank accounts, and a congrats for getting their degrees, we are giving our daughters £5k each to fund/partly fund purchase of a half decent car - given that those they've used for the past 3 - 5 years are close to being on their last legs. One will be an authorised user for her job with the local council but will probably do less annual mileage than the other - but assume they will both be around 8 - 12k.

One condition of the cash is that I call the shots to a degree. I've become quite a diesel fan lately, for it's economy and savings in road tax so have been steering them, maybe misguidedly, towards a 1.6 or 1.8 diesel. They both want small to medium size cars (no smaller than Fiesta, no larger than Focus) with 5 doors and all the modern trimmings (central locking, power steering etc) - and both quite like Fords. They aren't too bothered by street cred. Insurance needs to be low to middling, and service costs reasonable. One spotted Kia c'eed and Hyundai i30 on Autotrader and quite likes them.

So, at a price somewhere between £5k and £10k what would the team think best meets those criteria, age and model wise? I know that's a broad band but I am suggesting that they only need spend £6 - £7k to get something good whereas they seem to want to get loans to stretch it to £10k.
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 2 Jun 10 at 08:03
 Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters - diddy1234
Congrats to them for getting their degrees, I don't think they can go wrong with a Kia or Hyundai.

Depending upon the year of the Kia, the warranties are transferable from owner to owner (if they are able to get a 'newer' one).

Being biased, Id recommend a Rio 1.5l Diesel.

Goes like stink (for what it is), cheap insurance (around £250), servicing £200 mark and £35 year to road tax.

Second hand ones can be picked up for as little as £4.5k
Last edited by: diddy1234 on Wed 2 Jun 10 at 08:39
 Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters - Mike Hannon
No, no. At this stage, credibility (street or otherwise) is important.
 Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters - L'escargot
>> I've become quite a diesel fan ........

So that's why you call yourself smokie!
;-)
 Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters - Iffy
...both quite like Fords...

What sensible, charming, well brought up and well-educated young ladies they must be.

A Focus is a much nicer car than a Fiesta in this price range, but Focus diesels, even with PAS, are quite heavy to drive.

The clutch and brake pedals also require more effort than similar-sized cars from Korea or Japan.

A Toyota Corolla is lovely light drive, slightly smaller, and the 1.4 diesel is surprisingly nippy.

Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters - Skoda
Iffy, i reckon Ford should chip into your pension pot :-P Your persistance never fails to raise a smile :-) (not disagreeing, they are fine cars).

I've just driven a Fiat Punto for the first time, 59 plate. I can't really fault it for the money*. It rides pretty well and the seat's comfy for me, tons of space and i think it's attractive. I don't know if it was a 1.2 or a 1.4, but it wouldn't pull you out of bed, no torque at all, but enough power to cruise happily at 70ish.

* i hate the super-light steering - you can ping it from lock to lock with a flick of the finger on city mode, i don't understand why it has a city mode, normal mode is so disturbingly light anyway
 Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters - Iffy
...Iffy, i reckon Ford should chip into your pension pot :-P Your persistance never fails to raise a smile :-) (not disagreeing, they are fine cars)...

Behave - I'm recommending a Toyota in this case.

And I'm almost sincere about it.

You're right, of course.

If I wore spectacles, not only would they be tinted blue, they would be oval in shape.

Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters - Bazzabear
With vaguely similar criteria on size and spec, my wife and I have found ourselves looking at Fiat Bravos.
Seem to cover all your bases, and completely blow the opposition away on looks, both inside and out.
(of course looks aren't the most important of things, but the interior is a genuinely nice place to be, which can't hurt!)
Also have 5* NCAP, which might interest you if it's for your daughters.
 Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters - Stuu
If they like Ford, want a Focus sized car and a diesel, surely the decision is already made? Just gotta find some good ones, job done.
 Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters - nick1975
mini and fiat 500

let them be young

any additional costs offset by lower depreciation
 Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters - Armel Coussine
I imagine we are talking new or nearly new. Otherwise what's to stop them lobbying for V6 Alfa Romeos and playing on smokie's enthusiast side?

HJ used to review small 1.4 litre diesels well I seem to remember. Those small Citroens, Twingos and things are very stylish and zippy, and I am sure just as reliable as anything else. Just a thought.
 Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters - -
DPF's..do they drive enough to keep them happy, if not then Ceed and it's brethren does make sense, Navy has a new Ceed 1.6 Diesel and quite rightly is chuffed to bits it doesn't have one.
 Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters - Mapmaker
1. Can they sell one of their old cars to FT?

2. They're possibly never going to be able to afford cars like this again. I guess 10k is a hell of a lot of cash to find in the sort of job to which you refer? Encourage them to spend 4k, keep the rest for servicing. Certainly no loans - make that a condition of the deal (the whole point, surely, is to put them onto wheels without debt?) A 4 year old Focus TDCi for 5k with 50-60 on the clock; several available on autotrader.

3. When you say their old cars are on their "last legs" what exactly do you mean. They sound perfect for young people.

Just IMHO of course, but it sounds like a whole load of cash down the drain. Your next dip into the bank account is for deposits on their houses, at which point they will really, really, really regret 10k blown on a car. Trust me.
 Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters - FotheringtonTomas
>> 1. Can they sell one of their old cars to FT?

Cough. I was avoiding saying that....

Probably too much anyway.
 Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters - Cliff Pope
It seems to me that buying cars for offspring must be like paying Danegeld - you never get rid of the Dane.
 Economy and style - "new" cars for daughters - Bigtee
Get them a golf gti there young not old leave the diesels for the older generation let them have some fun in the sun not a dirty diesel tractor!

Would you have wanted to be told what you should drive or would you have preffered some choice?

Fine it's your cash but you have gave it to them let them choose & well done with that degree hope they get a job.
Latest Forum Posts