Motoring Discussion > Chrysler Voyager. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 24

Chrysler Voyager. - Ted
Son in law been offered a 2003 Voyager diesel.......probably auto. Friend selling.

Any thoughts ?

Ted
 Chrysler Voyager. - Zero
>> Son in law been offered a 2003 Voyager diesel.......probably auto. Friend selling.
>>
>> Any thoughts ?

Horrifically unreliable, expensive to keep on the road, bottom of customer sat surveys throughout that period.

Avoid.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 30 Sep 13 at 17:33
 Chrysler Voyager. - carmalade
The diesel version is an absolute kiss of death .The petrol model is slightly better in terms of reliability ,engine more reliable but uses more fuel,not much more.Parts are very difficult to source if they are jeep only and incredibly expensive for a car that is basically a family runabout.Walk away.
 Chrysler Voyager. - mikeyb
Please please talk him out of it unless its free.

Some close friends had one (a 2003 diesel, but manual) and it almost ruined them. IIRC they paid 19K for it when it was under 2 years old, and rough cost for repairs were around the same during the 5 years they owned it. It was truly the most unreliable modern car I have ever come across. Also has one of the worst euro ncap ratings of anything of that era - not something you want in a car to move your kids around

Add in high fuel consumption and I cant really see any reason to buy one
I should also add that it only had 75K on the clock when they gave up and almost gave it away.
 Chrysler Voyager. - legacylad
Likewise. A friend bought one to take his family skiing to Austria. They have family out there and drive to Zell 4 or 5 times each ski season. It was a pile of poo. Totally unreliable. Bought new and sold within a year. He went back to running a VW Caravelle.
 Chrysler Voyager. - No FM2R
We had this one..

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201303085676204

Which is 2 years newer and the *Grand* Voyager.

Perhaps those two factors make the difference, because I thought this one was a blooming marvelous people carrier. Not great on fuel, even as a diesel, but brilliant for the family and brilliant capacity and comfort.

I'd have another one tomorrow.
 Chrysler Voyager. - Boxsterboy
The 'owners reviews' in that AT ad are more complimentary than the comments on here. I've only driven one (well two, actually) as hire cars in the States with big 4 cylinder petrol engines. They were fine if a bit uninspiring
 Chrysler Voyager. - Alastairw
One of the mums at lacrosse had one. She ran it on her husbands company so fuel wasn't an issue and she liked it. However, it was replaced by a Merc GL450, and subsequently an Audi Q7
 Chrysler Voyager. - Lygonos
Seem to recall it scored a tasty one star in its first Euro NCAP test for front crash.

Hmm: 2 stars.

I wonder if they appealed and got an extra star

www.euroncap.com/tests/chrysler_voyager_1999/56.aspx

Fared worse in the 2007 incarnation with the second star scored through

www.euroncap.com/tests/chrysler_voyager_2007/277.aspx
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 30 Sep 13 at 21:11
 Chrysler Voyager. - No FM2R
As I recall, isn't NCAP largely rated upon a collision with another similar or same vehicle?

If so, then the fact that its bigger than most other things on the road must be relevant?
 Chrysler Voyager. - Zero
I hit a bus with my 5* car. The bus driver came off worse.
 Chrysler Voyager. - Armel Coussine
I had a head-on with a black cab in a Skoda Estelle, and the cab came off worse.

Heh heh... we were both equally to blame for the crash. But guess who was more embarrassed? I had to help him bend his front wing back off the wheel. Snigger.
 Chrysler Voyager. - Lygonos
NCAP shows that the RHD version is nowhere near as safe as the LHD variant, largely due to Chrysler not spending enough time and money engineering the vehicle for RHD.

Not related but one of my all-time favourite crash tests...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D827IxEJVS4
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 30 Sep 13 at 21:26
Not sure I've seen a ncap report that contains so much negativity.

By comparison the espace of that era scores 4 and then later 5 *
 Chrysler Voyager. - Ted

Thanx for the input girls. I'll tell him all about it tomorrow. I was in the Toyota main dealers today ( like every blooming day ) and asked the service manager if he had heard anything about them. He went and got one of his technicians who I had a long chat with. He came to Toyota from a Chrysler dealers and thought they were basically ok as long as the belt was changed at 75K. He mentioned handbrake mechs seizing up. Didn't mention NCap, of course.

