Motoring Discussion > Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? Green Issues
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 45

Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - Dave
I took the Reggie on a long run today, for a spaniel trial down south. Just over 420 miles round trip, and stuck to the speed limits all the way. Computer say's 48.9mpg. If I'd stuck to 100kph (instead of 110 & 120) on the motorway section, I reckon it could have made it to 50mpg.

I haven't done a proper brim to brim, but the machine says there's still 150 miles of fuel left, and that sort of corresponds with the gauge (now just above a 1/4). So can an old 1.6 16v Renault actually achieve nearly 50mpg in normal motoring?
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - Armel Coussine
>> So can an old 1.6 16v Renault actually achieve nearly 50mpg in normal motoring?

Why shouldn't it? Renowned for froggish frugality and comfort. Must be a good example. Be kind to it.
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - Lygonos
The FRV (1.8 petrol automatic) managed 40.2mpg on Motorways at indicated 70-80mph from central Jockistan to Manchester back in May.

It's currently averaging 37.5mpg having filled up at Livingston (reset computer, which is accurate), then drove to Kilmarnock along the A71, returning to home on quiet A-roads/M-way last night, followed today by driving 110 miles into the Borders and back again.

I blame the winter tyres ;-)

I used to average 34-35mpg mostly, but perhaps the tyres and having more miles under its belt has helped.

Maybe I'm driving slower, but I don't think I am...
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - Runfer D'Hills
Do you work in Livingston Lygonos? Must be tough having to communicate with your patients by banjo?

;-)
Nah had to go to the Cinema with the bairns - fortunately my youngest got bored about an hour in and I 'regrettably' had to take him outside while the boss stayed in with the others.

We went downstairs and spent 30 minutes playing in the Toyotas in the foyer (Auris and RAV4).
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - spamcan61
My 2003 1.8 Astra does 46 mog or so on gentle motorway cruising so your figures don't sound unbelievable.
>> My 2003 1.8 Astra does 46 mog or so on gentle motorway cruising so your
>> figures don't sound unbelievable.
>>

So why does everyone get all excited with 55mpg out of their eco rattly diesel with stop start, DPF, DMF, CRAP, and a silly name like blue locomotion or green synergy?
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - Fenlander
>>>So why does everyone get all excited with 55mpg

Because real life experience teaches me if my car had a petrol engine with my driving and route dynamics it would achieve less than 30mpg... but as a diesel it does close to 50mpg.
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - spamcan61
>> >> My 2003 1.8 Astra does 46 mog or so on gentle motorway cruising so
>> your
>> >> figures don't sound unbelievable.
>> >>
>>
>> So why does everyone get all excited with 55mpg out of their eco rattly diesel
>> with stop start, DPF, DMF, CRAP, and a silly name like blue locomotion or green
>> synergy?
>>

In the UK, because of company car tax rules. We do seem a long way down the road in terms of diminshing returns for ever more complexity though.

Spamette Minor's recently purchased 2002 1 litre Micra seems to be doing around 54 mpg on cross country driving although it ain't no rocket ship.
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - -
Its surprising just how good some cars can be on long steady drives, indeed Megane does sound like a keeper.

Running the full time 4WD petrol Outlander has been an eye opener, wouldn't entertain one without LPG.
On gas its doing about 23mpg, so maybe 25/26 on petrol, funny thing is though we've tried to drive economically to see how much difference and it was 1mpg better if that.

I expect it will get replaced next year, whilst a good car it simply doesn't give enough refinement comfort or performance for its thirst.

SWM is very taken with the sure footed grip of full time 4WD auto so definately similar drive replacement.
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - PhilW
Day to day motoring in my old (2000 W reg) Xantia HDi does over 45 mpg. Motorway run it's nearer 50.
Even towing a caravan it's near 35.
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - WillDeBeest
Same with my 2002 Volvo D5, but Dave's point is that his Megane (not kebabs, thank you, Autocorrect) isn't a diesel, yet still achieves better than 45mpg. I think he gave it near-optimal conditions - which seldom occur in the UK, hence our poorer returns from petrol engines.

