Motoring Discussion > Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 32

Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - nice but dim
I have been asked if Honda Accord 2.2 diesels are any good as a family car. All I know they look ok and are Japanese so should be ok but thought I would ask here.

This is the car...

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201309188844162/

...that has gained their interest as its local to them but it seems high as a buying mileage for an unknown car. There seems to be plenty on AT with high mileages so they must be one of the more reliable modern CR diesel engines. The interior and exterior doesnt give away the mileage, just cant see any tax or MOT details although I wouldnt expect tax at that price but would MOT.

Looks good for the money and good spec, if you could add your thoughts it would be most welcome.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 26 Sep 13 at 01:00
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - Runfer D'Hills
For me it's about acknowledging that some additional maintainance costs are more than likely with high mileage vehicles but I also have an additional theory which is that if a car has got up close to 200k miles it's probably served someone very well and there's no reason to suspect it might not continue to do so for a good while more. Most consumable bits will have been replaced by now possibly a few times over. Trigger's broom effect.

Are they good cars? Not sure, but Hondas do seem to be known as such.
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - Fenlander
Real coincidence here.

This afternoon I was in town with daughter doing last minite pre-uni shopping. Having just the small C3 and saloon Alfa means we will have to take two cars to get her stuff away. This and other factors are making an estate look more likely for me sooner rather than later.

We were parked by an identical Accord Estate and admiring its size and finish. She said, as they do, why not buy one of those before I go away to make it an easy one car trip.

They have a slightly odd look to the rear but a very impressive car.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 20:28
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - Runfer D'Hills
I rather like them. Sort of cool in a quiet way.
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - Crankcase
>> I rather like them. Sort of cool in a quiet way.

Ironically, in my limited but extended test drive experiences, the Accord is unfortunately anything but quiet.
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - MPZ
Fen

don't let the Alfa go just for occassional uni runs.

Surely hiring a Transit for the weekend would be better than taking 2 cars.

MPZ
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - No FM2R
>>making an estate look more likely for me sooner rather than later

I love estates. I'd sacrifice an awful lot in looks for the convenience and flexibility they bring.

Other than when I need a more aggressive vehicle a petrol, automatic, estate is what I prefer to drive.

This estate looks great, but for me would fail because of the diesel and the manual box. Other than that, I think its a good buy. And if you like manual and diesel, then I suspect that its an excellent buy.
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - -
All they can do is go and have a poke nose at it with both eyes open.

If its been a motorway car then thats better than if it was a private hire hack or worse still a parcel courier running round the houses...bloke delivers to us sometimes in a soft roader and it sounds like not a single bolt anywhere on the car is tight.

Before i even looked at the car the service history would be examined closely, timescale compared with mileage and continual service...sometimes ads say service histroy but neglect to mention no histroy for the last 3 years and 100k miles.

That 16" alloy wheel (according to the ad) looks like its fitted with a 17" tyre to me but blowed if i can make out what make the tyre is.

edit, two Hondas in the family, son has the CRV and daughter on her second Civic 2.0S, neither give any trouble..unlike their owners..;)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 25 Sep 13 at 20:46
Most cars are too complex these days for me to have an expert view on whether or not they're a good deal.

As always I think you have to judge the seller. In this case my opinion of the person selling the vehicle would be the absolute yes/no decider for me.
Thanks, all encouraging comments. I thought there would be some doom and gloom.

I will feedback that it is worth a butchers, but check it through and through plus service history. the intended car is to replace a tired 51 plate Piscasso 1.9D, which although has passed (just) the MOT, the list of advisories hints at big bills in the coming year, oh and he says it is DOG slow.

On a thread drift, I have had the chance to drive an 58 plate Astra estate 1,3 TD today on a short 10 mile drive, very nice car all round and went well although a bit flat until the turbo kicks in. I'm used to mid size petrols so was probably driving it wrong.
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - ....
>> That 16" alloy wheel (according to the ad) looks like its fitted with a 17"
>> tyre to me but blowed if i can make out what make the tyre is.
>>
Falken Azenis
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - -
Well done, i couldn't work the make out.

Never heard of that particular model but Falken seem well regarded generally, much better than finding some unpronounceable ditchfinders lurking on the thing.
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - Bill Payer
I think the Sport models did have 17" wheels as standard. The car is noted for tramlining quite badly on certain tyres.

Have a look (if you haven't already) at the car-by-car guide on HJ's site - and look at both the Estate and Saloon write-ups.

If it's got electrically opening boot then they can fail regularly - a manual one is probably a good thing. The inlet manifolds cracking at around 100K miles seems very common.

We had a couple of saloons of about that vintage at work and one thing I remember is that the MPG was way worse than Honda 'promised' - IIRC they were doing mid-30 for "rep" use, not towards 50MPG as we expected. I seriously considered one when I opted out of my company car in 2005 but was put off by the uncertainty over MPG (important for the mileage I was doing) plus I really wanted an auto and there wasn't an Accord diesel auto, although of all the cars I tried, the Accord was the one I felt i could live with as a manual - it was 5 speed but would work fine from little more than rolling to all normal speeds in 3rd gear.

Funnily enough the other day I was given a nearly new Accord saloon diesel auto as courtesy car when my wife's Jazz was being serviced. I don't know how the dimensions of the latest model stack up, but from the driver's seat it felt huge compared to my C Class estate.
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - Gromit
"I don't know how the dimensions of the latest model stack up, but from the driver's seat it felt huge "

Three colleagues at work run Accords. The current model is at least E-Class sized, whereas this previous one was closer to C-Class/3 series dimensions.

