Motoring Discussion > MOT Time which documents.? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 33

MOT Time which documents.? - Bigtee
Besides the MOT certificate do i need the log book & insurance?

Years ago it was just the MOT certificate other year at dealers they wanted more, it's off to a local indie this time.

Is there a standard policy what is required other than ringing them to see what they want.?
 MOT Time which documents.? - Pat
I was told I didn't even need to take the old MOT certificate this year since it is all computerised.

Pat
 MOT Time which documents.? - nice but dim
Just take the old MOT cert, I would just to be safe. Gives you chance to compare the emissions based on last year. Mine on Saturday 8am, bright and early, going to give it 20 miles before hand steady run to blow the cobwebs.
 MOT Time which documents.? - Cliff Pope
No need to take anything. If you are renewing early it automatically dates the new certificate to the anniversary of the previous expiry date.
 MOT Time which documents.? - maltrap
You don't need to take any documents the car must be taxed & insured, don't drop the clanger that i did this year. I took the car for it's MOT a day earlier than the earliest date to preserve the anniversary of the MOT & ended up with a 1 year MOT instead of 13 months if i'd had it tested a day later ! Probably because i didn't check the previous year's certificate.
 MOT Time which documents.? - Bromptonaut
>> You don't need to take any documents the car must be taxed & insured, don't
>> drop the clanger that i did this year. I took the car for it's MOT
>> a day earlier than the earliest date to preserve the anniversary of the MOT &
>> ended up with a 1 year MOT instead of 13 months if i'd had it
>> tested a day later ! Probably because i didn't check the previous year's certificate.

Needs to be insured but isn't going to a pre-booked MoT a defence for not having a tax disc?
 MOT Time which documents.? - Harleyman

>>
>> Needs to be insured but isn't going to a pre-booked MoT a defence for not
>> having a tax disc?
>>

It is. In fact it's also legal to drive or ride an unregistered vehicle to an MOT station for a pre-booked test, again provided it's insured. Just did that last month with the "new" Electra-Glide; must admit I was almost praying to be stopped by a bobby as it was still on California plates!
 MOT Time which documents.? - Clk Sec
I don't think that my main dealer has asked for any documents whatsoever for the eight MOT tests that they have arranged for my humble limousine. Definitely not for the last couple, anyway.
 MOT Time which documents.? - VxFan
>> Just take the old MOT cert, I would just to be safe. Gives you chance
>> to compare the emissions based on last year.

The emissions are on a separate sheet of paper though, and not on the MOT cert.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 11:02
 MOT Time which documents.? - Zero
you only need to take your credit card.
 MOT Time which documents.? - Clk Sec
Ah, yes! Don't forget that...
 MOT Time which documents.? - legacylad
I'm with Zeddo.
Book it online with Kwik Fit, drop off at 8am, quick trip round Morrisons, collect at 9 then drive home £27.50 poorer.
 MOT Time which documents.? - Zero
My MOT place of choice, has a fantastic cafe next door with good coffee, great bacon sarnies and free weefee

Another point not many people know, and which caught me out once, is that the one month addition is a lunar month, ie 28 days, not a calendar month.
So be careful not to retest too early.

It's another inconsistency, because road tax runs on calendar months, SORN runs on complete days, and insurance runs on complete minutes.
>> Another point not many people know, and which caught me out once, is that the
>> one month addition is a lunar month, ie 28 days, not a calendar month.
>> So be careful not to retest too early.

Never noticed that, but then I'm usually up against the expiry date.
 MOT Time which documents.? - L'escargot
>> Another point not many people know, and which caught me out once, is that the
>> one month addition is a lunar month, ie 28 days, not a calendar month.
>> So be careful not to retest too early.

In the "Additional information" box of my MOT certificate it states the earliest date that the vehicle can be presented for the next test in order to preserve the anniversary of the expiry date.
 MOT Time which documents.? - Bill Payer
>> >> Another point not many people know, and which caught me out once, is that
>> the
>> >> one month addition is a lunar month, ie 28 days, not a calendar month.
>> >> So be careful not to retest too early.
>>
>> In the "Additional information" box of my MOT certificate it states the earliest date that
>> the vehicle can be presented for the next test in order to preserve the anniversary
>> of the expiry date.
>>

Maybe that's changed as we (actually the garage, as they admitted it was their fault) got caught out one year and lost a month's MOT. However I just checked a couple of our current Certs, one for Sept and one for Oct, and the earliest retest date is a calendar month prior, plus a day.
 MOT Time which documents.? - bathtub tom
>> you only need to take your credit card.

Where I take mine they don't accept credit or debit cards, cash or cheques only. I signed the date box this year - forgot how to write a cheque.

I always took the old MOT for the Kia as its emissions range for the lambda IIRC were up to 1.3. They had to dig out the manual for the testing gear each year to input the necessary data. Imagine taking it to a Thick Twit type place.
The vauxhall dealer i won't name has kept phoning me 6 times begging me to book it in for the MOT i told them it's not due till middle of October and besides the £55.00 is too steep they said they could match any price told them £30.00 local indie no problem.

