Motoring Discussion > Car upholstery colours Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 29

Car upholstery colours - legacylad
Whilst still considering my next car, I have come across a few awful exterior/interior combinations. The one I disliked most is a red/brown coloured leather. A shame because the car was ok in all other respects. Bright red is acceptable, though not a colour for me. As is a nice shade of blue.
My current has a mid grey leather, which contrasts ok with the silver paintwork. My old 9000 again had a mid grey, the most comfortable seats ever in Bridge of Weir leather. Coal mine black interiors I can live without.
But red/brown leather. With black paintwork!
 Car upholstery colours - tyro
The car that we had for most of my childhood, purchased about the end of 1966, had red upholstery. I thought nothing of it at the time, but these days red upholstery is very unusual, and would certainly raise my eyebrows.

When my wife and I were in the market to purchase a car last month, the subject of upholstery colours came up, and we found ourselves differing a little. I realised that increasingly, I dislike dark interiors, and prefer brighter. A cream interior would suit me perfectly, though my wife would worry that it would show dirt too easily. (In the end we got a sort of mid grey, which I can live with. It doesn't clash with the silver paintwork, either!)
 Car upholstery colours - Runfer D'Hills
My Merc estate has black paint and beige leather seats with black carpets and piano black ( wood? ) with brushed aluminium trim . I quite like that combination although it could be accused of being somewhat funereal/hearse-like

The beige leather has survived very well despite the ravages of 70,000 miles and constant exposure to muddy people most weekends. Just wipes clean.

Guy I know ( in Italy ) has an Alfa 159 sportwagon with black paint and red leather. It manages to look very cool. In my opinion anyway.
 Car upholstery colours - Rudedog
I've always liked the all black interiors of older VW's (seats & roof lining), glad to see that this combo has been brought back with the recent top end cars.
 Car upholstery colours - Dog
I could go an Old English White MGC with red leather interior.
 Car upholstery colours - MD
>> I could go an Old English White MGC with red leather interior.
>>
Didn't the 'C' always have the hump, neighbour?
>>Didn't the 'C' always have the hump, neighbour?

S'right MD, tuned a few o'er the years, nicer than my British Racing? Green B.

www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C425296
 Car upholstery colours - Bromptonaut
>> The car that we had for most of my childhood, purchased about the end of
>> 1966, had red upholstery. I thought nothing of it at the time, but these days
>> red upholstery is very unusual, and would certainly raise my eyebrows.

Sixites Minis had upholstery that was colour co-ordinated to paint. My Mother's 1966 Austin Mini super deluxe was 'Almond Green' and had pale green leatherette seats.
>> >> The car that we had for most of my childhood, purchased about the end
>> of 1966, had red upholstery.
>>
>> Sixites Minis had upholstery that was colour co-ordinated to paint. My Mother's 1966 Austin Mini
>> super deluxe was 'Almond Green' and had pale green leatherette seats.

Ours was not colour co-ordinated. In fact, it was one of these - with, if I recall correctly, the same colours: www.motorstown.com/images/austin-cambridge-countryman-03.jpg
 Car upholstery colours - L'escargot
>> Whilst still considering my next car, I have come across a few awful exterior/interior combinations.

I'm not bothered about how the interior colour goes with the body colour. I want the interior trim to be as near black as possible so that it doesn't show dirty marks. I want the rooflining to be as near white as possible to aid interior brightness.
 Car upholstery colours - DP
I'm a big fan of Alfa Romeo's tan leather interior. The contrast with the black really works, IMHO.

img229.imageshack.us/img229/796/alfa007.jpg

Car upholstery colours - Zero
My old mans MG Magnette had a kind of light muted green leather seats, a very effective and practical colour. Makers seem reluctant to offer alternative colours in furnishings.

And no, its wasn't the mould.
 Car upholstery colours - Fenlander
>>>I'm a big fan of Alfa Romeo's tan leather interior. The contrast with the black really works, IMHO. img229.imageshack.us/img229/796/alfa007.jpg

It has to be said... and not just because we are biased... that the leather in Alfa 156/159s is just superb. It has a style, look, quality and longevity better than the leather in almost any other mainstream car.