As for
In the UK, because of company car tax rules. We do seem a long way down the road in terms of diminishing returns for ever more complexity though.

I don't think many cars today are designed with UK company car tax rules in mind; we get mostly the same models as the rest of Europe, only with unnecessarily large wheels. And when Humph's LEC can achieve 50mpg, and so use 25% less fuel than mine - which is two years older and has essentially the same engine - that seems like useful progress to me.
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - Zero
Yes but Humph is a renown mimser.
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - Alanovich
>> Yes but Humph is a renown mimser.
>>

Brave of him to trade the Merc for a very old Triumph.
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - DP
>> So why does everyone get all excited with 55mpg out of their eco rattly diesel
>> with stop start, DPF, DMF, CRAP, and a silly name like blue locomotion or green
>> synergy?

Because it will do it all day, every day. I am getting in that ballpark commuting in rush hour M3/M25 traffic every day in a 320d Efficient Dynamics. I've done it in a number of petrol engined vehicles, and 30-ish is about all you can expect. 22 if it's an Alfa V6 :-)

The BMW has, on one occasion, returned 63.2 mpg calculated over a tankful (indicated 67.2 mpg) during school holiday commutes driving gently. There was a little bit of town and stop start work in this figure which would have dragged it down. I have no doubt on a single 400 mile run, in quiet conditions, sticking to speed limits, as per your example, I would see close to a genuine 70 mpg with indicated figures well into the 70s.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 23 Sep 13 at 09:51

>> The BMW has, on one occasion, returned 63.2 mpg calculated over a tankful (indicated 68
>> mpg) during school holiday commutes driving gently. There was a little bit of town and
>> stop start work in this figure which would have dragged it down. I have no
>> doubt on a single 400 mile run, in quiet conditions, sticking to speed limits, as
>> per your example, I would see close to a genuine 70 mpg with indicated figures
>> well into the 70s.

I got 70mpg out of the goona once with that peach of an engine, the 1.9dCi. That was 10 years ago now. none of these fancy eco badges or any mention of anything blue.
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - DP
>> I got 70mpg out of the goona once with that peach of an engine, the
>> 1.9dCi. That was 10 years ago now. none of these fancy eco badges or any
>> mention of anything blue.

The 1.9 dCi is still the smoothest and quietest four pot diesel I've tried. I agree it's a lovely thing. In the Scenic it wouldn't better 50 mpg whatever we did with it, but I guess that's aerodynamics.

The BMW engine has 36% more power, mind and is saddled with a DPF.
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - ....
I got 46mpg out of my D5 on a 270 mile run last week. Doesn't sound too impressive compared with some of the numbers quoted here but my average speed on the computer was 83mph.
Those of you with average speed read outs will know this is usually in the 30 and 40 mph range for a lot of cars showing 40's to 50's mpg.

I'm opting to convert my Eu3 car to Eu4 to allow me to continue using it in Europe and get the green Umweltplakette rather than spend xx,xxx€ on something else. I'll run it until the wheels come off now that I've sorted the other issues out.
>> I got 46mpg out of my D5 on a 270 mile run last week. Doesn't
>> sound too impressive compared with some of the numbers quoted here but my average speed
>> on the computer was 83mph.

That doesn't surprise me, my lad recently sold his S type and bought a 2007 S60 D5, and his avarage knocking about and going to work (not an easy journey either) is 42 mpg, he drives hard so doubly impressive.

Decent enough car, and we'll be giving it a full service Monday, the dealer he bought it from ''serviced'' it before delivery but when the lad whipped the airbox off to have apoke nose a mucky air filter was found, so he suspects probably correctly that cheap was the order of the day with engine oil and that was probably the sum total of the service.
The oil can be a bit pricey 5-30 Castrol Edge is the norm for my car, not sure what gets used in the DPF equipped cars, though the later cars were laughably extended to 18,000 mile (from 12,000) oil changes when the DPFs were fitted.