After 6 phone calls over 3 weeks i got fed up and told them to sod off it's off to the local indie.

The dealers must be desperate for work!!
 MOT Time which documents.? - L'escargot
>> .......... i got fed up and told them to
>> sod off ............

It's always heartening to get a polite reply when you phone someone!
;-)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 11:26
 MOT Time which documents.? - RattleandSmoke
It is all automatic as said here. I got my car MOT'ed in early April, I didn't take any paper work and the expiry data was the day the car was registered.

My dealer kept hassling me too but I was clever and got it MOT'ed before the service I know it was backward step but at least when the dealer tried to tell my tyres are dangerous and my brakes were shot, I could say why did it pass the MOT two days ago then?

I did get the pads replaced by my local indie which cost me £45 instead of the £169 my dealer quoted. The tyres are still on it, although one of them has gone down to less than 3mm so I will replace it soon.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 12:49
 MOT Time which documents.? - Rudedog
Don't forget if you get your MOT'd a month early and it fails then it is registered on the database as a FAIL and renders your current MOT certificate null and void. This is what happened to me back in May and I think was discussed on here.
 MOT Time which documents.? - spamcan61
>> Don't forget if you get your MOT'd a month early and it fails then it
>> is registered on the database as a FAIL and renders your current MOT certificate null
>> and void. This is what happened to me back in May and I think was
>> discussed on here.
>>
As proven in that discussion, a failed MoT does not render a valid one null and void.
 MOT Time which documents.? - RattleandSmoke
But it could have serious insurance consequences as most insurance companies state the car must be road worthy. A failed MOT means there is documented evidence that the car is not road worthy. Of course it depends on what the car failed on as well. If your car fails for say a leaking brake pipe and you have an accident because the break failed, even though the car still has an MOT there is written evidence that shows the driver knew the car was dangerous.
>> But it could have serious insurance consequences as most insurance companies state the car must
>> be road worthy. A failed MOT means there is documented evidence that the car is
>> not road worthy. Of course it depends on what the car failed on as well.
>> If your car fails for say a leaking brake pipe and you have an accident
>> because the break failed, even though the car still has an MOT there is written
>> evidence that shows the driver knew the car was dangerous.

The MoT is effectively a tick list of items that have to meet certain criteria. There's an element of discretion to the tester on whether any one item is a pass or not. Some MoT items have no bearing on roadworthiness (eg emmissions). Not all safety critical items are tested - for example, at least until recently, the function of for ABS/EBD warning lights.

If the fail is on an item considered dangerous the statement of failure will say so. In that case you'd be foolish to drive it. My old Xantia would have failed dangerous because of the state of the rear suspension spheres. It was nursed home and sat on the drive until the scrappy collected it though I did have to drive it down the road as the transporter was too large to negotiate our cul de sac.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 12:43
Booked two weeks off so if it fails got time to fix it.

At 35k it cant be much on a 58 plate hopefully!
>> A failed MOT means there is documented evidence that the car is
>> not road worthy.

It means it was not road worthy on that date at that time.
It is no more evidence of un-roadworthiness a week later than a pass certificate is of worthiness.
 MOT Time which documents.? - sajid
I got my mot due dec, checking the tyres on my jazz they needed replacing, see winter tyres discussion, another is the brake pads are going as well, so will get that done too.

My jazz failed the mot last year due to headlight aim too low, the dealer did the work free of charge,

happy with the car and keeping it till it drops

MOT Time which documents.? - No FM2R
>>It is no more evidence of un-roadworthiness a week later than a pass certificate is of worthiness

Perhaps not, but in court it could be assumed that it was reasonable to believe that it was or was not roadworthy.

And cars often develop MOT-failure type faults. But they rarely then fix them again.

"yus, M'lud, but a week later I assumed that the leaking brake pipes had healed up".
>>But it could have serious insurance consequences as most insurance companies state the car must be road worthy.

Spot on.

And if you are driving a car knowing it has a particular fault, and then that fault is the cause of an accident, and if there is injury involved, the whole rest of your life just got loads worse.

But aside from that it'd just be plain daft to drive a car knowing it has a dangerous fault.
 MOT Time which documents.? - spamcan61
>> >>But it could have serious insurance consequences as most insurance companies state the car must
>> be road worthy.
>>
>> Spot on.
>>
>> And if you are driving a car knowing it has a particular fault, and then
>> that fault is the cause of an accident, and if there is injury involved, the
>> whole rest of your life just got loads worse.
>>
>> But aside from that it'd just be plain daft to drive a car knowing it
>> has a dangerous fault.
>>
True, wouldn't argue with that at all, but if my car failed an early MoT because it was 1 ppm out on emissisons or the number plate was a bit scabby then I wouldn't stop driving it.
Me neither. But then I'm often amazed by what some people will do.
Well it passed with no advisories.
 MOT Time which documents.? - R.P.
I took the 3 Series in last Saturday. Lot of competition for your business around here - £27.00 at National Tyres, £40.00 at my local bike shop. The very local Citroen dealer had an offer for £29.00 so they got it. Passed and got a good clean from them very good service.
Latest Forum Posts