Motoring Discussion > Does the new RR sport really sound like this? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 13

Does the new RR sport really sound like this? - Zero
Pikes Peak in a supposedly bog standard RR sport, does it really sound that good out of the showroom?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b--X7W4wUic
 Does the new RR sport really sound like this? - VxFan
Have you tried comparing it to the road test that 5th Gear did last week?
 Does the new RR sport really sound like this? - BiggerBadderDave
RR sport? I was expecting the RR Wraith.
 Does the new RR sport really sound like this? - Runfer D'Hills
Glad it wasn't just me Dave !

Edit - I had a run out ( as a passenger ) in a severely worked up Bentley Continental the other day. Development mule. Freak it was quick...Sounded fantastic too.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 12:02
 Does the new RR sport really sound like this? - Cliff Pope
>> RR sport? I was expecting the RR Wraith.
>>

A real Rolls Royce doesn't have a sound. You can't hear the clock from outside.
 Does the new RR sport really sound like this? - Robin O'Reliant
>> A real Rolls Royce doesn't have a sound. You can't hear the clock from outside.
>>

They've had decades to do something about that ruddy clock, you'd think they'd have found a way to keep it quiet by now.
 Does the new RR sport really sound like this? - DP
Had a blast as a passenger in an Audi RS5 last weekend. Proper V8 burble at normal revs, and a noise that I still can't really describe as it screams towards the 8500 RPM redline, other than being able to confirm that a dumb, involuntary grin just spread across my face every time my mate nailed the throttle.

My brain still cannot comprehend how such ridiculous performance (0-100 mph in 10.3 seconds) can feel so accessible and safe. Legal considerations aside, you can literally use it all. Every last bit of it. Even in damp conditions.

It is a hell of a machine, but misses that critical want factor for me. But sound quality is a fat 10/10.
 Does the new RR sport really sound like this? - Old Navy
It sounds much like the one that passed me on a multi lane road in Dubai. It was being driven flat out and weaving through the (light ) traffic.
 Does the new RR sport really sound like this? - VxFan
>> Have you tried comparing it to the road test that 5th Gear did last week?

Or I might have been thinking about the another road test.

This is 5th Gears effort though, FWIW

youtu.be/QQEgxy4mxy4?t=7m10s

Does the new RR sport really sound like this? - Dave_
>> does it really sound that good out of the showroom?

Yes :D There are quite a few seriously meaty-sounding motors on sale right now, a lot of them British-built too.

Most recent fun thing I did was have a passenger ride around Dunsfold in an AM Vantage V8 roadster. "Only" 470bhp so not the last word in violent acceleration but my word can it go around corners.
 Does the new RR sport really sound like this? - Runfer D'Hills
I guess most of us here, secretly or otherwise, have a reasonable level of self-respect for our own abilities to drive. I am no exception to that I'll confess but I've occasionally been reminded of how poor my skills are when compared to a pro driver.

An old pal, he is quite old now come to think, had his 60th this summer, but I digress, used to be pretty successful in Formula Ford and had a few good races in Formula 3. Not famous by any standard but apparently well known enough in those circles as a decent driver.

Well anyway, when we were younger, both being Scottish but living in London we had decided to make the drive back to Edinburgh for Christmas with our respective families in my Golf Gti 16V. Somewhere around Carlisle ( having had a bit of a late night the previous evening ) I was getting tired and let my mate drive. Well, for those who know the road there's a stretch of the A701 from Moffat to Penicuik which is in my view one of the best driving roads in Britain. Or it was until speed cameras anyway...

Never before or since have I been so thrilled ( or indeed so scared ) but also so in awe of car control as I was that night. The difference between the speeds he could carry through the bends and those I dare to was dramatic.

Another pal is a test engineer for Bentley. Again lets just say, I had no idea those cars could do what he can do with them until he took me out in one...

After those experiences I felt a bit like somone who can hold a note well enough in the village choir trying to compete with a Pavarotti.
 Does the new RR sport really sound like this? - BobbyG
Humph, look forward to your review when he has the SUV Bentley prototype home.......
 Does the new RR sport really sound like this? - Gromit
SWMBO and I were driven around a rally stage (part unmade roads, part country lanes) by a marshall once in a diesel VW passat estate. Not the most exiciting of transport, you might think...but we could barely stand up when we got out of it.

I'd love to see what he could have done with my, err no, somebody else's, Subaru...
 Does the new RR sport really sound like this? - Zero
As the winner of a days rally school in the welsh forests, my prize was a drive in Gwyndaf Evans Ford Sierra Cosworth round a welsh rally stage with his navigator telling me what to do and then with me in the co-pilots seat with Gwyndaf driving,

Two things struck me on the second part. 1/ well lots of things - I didnt know mud and dust could hide in so many places in a sierra shell, and 2/ how Newtons laws of motion can keep your feet and legs flapping around in the air for 10 minutes (which as it happens was almost exactly half the time I did it in.)
Latest Forum Posts