Be careful with the air pipe from the air box back to the turbo. If there's a metal pipe in there (there is on mine, not sure about later D5s), it's clamped to the head with a very thin clamp which snaps when moved too often.

He can sharpen up the steering by replacing the bottom arm front bushes with some poly bushes. The factory ones are rubber filled with oil which move around from new and can cause tramlining. This feels worse when combined with Pirelli P6000 tyres.
Do not be tempted to do the top engine mount with a poly bush, this will transmit every vibration through the bulkhead and make the car unpleasant.
>> The oil can be a bit pricey 5-30 Castrol Edge

£28 or so for 5 litres at Costco - I think the Edge stuff is required for the DPF cars as I don't recall the cheaper Magnatec having C1/2/3 rating for low ash.
This engine takes about 6.3 I think it is for oil or 6.8 litres with a clean filter.
So do you buy 2 x 5 litres or 5 and two singles ? 2 x 5 is probably cheaper in the long run.
>> Decent enough car, and we'll be giving it a full service Monday, the dealer he
>> bought it from ''serviced'' it before delivery but when the lad whipped the airbox off
>> to have apoke nose a mucky air filter was found, so he suspects probably correctly
>> that cheap was the order of the day with engine oil and that was probably
>> the sum total of the service.
>>
Take the rear discs off and have a look at the handbrake shoes.
The handbrakes are not great on these cars, you'll notice it rolls back slightly even on new shoes due to the design.
The linings can break off and jam in a stub on the rear axle. This can cost ££££'s to fix. For what the shoes cost, better to do them then you know where you are starting from.
Last edited by: gmac on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 19:10
>> The linings can break off and jam in a stub on the rear axle. This
>> can cost ££££'s to fix. For what the shoes cost, better to do them then
>> you know where you are starting from.

Noted thanks Gmac we'll deffo have a nose in there, he wants to bleed the brakes out anyway and it'll be a full brake strip clean lube...but then a proper service wouldn't be one without doing the brakes properly as well, thanks for the rest of the advice too.

He thinks there might be an engine or gearbox mount soft as there is some sort of knock to suggest, i haven't even sat in it yet so can't give my tuppence and i know nothing about FWD Volvos anyway other than i wouldn't mind a T5 meself.

It came on a full set of 5/6mm Bridgestone tyres and service history looks like the rest of the car had equally proper care, hopefully he got himself a good un, black with grey leather and manual box.

He got 2 x 4 litre packs of Valvoline 0w-30 full synthetic oil, our local proper motor factor beat GSF and Euro price wise and all for quality parts, Mann and Hummel filters.

>> He thinks there might be an engine or gearbox mount soft as there is some
>> sort of knock to suggest, i haven't even sat in it yet so can't give
>> my tuppence and i know nothing about FWD Volvos anyway other than i wouldn't mind
>> a T5 meself.
>>
Top engine mount. I think on the later cars these should be square shaped rubber inside the casting, the original ones were round and would tear. The newer ones are not much better in my experience, I've just had the top mount replaced for the second time (on the third one now).
Also check the drop links. Depending on the roads the car's been driven on these can be a bi-annual service item.
Sorry to have pilfered your thread Dave..;)

S60 (2007 120k) serviced today and it needed it, many thanks for the pointers Gmac.

Parking brake shoes were shot, one lining sperated completely just riding round in the drum keeping it shiny, the other drum as rusty as an old horsehoe inside, would never have got it smooth again.
So new rear discs/drums, new handrake shoes, new pads....handbrake shoes so much easier (larger with smaller hub face) than MB's which are diabolical and a nightmare without the right horseshoe clip removal tool...don't ask me how i know but i still bear the knuckle scars.

I suspect the rear drums hadn't been removed since new, so much for FMDSH, but then our full Mitsi SH Outy told a similar tale brakes wise...suspect much peering through the wheel and squirting of brake cleaner being considered a full brake service at too many places now.

Front pads whilst only half worn were sepaerating from the backing plates, again corrosion, so new front pads, found slight perishing of the front flexible pipes, so new front flexis.