I'lll see what SiL thinks...up to him, he's 45 now and a big boy.

Ted
Chrysler dealers charge like an angry bull so I suspect the guy you spoke to never saw anything outside of warranty which may account for his positive outlook

In fairness and to give an impartial view "BBC style" I should also add that another friend has a petrol model and I don't recall him moaning about it. Its just gone in favour of a discovery.

If he goes through with it I look forward to weekly reports :-)
 Chrysler Voyager. - Ted
Well, he's gone and done the deal at £900. I let him read all the posts here but on balance he decided to give it a punt. The only problem was that he couldn't start it. His pal who owned it, also a long term pal of my son, couldn't help as he is currently in Lincoln prison doing 2 years bird for setting up a cannabis farm in Derbyshire ! That's the reason for the sale,...to raise a bit of cash to help with the mortgage. Silly sod !

I went to look at it over the weekend for the first time. It still wouldn't start, even with a newly charged battery and my booster pack. It wasn't even clicking, let alone turning although all the dash was lit up. I let SiL try a few times then I got in and started it first kick. I thought I'd have a bit of fun and wind him up a bit. ' Nowt wrong with that ' I said and he got back in...nothing !
I repeated the procedure.....started on the button for me. Not for him. After half a dozen times, me trying not to larf and he getting more frustrated, I told him to press the clutch down when starting.........I'm a rotten **********...or I think that's what he said !

Pleased with that, I took a look over the car. Tyres all ok. Bodywork ( black ) dull and needing a T cut. Small dent on the n/s C post by the sliding door and back bumper scuffed here and there.
Mechanically, everything seems to work, small oil leak from crankshaft oil seal ( common ). Ticked over nicely and quietly. Found the radio code so that, and the DVD player in the roof , worked OK. Driver's window didn't work so fuse to be investigated later.

Diesel 2.5 Italian engine with manual box. All gears worked and clutch was strong. We can sort the oil leak out later. Towbar fitted...useful.

Interior in grey leather, couple of square inches of Dulux on the driver's seat but the rest just needs a good clean.

He's spoken to the previous owner ( before the jailbird ) and he's given a good account of the car. He also told him who the previous owner to him from new was. He just happens to be someone I know, being the joint owner of the bodyshop where I take any damaged firm's cars. A really nice guy who wouldn't have skimped on the car. I'll be ringing him tomorrow for a chat.

Now anyone want a W reg 1600 white Megane with long MOT and taxed ?

Ted
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 27 Dec 13 at 01:19
 Chrysler Voyager. - bathtub tom
I like that Ted, a fortnight to think it over.

How did that affect the price?
 Chrysler Voyager. - Ted

He wanted the £900...3 months mortgage I think. Difficult to haggle with prison visiting only.

SiL thought it worth it...nothing as cheap on EBay except scrappers.

We'll see how it goes. Off to bed !

Ted
 Chrysler Voyager. - Fullchat
<< His pal who owned it, also a long term pal of my son, couldn't help as he is currently in Lincoln prison doing 2 years bird for setting up a cannabis farm in Derbyshire !>>

Getting rid of some assets before the Proceeds of Crime Act gets them? :)
 Chrysler Voyager. - retgwte
I have seen the crash reports of right hand drive versions and would never use one myself due to the rubbish crash performance. Didnt they fail the crash tests eventually forcing them off the market here?
 Chrysler Voyager. - Dulwich Estate
Tony Blair had one before becoming PM. Reason enough to avoid one.
 Chrysler Voyager. - Armel Coussine
>> Tony Blair had one before becoming PM. Reason enough to avoid one.

Absolutely. Nor would a decent person buy a Mercedes because Hitler had lots, or a Cadillac because Nixon was sometimes seen in one, or a Lancia or Fiat (Mussolini)... best to avoid cars altogether because all makes are somehow associated with bad people.

Join the Amish. Get a buggy. Be plain.

(Tchah!)
 Chrysler Voyager. - Stuu
>>Join the Amish. Get a buggy. Be plain <<

Wont work, origins in Switzerland, home of Nazi gold and we are back to Hitler.
Latest Forum Posts