Motoring Discussion > Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock
Thread Author: Boxsterboy Replies: 25

Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - Boxsterboy
One of our managers cars Contract Hire is up in January, so we are looking at replacements. Within a monthly limit, he can have what he wants (BiK rules are so tough that they restrict excessive frivolity).

He fancies a diesel SLK, which should be within budget. So I popped into Mercedes Benz World to find out more. I passed a new CLA Sport 220 CDI, and expected it, with a few options to be Golf GTi money. It is after all only a booted A-class with added tinsel. How wrong was I!

£40,000!! The same money could buy an E class estate 220CDI. a proper Merc! I suppose they have to pay for the adverts and glass palaces somehow, but £40,000?!

And the CLA is hideous! It reminds me of my grans old Riley 1500 with its droopy tail and blinged up trim. Yuk!
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - madf
I think it exudes class.
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - PeterS
I think the display model must have had a whole heap of options thrown at it! According to DtD the list price of a CLA 220 CDI AMG Sport 4 door tip auto COMAND with metallic paint just over £34k...which is probably very close to that of a Golf with sat nav, metallic and an auto box
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - R.P.
A specc'd up GT1 just shy of 27k
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - Zero
>> I think it excludes class.
>>
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - Boxsterboy
It had Comand, metallic paint and possibly upgraded alloys, but not much else that was obvious. But £40 grands worth? No way!
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - ....
I quite liked the look of these in the press releases then I saw one in the metal.
The car is oddly out of proportion and those press pics were hand picked.

It's too narrow with standard Mercedes size lights and grill at the front, the rear lights take up too much of the boot opening.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 28 Sep 13 at 19:49
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - Bill Payer
I'll probably be completely wrong, but I think this car could be a disaster for MB in the UK - I just can't think who would buy it.

What might distort things is the bonkers lease pcp and lease deals that MB throw at some of their models.
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - swiss tony
>> I'll probably be completely wrong, but I think this car could be a disaster for MB in the UK - I just can't think who would buy it.

There have been a few CLA's sold

Mercs lemon seems to be the new R231 SL.
There has been major 'price realignment' since launch - ie lowered prices and increased specs (but with many options being made unavailable)
I expect a major facelift early in its life....
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - -
I saw the most ugly MB for a long time this week, a CLS estate of some sort which has taken the banana shape to new hideous lengths, horrid thing, i thought the CLS saloon was crass but its a lesson in beauty compared to this assault on my mincers.

This CLA thingy, it is driven by the correct wheels isn't it, its not a Benz if the front wheels drag it.
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - PeterS

>> This CLA thingy, it is driven by the correct wheels isn't it, its not a
>> Benz if the front wheels drag it.
>>

Unfortunately not - the CLA is FWD and based on the A/B class I think.
''Unfortunately not - the CLA is FWD and based on the A/B class I think.''

Had a feeling this might be the case, so knocking on towards £40k for a FWD shopping trolley, never a shortage of people with more money than sense.
>> Had a feeling this might be the case, so knocking on towards £40k for a
>> FWD shopping trolley, never a shortage of people with more money than sense.
>>

There's feedback on one of the Merecedes forums from a member who had a CLA to try and he said he was more impressed by the Nissan Note courtesy car he had while his missus's Micra was in for service!
>> There's feedback on one of the Merecedes forums from a member who had a CLA
>> to try and he said he was more impressed by the Nissan Note courtesy car
>> he had while his missus's Micra was in for service!

bet that went down well..;)

Only driven Note's a few times, found them a very nice competent car with very good ride quality over the bumps, on sensible tyres mind.
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - Avant
It's difficult to see how one could justify choosing an A-class - any of them - over a Golf, A3 or 1-series, all of which are cheaper. The old model was at least different from the competition; this one is just a very expensive small car.

I suppose Mercedes hope that Germans with E- or S-classes will buy the A-class as a second car.
>> I suppose Mercedes hope that Germans with E- or S-classes will buy the A-class as
>> a second car.
>>

It might be an urban myth but that's apparently what MB said when they introduced the first A Class. However I don't see CLA fulfilling that role.

Maybe other countries will take to it - I saw a Russian based poster in another forum saying there was huge excitement about it there.
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - Alastairw
The CLA is aimed at the US market. If the can sell a few here all the better.

I actually think the small saloon may be coming back into fashion (see also Audi A3 in yesterday's paper). The compact dimensions and economy of a hatch, with the useful boot of a saloon for carrying golf bats etc.
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - bathtub tom
I see there's likely to be an A class in next years British Touring Car Championship.

That'll be interesting.
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - Bromptonaut
The Mercedes badged Renault Kangoo is somewhere over £20k. Now maybe they're pitching more at commercial users dealing in monthly lease/finance costs so 'retail' is irrelevant to their 'pitch'.

As a rival for a £13.5k Berlingo it wasn't worth the trip to look at one.
>> The CLA is aimed at the US market.

Apparently they worked hard to get the price under $30K in the US - and that's for the US entry level model, CLA250. Of course there's no VAT there, but it's still a heck of lot cheaper than in the UK and, considering the car is built in Europe (Hungary) selling at that price must be horrible for Mercedes. They're desperate to get their volumes up though.
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - The Nut

>> I actually think the small saloon may be coming back into fashion (see also Audi
>> A3 in yesterday's paper). The compact dimensions and economy of a hatch, with the useful
>> boot of a saloon for carrying golf bats etc.
>>

My first car was a nova saloon, while the car was a horrible heap of junk in almost every way, the boot was massive compared to any other small car. If I was in the market for a focus sized car I would consider dropping down to fiesta sized if a saloon was an option.
Last edited by: The Nut on Sun 29 Sep 13 at 22:00
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - Bromptonaut
The Nova saloon was a ringer for an HA or HB series Viva.
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - spamcan61
>> The Nova saloon was a ringer for an HA or HB series Viva.
>>

Yes they always reminded me of a modernised Viva HA.
 Mercedes Benz - Mercedes CLA price shock - henry k
>>If I was in the market for a focus sized car I would consider dropping down to fiesta sized if a saloon was an option.
>>
Unlike other markets,the Brits do not like saloons they demand hatchbacks.
>>
e.g BL Victoria decades ago not on sale here .
Sierra Sapphire, Mondeo 2 both of which I had problems finding in high spec with any autbox.
I gave up searching for a Mondeo auto saloon after only seeing one on sale in 12 months.
Yaris saloon is sold in other markets.
One of the things i like about saloons is that you can have the boot space a slightly longer gives you, but without the bloating width of the next model up.

Cars have got too wide now in the Mondeo/Insignia segment now, big as MB E classes, i don't mind the length but they've got too wide for ease of use on our narrow lanes and urban roads, its quite dicey watching some drivers trying to navigate their road ships down the 6'6" width restricted sections of contraflow or narrowed motorways section, they miss the lorry they are overtaking by inches and seem quite unaware, mirror attrition rate must be high.

Another plus point for the previous generation of cars which were a bit more sensibly proportioned.
>>
>>... I would consider dropping
>> down to fiesta sized if a saloon was an option.
>>
Hmmm....www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/fiesta-saloon-chinese
Latest Forum Posts