Motoring Discussion > Friday Poser Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 10

Friday Poser - borasport
That’s Poser as in question
Just over three months ago I swapped a 59 reg Octavia Estate 1.6 TDI diesel for a 13 reg Octavia 1.6 TDI saloon – the official ‘urban’ consumption for the first was 62 mpg and the equivalent figure for the new car is 74 mpg – a difference of 19% if my maths is correct, which seems quite a lot, even taking in to account engine developments and stop-start technology etc

I filled up earlier this week after 5370 miles and then checked what the equivalent consumption was on the previous car at 5390 miles – anybody like to guess what sort of variation I am actually seeing ?
If I remember, I’ll let you know before I leave work
 Friday Poser - R.P.
+5%
 Friday Poser - CGNorwich
Official urban consumption for your car would seem to be 58.9mpg not 74mpg

carfueldata.direct.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx?vid=31815

Friday Poser - borasport
Last edited by: borasport on Fri 27 Sep 13 at 11:50
 Friday Poser - Falkirk Bairn
>> anybody like to guess what sort of variation I am actually seeing ?

None - both were within 0.1 mpg
 Friday Poser - ....
Did the '59 reg have a DPF ?

If not then the new car will use between 5 and 10% more fuel.
 Friday Poser - tyro
I'll go with Falkirk Bairn.
 Friday Poser - Slidingpillar
And often a diesel will take 10000 miles before it delivers its highest power so I'd expect fuel consumption to be the same.
 Friday Poser - mikeyb
Negligible difference either way. Mechanically similar so the better claimed MPG figure will just have come from being more creative with the tests rather than a genuine 19% improvement
 Friday Poser - borasport
>> Negligible difference either way. Mechanically similar so the better claimed MPG figure will just have
>> come from being more creative with the tests rather than a genuine 19% improvement
>>

absolutely

car 1, 53.66
car 2, 53.48
 Friday Poser - tyro
Interesting. Very interesting.
Latest Forum Posts