All calipers and brackets cleaned, lubed where necessary, brakes all bled through (dirty fluid), calipers finally painted with black hammerite as was the drum part of the rear discs, looks much better now.

Oil and and filters changed (fuel had to be left because its got a full tank, recommended to be done when half full or so, filter beside tank), checked gearbox oil very dirty, replaced with full synthetic, gearchange immediately improved on test run.

The seller (garage fronted by the usual suspects) promised faithfully that air and pollen filters had been changed, the mouldy manky pollen filter we extracted proved him to be a liar, he won't enjoy the chat my lad will have with him, the lad had already had a look at the air filter that was far from new so even though the oil had been changed we suspected recycled mazola was probably wishful thinking hence the complete service.

Think the knock mentioned is from the NS mounting of that cross member that supports the top engine mount, been tightened up and he will pack it with something temporarily to confirm before ordering a new one.

Not enough coolant here to change that, only had the full 5 litre can and the car takes 12.5 litres and needs 50% mix, that can wait for another day.

Thats it, i need a shower/shave.:-)
Apologies for thread drift too but in this case should be OK as it may have saved you a few bob with those rear brakes. Some people have experienced those loose bits of shoe lining locking up the rear end at speed.

Did you notice how you can rock that bar which runs from suspension turret to suspension turret. They are supposed to do that, it's not a cross brace.

He'll be much happier with the car now.
>> Did you notice how you can rock that bar which runs from suspension turret to
>> suspension turret. They are supposed to do that, it's not a cross brace.

Yes thats the one i described typically poorly rthe one that houses the top engine support you described previously, the NS bush of the cross bar could be made to knock when shaken till he tightened the through nut and bolt.

If tightening and his subsequent packing of the joint stops the knocking he will order a new bush, if not then it will be a case of packing each joint till we find which one is knocking...during test drive it felt like its under and in front of my feet in the passenger footwell, but that knock could easily travel.

Today wasn't cheap by any means but money well spent, all good quality parts lubricants and fluids have been used.

Again thanks for all the pointers and advice..
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - Runfer D'Hills
>>wouldn't mind a T5 meself.

Had a T5 850 estate back along. Hoot. Suffered from torque steer of course but I could forgive it most things. Thirsty.
Top engine mount.
Also check the drop links.

Thanks again.
Added to list...me and my big gob...we'll do it together son if you like...thanks dad...reeled you in there dad.

>> Had a T5 850 estate back along. Hoot. Suffered from torque steer of course but
>> I could forgive it most things. Thirsty.

The lad says even his D5 suffers from torque steer, and that would i must admit put me off quite a lot.

Fule not so much of a problem cos my LPG man will be sorting that side out when i do change.

I was quite tempted when a 100k 57 plate ex plod driving school T5 came up recently, had a Rover 827 ex driving school before, one of my best ever cars, yes driven fast in its working life but maintained like nothing i've ever seen before or since, SH to die for.

Even a T6 estate came up, tasty, but twin clutch semi satan box and electric parking brake put that on the discard pile sharpish.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 20:56
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - Dave_
DP: >> the BMW has, on one occasion, returned 63.2 mpg calculated over a tankful

I drove a (brand) new BMW 320d ED from Coventry to Ealing last year with the computer reading 74mpg on arrival. The 3-year-old 320d non-ED I drove back showed 68mpg after the same journey. Both runs were at just under 70mph along the entire length of the M40 - I'd expect those mpg figures to be about the best achievable, although the new car might have been a bit "tight" as it started the journey with only 7 miles on the clock.
Last edited by: Dave_TiD on Mon 23 Sep 13 at 20:03
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - WillDeBeest
I drove a (brand) new BMW 320d ED from Coventry to Ealing ... along the entire length of the M40...

