Motoring Discussion > Went the day well Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 11

Went the day well - Dog
Went the Subaru well too, took the ole crate out to Carbis Bay near St. Ives where my sister and her husband are staying in Compass Point: goo.gl/maps/YU2cw

Very nice apartments, and fully equipped but, how much!!!

We drove to here: goo.gl/maps/bWDzj parked up opposite Godrevy Lighthouse at Gwithian, had a picnic on the beach followed by a walk, the sun came out and all was well with the world (it wont last)

I did 110 miles all told and the Subaru drives so well I'm very pleased with it, I used the cruise control for a bit down the A30, but I've never liked the things and I nearly had an accident when I was concentrating on the dashboard set + cruise lights until I heard a loud BEEP from someone I'd just cut up :(

Coming home, a Z3 beemer pulled out on me so I just carried on until I was almost in his boot, but the missus had the screaming ab dabs, so I backed orf.

I like West Cornwall, The Lizard, West Penwith etc., I'll move down that way, when I win the Lotto.
 Went the day well - bathtub tom
Visiting rellies of mine, they suggested parking at St Erth‎ station (IIRC) and getting the train to St Ives - worked out cheaper than parking at St Ives.

What a wonderful train journey across Carnsew Pool (does zeddo know?) and a hassle free way of visiting St Ives.
 Went the day well - Dog
My sister knows St Erth and St Ives etc. more than I do, and I've lived down here over 15 years.

They live in a poky little flat in E Dulwich so like to get away, Greece, Somerset, Derbyshire etc.

She's had more holidays this year than I've had in the last 15 years, such is life!
 Went the day well - Dutchie
They look sturdy cars Dog the Subaru glad you like it.I've got cruise control you got to watch it.Last time we where in Cornwall was over thirty years ago.From Hull to St Ives in a VW Beetle 1200cc.Roofrack on for the cases,Two lads and the missus and Trixie the crossbred Terrie Poodle.Took me forever to get there but we did.
 Went the day well - Dog
They are sturdy Dutchie, I feel confident and safe driving it, and relaxed at journeys end.

That was some journey then in a 1200cc VeeDub, I'll wager you all got up to some mischief in St Ives ;)

Oh, I've just read you had the missus with you!

:+)
Last edited by: Dog on Thu 26 Sep 13 at 22:01
 Went the day well - legacylad
Dog
A good friend of mine is staying in Carbis Bay this week. All the way from upper Ribblesdale. Very smart upside down apartments. Bay views, all mod cons.He showed me the website and it looked really nice. About £1k for the week, but 3 beds, and split amongst 5 adults (his dorters & their partners) good value per person. Could well be the same apts you looked at. Doubtless I shall catch up with him Sunday pm in the pub. Cheap beer. With a creamy head. Bet he's looking forward to that after St Ives.!
 Went the day well - Dog
>>Cheap beer. With a creamy head. Bet he's looking forward to that after St Ives.!

hehehe!

A weeks rental on the apartment my sister stayed in was £540, but she managed to get £100 knocked orf due to some faffing about by holidaylettings.co.uk

Their apartment was well-furnished and even had a 55" Samsong plasma telly, but I noticed the picture wasn't as sharp as my 42" Pana plasma :)

Sist's apartment also had a nice view ... if you like walls!! she should have checked that out beforehand I reckon.

Nice area though, one of the best in all of Cornwall IMO.
 Went the day well - legacylad
Greetings Dog

Had proper beer with my pal last night...he has just returned from Carbis Bay where he stayed with his daughters and their partners. The 'apartment' was very nice. Mariners Loft, Starboard. £200 each for the week. Enjoyable walking on the coast path, and an area he would return to.
Personally I prefer to move on each day, especially when backpacking, but I could be seriously tempted by that particular accommodation.
 Went the day well - Mapmaker
>>The 'apartment' was very nice. Mariners Loft, Starboard.

I'd rather die than spend a week in a soul-less white box like that. And it's supposed to have been a holiday...?!
 Went the day well - Dog
My sisters sentiments too regarding Compass Point in Carbis Bay.

Her words: I wouldn't really want to go back to Carbis Bay. I've never seen so many flats outside of a council estate.
 Went the day well - FocalPoint
We're off once again to Falmouth on Friday for a flying visit to my elderly aunt. We'll be out walking somewhere nice, weather permitting, on Saturday afternoon - probably along the River Fal round some of the creeks up towards Truro.

The Lizard I know pretty well, having been taken there by my parents when I was younger. The walls of my home are hung with the many pictures my father painted - mostly of that part of Cornwall.

I also got to know most of the rest of West Cornwall too, though not in so much detail.

Cornwall, for me, still has that slightly other-worldly feel to it; apart from the fact that many of the Cornish seem to feel they are at most a semi-detached part of Britain (stemming partly from geography and history, partly from social issues), the landscape itself has something to do with it and maybe the weather too.
 Went the day well - Dog
The Cornish have a Celtic background of course, plus a Cornish language, add that to the geographical position down in the far South West of Britain and it's easy to understand why they see themselves as, um, semi-detached.

We have lived down here for over nigh-on 16 years now and quite like that feeling of being cut orf from the rest of England :)

Anyone can (and do) move to Cornwall, knock out a few bairns, and say they are Cornish (see other thread!) but the 'real' Cornish, who go back over many generations, are really lovely people, once you get to know them, and they are very welcoming too - to anybody from anywhere, as those that have made their home here have found.

It may be sunnier in the Canaries and Cyprus, with a tad less rain too, but it wouldn't be Cornwall, would it ;)
Latest Forum Posts