Motoring Discussion > Part Exchange Valuations Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Dieselboy Replies: 12

Part Exchange Valuations - Dieselboy
Hello all,

I'm trying to establish a reasonable p/ex valuation for my C4 Picasso and am getting confuddled by apparent wild variations. I know some dealers will want my car and some will not (have even spoken to one dealer who said he didn't take anything French in p/ex!) - however so far I have -

Non franchised - £5300
Non franchised - £5800
Webuyanycar - £5425
carcashcow - £5500
Carcraft(!) - somewhere between £5625 and £6625

Whatcar valuation service - £7250
Parkers - £5570
Glasses - somewhere between £3910 - £5280

I know cost to change is king, but how can I establish a starting point when I can't put a stake in the ground?!
 Part Exchange Valuations - Zero
well clearly its somewhere between £5.3 and £5.8k, but as you say its the cost to change that counts, you don't need to "put s stake int he ground" with you old car, because the cost to buy goes up with the valuation of your part ex.

I am saying the cost to change does not change.
 Part Exchange Valuations - Stuu
Alot of dealers favour CAP because it puts lower values on cars, find out where they get their prices from, Glasses tend to value higher.

Last edited by: FoR on Tue 1 Oct 13 at 15:08
 Part Exchange Valuations - Old Navy
>> I am saying the cost to change does not change.
>>

It does, that's the price you negotiate. Windscreen sticker price and trade in are only guides.
Surely I do need a stake in the ground, as the value of my car forms part of the cost to change calculation.

Anyway, it's looking somewhere between £5500 and £6000 according to a few enquiries I have made this afternoon. This gives me a good base to look at cars in a certain price range which I think I can then bring my cost to change down through good old fashioned negotiation.
 Part Exchange Valuations - mikeyb
>> Surely I do need a stake in the ground, as the value of my car
>> forms part of the cost to change calculation.

Not really. Some dealers will have high screen prices in order to flatter with high part ex prices, others have smaller margins and will give you bottom book.

If a dealer says he will only give you 4K for it it could still be the right deal for you in the car you buy is at the right price.

Given the offer from WBAC is it worth an ebay / autotrader add to put you in a cash buyer position?
 Part Exchange Valuations - Mapmaker
I'd have thought an autotrader ad on the lines of "WBAC have offered me 'x', here it is up for £500 more" would be sure to give you cash.
 Part Exchange Valuations - Westpig
Exact model, truthful condition and mileage?
C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi EGS 5 seat in wicked red. 35,500 miles with FMDSH. Mot Feb 14. Excellent overall condition. Couple of scratches on plastic lower dash. Couple of light scratches on side panels - car park wars?

Part Exchange Valuations - -
I'd be inclined to do as MikeyB/Mapmaker suggests and advertise, depending on how good the rest of the car is then it might be worth getting a handy little one man and his body shop to sort the scratches out for you first.

Does the WBAC offer includes their knowledge of the light damage, for they will cut the offer for damage not on the self assessment, if its a reasonably firm offer and every little nick they already know about then you have a ball park figure to play with when negotiating.

by the way from your list of offers, isn't WBAC and Carcraft the same thing?
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Thu 3 Oct 13 at 09:44
 Part Exchange Valuations - martint123
>>
>> by the way from your list of offers, isn't WBAC and Carcraft the same thing?
>>
Yup, but isn't WBAC is just buying the car whereas Carcraft would be a p/ex price.
 Part Exchange Valuations - -
>> Yup, but isn't WBAC is just buying the car whereas Carcraft would be a p/ex price.
>>

Perish that thought, shudder just went up me spine.
I wouldn't entertain buying a car from Carcraft, was just using them to see what the p/ex would be.

I could do it privately, but I am inherently lazy. Just how much extra would I get for the hassle of sorting the bits out, advertising, sifting the scammers out, having people turn up and offer silly money etc etc etc?

Good advice above - many thanks everyone.
Latest Forum Posts