Yes the tan is great... even their bright red as Runfer mentions looks OK.
 Car upholstery colours - nice but dim
My Mitsi is same colour interior as this. It is spotless because I cover the seats with 5 pound seat covers in the wet and cold months. Covers come off in the summer or dry months to enjoy it, it really gives the interior a classy feel compared to the black interiors of past. I think it goes nice with silver exterior too.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201309098697945/
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 12:48
 Car upholstery colours - Bromptonaut
The new Berlingo came with cloth upholstery and little or no choice of colour - basically black with silver/blue piping. The blue cloth on older one was also, IIRC, determined by paint colour.

It's been reasonably hard wearing but requires work to keep it clean. Fingers, food and emolient applied to Lad's exczema all make it quickly look grubby though it buffs up OK with upholstery shampoo.

The velour in the Xantia was much better and oddly same style WAS used in some versions of the Partner.
>> The new Berlingo . . . . The blue cloth on older one was also, IIRC, determined
>> by paint colour.

On the Mk 1 Berlingo, (up until late 2002), the cloth upholstery colours were, indeed, determined by paint colour. Ours, which was silver, had blue and red cloth. (tinyurl.com/nb8xmpv)

Some had green and red cloth, some had green and yellow.
(Our Mk 2 Berlingo has an inoffensive grey pattern.)
Last edited by: tyro on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 13:05
 Car upholstery colours - Boxsterboy
Mrs BB has a Merc CLK convertible that we bought used. It has tenorite blue paint (a very pale silvery blue metallic) with black hood and reddish leather seats. I think the combination looks good, and when I saw in the brochure that the combination was 'not advised' by the Germans, that decided it. I mean what do Germans know about style?!?
I've never heard of a car brochure giving advice on matters of taste / style before!

To be honest, I'm impressed.
I always thought the Nazi's suits looked pretty sharp tbh.
 Car upholstery colours - Alanovich
I was thinking more of the fetching garb worn by serving wenches in Munich Bierkellern. Have been for a very long time as it goes................

You might find what you want here AV. Not judging anything y'know. 21st century and all that, They'll likely do your size...

;-)

www.stockerpoint.de/
 Car upholstery colours - Alanovich
Oh yeah. Ooooooooooh yeah.

If only Primark stocked them.
I'm going to need some mind bleach now. I'll never be able to see another Laguna estate without double checking what the driver is wearing...

:-)
 Car upholstery colours - WillDeBeest
...Tenorite blue paint (a very pale silvery blue metallic)...

Curious, because when I was shopping for LECs last year, Tenorite was a medium-dark grey, less appealing (I thought) than the lighter, rarer Flint Grey - and still, in the end, just another drab shade of grey.
Rarer still was Kavansite (not, if you want to keep your MB salesman sweet, Caravansite) Blue, slightly dark for my taste but well suited to a pale interior. Sadly we ended up with silver outside and black within.
 Car upholstery colours - Manatee
I like the idea of 'ivory' leather but then I think it might be a bit showy, and it normally comes with light carpets that I wouldn't want.

The Alfa with the tan leather I do like - I really must contrive to have one at some point. Maybe the boss's CIvic replacement, which is non-urgent but looking difficult. We were actually comparing a Note and a Jazz in the Aldi car park this morning before I snapped out of it.
 Car upholstery colours - Kevin
>I like the idea of 'ivory' leather but then I think it might be a bit showy, and it
>normally comes with light carpets that I wouldn't want.

This is the ivory leather in mine with charcoal piping, carpets, seatbelts and dash/doorcaps etc. And part of my finger over the lens.

tinyurl.com/lmsemjq
 Car upholstery colours - ....
Black Dashboard - avoid reflecting dashboard top into windscreen
Blue instruments - because it's a sporty car
White headlining - Lighten up the interior
Orange Leather - Stevie Wonder specified it

tinyurl.com/ndtrlbs

Available in a fetching aqua-marine metallic paint finish

tinyurl.com/ouefq74
 Car upholstery colours - -
>> Orange Leather - Stevie Wonder specified it

Once in a while we'd collect special order export Range Rovers going to Saudi and other countries in the region, the colour combinations varied from very chic to extremely vile, worse one i recall was bright yellow leather including dash and some other mixtures of colours that clashed painfully, hideous didn't come near.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 21:22
 Car upholstery colours - Ted

The Jowett is black, of course...as befits a gentleman's carriage. De luxe models come with brown or red leather. Mine is brown but parts of it used to be red....best of two interiors and some Woolies leather dye.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts