Motoring Discussion > Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 38

Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - R.P.
Having hovered here between 137 and 138 for ages, I popped out earlier to next village - Gulf service station was selling at 132.....nice drop.
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - Falkirk Bairn
129p @ local Tesco and only 5p more for higher octane -

Shell V-power is 7-9p more depending on the outlet.
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - Bromptonaut
Same our way but different numbers as ours drink diesel. Gradually crept up to 142.9 though with occasional penny dips since mid summer.

On Friday it was down to 137.9 at Sainsbury Sixfields. Suspect the Asda effect albeit at a distance; they were advertising nationally about latest cut.

Suggests it will be around 134.9 at Fosse Park where the Asda threat is real and over the road.

Was in Liverpool yesterday where Tesco Allerton Rd was charging 136.9. Did'nt buy as new Berlingo is doing 50+mpg and was still over half full. Lad's uni stock up shop got me 5p off voucher which I'll use at home when one car or other is empty.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 29 Sep 13 at 13:38
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - Ted

I've got a couple of cars to move later so I'll come back via Tesco and see what their DERV is atm. I need to fill anyway and I've got a 5p off voucher which is valid 'til the 8th. Get me clubcard points as well.

Ted
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - RattleandSmoke
Tesco in Stretford is 129.9p but the Tesco Express near me is still 135.9p. I don't think you can use the fuel vouchers the express though as it is an Esso.

I think your Express is Esso. You don't get Clubcard points either.

Ted
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - nice but dim
Ted, check that Express. some now give clubcard points but only at 1 point per £3 spent on fuel, came in last year. I've decided that clubcard points arent worth collecting on fuel anymore, not when Asda are always 2.2p cheaper per litre - 1.287 near me.
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - Roger.
Sainsbury's today - unleaded at £129.9 per litre.
A bit smug, as I now pay for petrol at Sainsbury's for Nectar points, using my Tesco Clubcard credit card for Tesco points! (Straight home & I paid off the credit card purchase from First Direct current account.)
Crazy to put revenue items on the strap!
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - Robin O'Reliant
I'd be happy for the stuff to stay at the same price for a couple of years, at least you'd know where you are. Up one month, down the next, what a pain.
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - mikeyb
Filled up Mrs B's today and paid 136.9 for derv at sainsburys. Think the UL was 130.9.

For some unknown reason Mrs B decided that we were buying fuel first before popping in for a few bits, and as it happened the til spewed out a £6 of £60 spend so bit of a result.

Also use my tesco cubcard credit card to pay for most things and clear the balance each month. Managing to get between 25 - 30 quid a quarter in vouchers and rarely set foot in a tesco so usually manage to trade them in for some bella italia / pizza express vouchers.

Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - Harleyman
Up one month, down the next,
>> what a pain.
>>

Think yourself lucky you don't live in Canada. Price changes every day over there. Not sure about the USA but I daresay it's similar.
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - Mike H
>> Up one month, down the next,
>> >> what a pain.
>> >>
>>
>> Think yourself lucky you don't live in Canada. Price changes every day over there. Not
>> sure about the USA but I daresay it's similar.
>>
Here in Austria, it's common to see three changes a day! And not insignificant ones either, sometimes as much as 5 cents/litre. Yesterday, the prices were €1.34 for diesel, similar for unleaded, and €1.42 for super unleaded - cheapest prices we've seen for a while, but significantly cheaper than the UK. And diesel is always cheaper than petrol.
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - VxFan
>> Ted, check that Express. some now give clubcard points but only at 1 point per
>> £3 spent on fuel, came in last year.

Re: Tesco fuel and points. I used to get a point for every £1 of fuel I bought at Tesco with my Tesco Mastercard. As of the start of September they now only give 1 point for every £2 spent - unless you buy Momentum99.

Never got to the big Tecso...the office rang with 2 more jobs for when the city was unlocked after the conference.

One job was to fill up an Aygo which had been left on fumes for the next customer so I opted for the nearest fuel as I was knacked. Turned out to be a Tesco Express / Esso but the lass said I couldn't have the points...Spent over £41...it was empty !

Ted
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - Alastairw
When I was at Liverpool University that Tesco was brand new, and the biggest I had ever seen - I lived a sheltered life until then! Is he staying in halls?
>> When I was at Liverpool University that Tesco was brand new, and the biggest I
>> had ever seen - I lived a sheltered life until then! Is he staying in
>> halls?

He's at Liverpool Hope, in halls at Taggart Lane(?). He'll live out next year hopefully

Mrs B was at Liverpool Uni from 77-81 so remembers the area another generation back.

I was in Liverpool working the day Lennon was shot. Turned Radio City on just after 7 and assumed they must play a Beatles segue every day. Only when three back to back tracks ended was the news repeated. I was in a hotel in Tithebarn St and Mrs B a few hundred yards away in Uni halls.

But it was another two and a half years until we met...
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 29 Sep 13 at 20:01
I popped into Bangor Tesco Extra today for the first time in months. Lights, clean, stocked shelves, people in proper outdoor clothes (not nightwear) - Asda must be the crappiest third world shop in the UK. Even worse since they introduced these drag-along baskets for the obese.....my God how I hate the place........
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - madf
Asda must be the crappiest third world shop in the UK.

You must live a sheltered life:-) Try Poundland or FarmFoods..
Been to Home Bargains...and that ain't bad.
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - RattleandSmoke
My local Morrisons is not too bad but it is the people in it that drive me mad, often full of posh yummy mummy yuppy types. They think they are so important that everybody else needs to move of the way. It is also quite small and cramped, it opened in about 1985 I think and was one of the first big supermarkets in the area. Sadly however it is really showing its age now.

Must be one of the most profitable stores though, because it is small but always always mad busy.

I don't like the new Tesco megastore much, always playing loud chart music as you can go in and the place just a bit too big.

As for ASDA I really really really hate the one in Hulme, just something about the place so I avoid it.

Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - nice but dim

>> Asda must be the crappiest third world shop in the UK.
>>
>>
>> You must live a sheltered life:-) Try Poundland or FarmFoods..
>>

Try Iceland, "s'only 99p"
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - CGNorwich
Strange that. Morrisons is distinctly mid-market in Norwich. Bright , nice wide aisles, minimum amount of clutter. Fish and vegetables and fruit particularly good.
I think it depends whether its pre-Safeway or Post- Morrisons. The SW in Caernarfon is singularly awful. Surprisingly the modern Morrisons in Holyhead is OK...may actually start shopping there. Asda is too dire for words.
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - Zero
Us southerners get posh Morrisons, complete with cascading clouds over the salad items.
We're still at the "club it an it's yours" stage up here
Yep we've got those water vapour sprays over the rocket and lambs ears lettuce. My recollection of the North was that they didn't do salad up there.

Never sure whether Norwich is "southern'' though..certainly not Northern. Where does the south end and the north begin?
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - Duncan
>> Never sure whether Norwich is "southern'' though..certainly not Northern. Where does the south end and
>> the north begin?
>>

Watford.

Everybody knows that.
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - bathtub tom
>> >> Never sure whether Norwich is "southern'' though..certainly not Northern. Where does the south end
>> and
>> >> the north begin?
>> >>
>>
>> Watford.
>>
>> Everybody knows that.

Too many people think that means the Watford south of Watford..........................
>> >> >> Never sure whether Norwich is "southern'' though..certainly not Northern. Where does the south
>> end
>> >> and
>> >> >> the north begin?
>> >> >>
>> >>
>> >> Watford.
>> >>
>> >> Everybody knows that.
>>
>> Too many people think that means the Watford south of Watford..........................

Watford gap is north.

>> Too many people think that means the Watford south of Watford..........................

Aye.

The Watford Gap is 10 miles north of here. Watford Herts is 40 miles south.

>> Never sure whether Norwich is "southern'' though..certainly not Northern.

Its east.
Yep I worked out it's East. But when we talk about a North/South divide where do you put it?

I would say its mindset is Southern.

Lincoln though seem to fall in the Northern camp as does Birmingham.

>> I would say its mindset is Southern.
>>

And its demographic set is Deep Southern.
And its demographic set is Deep Southern.

Paddle faster boy I can hear banjos...
>> Yep I worked out it's East. But when we talk about a North/South divide where
>> do you put it?
>>

Sigh.

Watford.

Sigh.

For the avoidance of confusion, that is Watford, Hertfordshire.
>> Yep I worked out it's East. But when we talk about a North/South divide where
>> do you put it?
>>
>> I would say its mindset is Southern.
>>
>> Lincoln though seem to fall in the Northern camp as does Birmingham.

There is a strict demarcation line, but its not horizontal across the country, Imagine a straight line drawn between Gloucester in the west, and Kings Lynn in the east. South of that line is "The South" North of that line is "Opp North"

You have to be terribly precise about the placement of the line, if you are not its possible that Peterborough could escape south (being Northern by 3/4 of a mile) and heaven forbid, Corby might even be "Southern" (tho you have a 5 mile buffer zone)
>> its possible that Peterborough could escape south (being Northern by 3/4 of a mile)
>> and heaven forbid, Corby might even be "Southern" (tho you have a 5 mile buffer
>> zone)
>>

Oh! Good lord!

Save us from that, please!
>> Yep we've got those water vapour sprays over the rocket and lambs ears lettuce. My
>> recollection of the North was that they didn't do salad up there.
>>

They do, but usually it only involves potato, and for some reason the mayonnaise is replaced by a coating of boiling lard.
 Give it beans...petrol's cheaper. - madf
We've got a Morrisons with that posh display...I find Aldi's salads are as good and half the price - but the range is of course limited.
Latest Forum Posts