Fancy going the long way, did you, Dave?
};---)
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - PeterS
My brother has a 318d (manual) and he regularly gets more than 70mpg on journeys > 100 miles, though he doesn't drive that fast. His average over 16k miles is mid 60s to the gallon IIRC, which I think is nothing short of amazing for a tonne and a half of car!
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - L'escargot
>> I took the Reggie on a long run today, for a spaniel trial down south.
>> Just over 420 miles round trip, and stuck to the speed limits all the way.
>> Computer say's 48.9mpg. If I'd stuck to 100kph (instead of 110 & 120) on the
>> motorway section, I reckon it could have made it to 50mpg.
>>
>> I haven't done a proper brim to brim, ...........

Brim to brim isn't the proper way to do it. You won't get the fuel in the tank up to the same level each time. The proper way is to record every quantity of fuel you buy, and the odometer reading, and then calculate the average over a reasonably long period of time ~ say a month minimum. Even when calculating over periods of a month you'll find significant differences between the calculations depending on the season, weather, journeys, and driving style. The very best way is to calculate a running average and see what you get over periods of 12 months or more.
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - Roger.
At the risk of repeating myself (who me? ;-0 ) www.fuelly.com/ is a fairly pain-free way of keeping consumption records.
I did so for the Panda which worked out at a smidgen under 40mpg, over our period of ownership. (95% town driving) and have started to do so again with the Jazz.
Well this week I'll just be using it for running about, so we'll see what it gives me in those circumstances.

Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - sajid
the most I got on my jazz was 52.9 mpg, that was driving eco 60 mph and bettered the manufacturers mpg

think that when you do more miles the engine loosens up typically after 30,000, the mpg was on the winters

Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - tyro
Coming to this thread late, but FWIW ...

1) Agree with L'escargot that one should calculate brim to brim and average it.

2) Figure is impressive, but I did occasionally manage (using brim to brim calculating) between 45 & 50 mpg in a 1.6 petrol Berlingo, which has a somewhat less aerodynamic shape than a Megane. For example I once averaged 45.8 mpg over 4000 miles. Over the course of those 4000 miles, I'm sure there would have been times when fuel economy was close to 50 mpg.
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - madf
>> the most I got on my jazz was 52.9 mpg, that was driving eco 60
>> mph and bettered the manufacturers mpg
>>
>> think that when you do more miles the engine loosens up typically after 30,000, the
>> mpg was on the winters
>>
>>
>>

On a long run on motorways stuck at 65mpg, my auto Jazz with 3 k miles registered 58mpg : real 54mpg.
Last edited by: madf on Thu 26 Sep 13 at 13:42
>> >> the most I got on my jazz was 52.9 mpg, that was driving eco 60 mph

>> On a long run on motorways stuck at 65mpg, my auto Jazz with 3 k miles registered 58mpg : real 54mpg.

Oh well, if thread drift is allowed, and we are onto Jazzes, I've filled my Jazz 3 times since getting it, and hence done two brim-to-brim calculations, and am averaging 55.0 mpg.

I gather that it's possible to get a readout from the trip computer, but I've not yet figured out how to do that. Nor have I checked in the manual.

In fact, I haven't even opened the manual . . .

:-0

>> I gather that it's possible to get a readout from the trip computer, but I've
>> not yet figured out how to do that.

You just press a button....
I've tried various buttons. I may yet resort to the manual.
After another tank of gas, and this time mostly just running about, it's telling me 48mpg. There's not much traffic here, so can't try it in the equivalent of London or Birmingham.

But it will save me some money over my Skoda and Land Cruiser, although I suspect any savings will be short lived and wiped out by French complexity and repair times.
 Renault Megane - 48.9mpg - Can it be true? - Mike Hannon
Who would trust the word of a Frenchman?
I did another 400 mile trip down south again yesterday. This time I put my foot down as I was late leaving, and it was 5am, so nothing to slow me apart from keeping an eye out for wandering moose and wild boar. I did manage to squash a hare though.

Average speed was 59.8mph, and fuel was 45.9mpg, so not bad I thought.
I did manage to squash a hare though.
>>

Thats torn it, better get the alignment kit out again.
..;)
Latest Forum Posts