One of these guys replaced his last-model 2 litre petrol with the end-of-line last-model 2.2 diesel; I'm told his mpg in mixed driving has gone from 30 to approx. 45.
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - Dog
>>blowed if i can make out what make the tyre is

Falken Azenis ;)
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - Duncan
>> This is the car...
>>
>> www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201309188844162/sort/default/usedcars/price-from/1000/fuel-type/diesel/transmission/manual/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/maximum-mileage/over_100000_miles/price-to/2000/onesearchad/used/radius/60/postcode/de249aq/page/62?logcode=p

Don't you like TinyURL.com?

tinyurl.com/ot3wp7x
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - VxFan
>> Don't you like TinyURL.com?

Or just remove the non necessary text after the long number that directly follows the word "advert/"

eg

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201309188844162

That way it also removes your postcode (or whoever you've chosen to use)
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - helicopter
I have the 2.4 Petrol Accord EX saloon, prior to that I had the 2.4 EX Tourer. Prior to that I had a Civic , I just like reliable motors.

As Bill Payer said, check the electric tailgate as they are prone to failure and also the headlamps for condensation.... they were done under warranty on my tourer.

Its a Honda so generally it will be as reliable as any Japanese machinery and 161 k miles is not a lot for the year IMO , it sounds like it has been motorway driven which is much better than a start / stop low miler .

Its not the top spec and the tax and running are quite high but I would certainly be giving it a test drive.....
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - Robbie34

I had an Accord Tourer 2.2 I-CTDI EX that I bought new in 2004 and changed it in December for a new CR-V EX I-DTEC. The Accord was bombproof and never let me down. The only problems were with the tailgate when it was a few months old and was a known problem. The modification was done: new motor and struts, and was perfect after that.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy that Accord providing it has been serviced at the correct interval, and preferably by a Honda dealer.
I thought I would check the tax on the DVLA website, it comes up as 'vehicle not found'?? Even if it had no tax I'm sure it would have shown as 'license expired'?
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - NortonES2
The plate relates to a Kia. Input Kia and the reg. number on DVLA. RAC car data check and DVLA agree. Something odd?
Last edited by: NIL on Thu 26 Sep 13 at 11:27
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - Manatee
And on askmid.com too - on an insured Kia Picanto GS.

Maybe the seller's name is Gusauch, and they have transferred their cherished number already.
How peculiar. And its difficult to imagine why that would be done on purpose.
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - Alanovich
Either the car is snide or there's been a data entry error somewhere.

Whichever it is, it's not worth the hassle of trying to sort it out. Buy something else with no such problems.
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - tyro
Whatever happened to Statistical Outlier? He had an Accord, and if I recall correctly, did have some problems with it.
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - DP
The Honda = troublefree image doesn't really seem to sit easily with the What's Bad section on the other site. No worse than a Passat, Mondeo, Vectra etc, but by no stretch of the imagination any better either.
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - Avant
My impression is that Japanese diesel engines are no more reliable than anyone else's, and in the case of Mazda, less so. But you hear very few complaints about petrol-powered Japanese cars, so a petrol Accord should do a good job for you.
Last edited by: Avant on Thu 26 Sep 13 at 16:12
Thanks its not for me, but I have let them know to be aware of the reg and the boot issue. I'm afraid diesel only as he can claim his tax on the fuel card he fills his van up with?? He is a self employed courier by trade and this would be the school run/weekend car.
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - capsgill
Just to add my two penneth worth to bursting the Honda reliability myth

Had an Accord Tourer from new - 2003 model. Great car to drive (2.4 petrol & manual box), comfortable and spacious but... I changed to Honda in the hope of buying into the brand's alleged reliability record. Sadly this wasn't to be the case. Air con condenser (seized solid, melting the fan belt whilst doing 60), rear brake calipers, lamda sensors all had to be replaced in years 4 to 6 of ownership. This was in addition to the failures that grudgingly got sorted under warranty - tailgate motor as mentioned above, alloy wheels within 6 months of purchase, front discs also within 6 months. And this was the car sold with the tagline "isn't it nice when things just work". Don't know, gave up to find out.

Would I buy another? Not with the current interior design and reduced carrying capacity. Also the diesel engine doesn't excel at either economy or reliability.
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - Robbie34
. Also
>> the diesel engine doesn't excel at either economy or reliability.

Don't know how you can make that claim.

I had the 7th Gen Accord with the diesel engine - i.CTDI 2.2 - and it never let me down in nearly nine years of ownership. It was quite economical - 55mpg fully laden on motorways, 38mpg on urban cycle. I have the new CR-V i.DTEC and it is very economical, particularly so considering the weight and size of the CR-V. On urban runs I'm getting better than 41mpg. - full to full method.
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - IJWS14
I had an 04 Diesel tourer, first I had seen.

Four years and 128k and not many issues, there is a thread (probably on the other place) about it.

Very comfortable, front wheel drive handling. On mine the leather was showing signs of wear at 128k and would hate to think what it looked like after another 50k.

Mine was economical and averaged over 50mpg. Others had them and didn't get anywhere near that but I put it down to driving style.
Just to add thanks for all replies but this car is a no goer now - he wants a SAAB!

Sigh.

Expect a new thread sometime soon.
 Honda Accord UK - Thoughts on Honda Accord - Mapmaker
I've got one of these. An '05 with - now - 150-odd thousand miles on it. I've had it for 2 years, and done about 15k in it. As I paid 3k for mine, from a trader, this seems perhaps a bit pricey.

If you do buy one, make sure that it's had the new manifold mentioned above. Timing chain stretches and needs replacing at about 120k, injectors need replacing at the same time.

I cannot fault it, it does mid-40s mpg for me. And the interior is almost mint, so I'm surprised by the person who said that his was falling to pieces at (?)120k. The radio is a bit rubbish though (known problem).

Latest Forum Posts