Motoring Discussion > BMW 5-Series E34 - 1996 528i, worth a punt? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 7

BMW 5-Series E34 - 1996 528i, worth a punt? - Auntie Lockbrakes
Sort of follows on from big Al's recent 20-year old car thread...

Private seller near me has a 1996 528i for sale. 140,000 miles, looks immaculate in dark metallic green with beige leather interior. Auto box and climate control. 2 Goodyear Eagles on the front, 2 A1s on the rear. Has documented service history up to 120k apparently. Body & paint look remarkably good. Original alloy wheels not scuffed. Would I be picking up a bargain at the right price, or a money pit?! Not worried about mpg, just reliability...
 BMW 5-Series E34 - 1996 528i, worth a punt? - nice but dim
Do it while you can if the moneys there. I suspect BMW fairly reliable for an older car. Engines will be tough although i would expect to replace rubber bushes and links in the suspension if not done at that mileage. Expect the odd non essential interor electrical item to be iffy. Check carsurvey.org for worldwide reviews.

Just one point to add. 1996 was a change over year for the 5 series when the E39 model was launched and replaced E34. IIRC there wasnt a E34 528i in the UK .Does this one have twin circle headlights E34 or a single headlight E39. Could be differant down under though and neither model are unriliable but would obviously make a differance to the value.
 BMW 5-Series E34 - 1996 528i, worth a punt? - Lygonos
2 questions need answered:

Why has the service history ended at 120,000 (? new owner who has done nothing with it, or has serviced it themselves)

Why are they selling (? owner has died, or current owner knows there's a juicy bill imminent)

As ever - condition is everything at this age. Engines are typically tough, but autoboxes usually need a major refurb around 100-150k miles so I'd be very vigilant ona test drive, preferably one where you can drive the car from cold until it is warmed through.
 BMW 5-Series E34 - 1996 528i, worth a punt? - -
Don't see many E34's about now.

Daresay it will be quite sound mechanically if you keep up its obvious previous good maintenance, its underneath in the sill jacking point and main chassis areas and around the boot floor as well as subrames cross members and their mountings etc that i'd be concentrating my examinations, and lift the carpets and see what the sills floors and joints are like from inside, same in the boot, check the front and rear bulkheads too..

These cars need good tyres and yours sounds correctly shod (at least at the front what are A1's?) and should be sensible tyre sizes with replacement relatively cheap, my lad had a E28 528 for a while fitted with Corsa ditchfinders that proved to be like a tea trolley to control on anything except a bone dry road, but was mechanically sound it was howver rusting severely in the underbody.

A friend had a 728 of similar year when it was about 5 years, astonishingly quick car so the lighter 5 will be effortless.

www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f90/ worth a look but there must be others too
 BMW 5-Series E34 - 1996 528i, worth a punt? - corax
>> Just one point to add. 1996 was a change over year for the 5 series
>> when the E39 model was launched and replaced E34. IIRC there wasnt a E34 528i
>> in the UK .Does this one have twin circle headlights E34 or a single headlight
>> E39. Could be differant down under though

Agreed, and depending on which model it is will determine the reliability. E34's in this country at least, came as a 518i, 520i, 525i then jumped to 530i, plus other larger V8's

E39's had the 520i, 523i, 528i, 530i, 535i and 540i V8's. Nicasil lumps originally and not as durable as the iron blocks in the E34's.

There are far more niggly electronic faults in E39's as they get older, look up a buyers guide.

Also the cooling systems are weak, and really need overhauling around 100k.
 BMW 5-Series E34 - 1996 528i, worth a punt? - Zero
>> Not worried about
>> mpg, just reliability...

You don't buy a 17 year old car if your prime motive is reliability.
 BMW 5-Series E34 - 1996 528i, worth a punt? - -
Not sure i agree with that Z, i'd pitch my old MB against any comparable car built recently, it lacks too much of the electronics which plague newer cars.

Yes they need appropriate care, which might well involve partial engine stripping for timing chains water pumps oil coolers etc whilst doing other engine work (just had mine done) but sensible preventative maintenance has always been cost effective unless the vehicle has reached the pont of throw it away when something costing £X+ breaks.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 29 Sep 13 at 09:39
 BMW 5-Series E34 - 1996 528i, worth a punt? - Zero

>> Yes they need appropriate care, which might well involve partial engine stripping for timing chains
>> water pumps oil coolers etc whilst doing other engine work (just had mine done)

Exactly

>> but
>> sensible preventative maintenance

I dont call partial engine rebuilds "sensible preventative maintenance" You are int he realms of classic car restoration, not cheap reliable motoring, which I understand is where the OP is coming from.
Latest Forum Posts