Motoring Discussion > Finally got a car for Driving Miscellaneous
Thread Author: ToMoCo Replies: 29

Finally got a car for Driving - ToMoCo
& not not simply for commuting/doing a job.

Finally got myself a car to enjoy, fettle and have a bit of fun with.

A Japanese import Toyota Soarer.

I originally fancied a V8 with the bullet proof 1UZ engine, whisper quiet and silky smooth, but decided to leave this for (possibly) further down the line and went for the faster 1JZ turbo.

So it’s a ’96 model 2.5 straight six. This model year was the introduction of VVTi and has a single larger turbo rather than the two smaller turbos of the earlier models. Comes with a proper auto box built by Aisin-Warner (A340E) and is super smooth even at 17 years old.

It’s claimed it has 360 bhp. I’m always sceptical about such claims, but what I do know is that the car is insanely fast compared to anything I’ve driven before. Just can’t help smiling every time I take it out.

Insurance is perfectly reasonable (I think) at just over £300 a year on a classic policy.

Love the car so much I’m tempted to get a V8 one, get an LPG system installed and use it as a daily driver.
 Finally got a car for Driving - Alanovich
Woof woof. Nice jalopy.

I'd be tempted with a Nissan Stagea estate, if I could swallow the fuel costs.

Hope you enjoy it. Sounds ace.

Oh, EDIT. Pictures, please?
Last edited by: Alanović on Mon 7 Oct 13 at 14:40
 Finally got a car for Driving - -
Known a couple of geezers with these over the year both of 'em completely bonkers i liked them both, good durable motors by all accounts.

Japanese greys are superb, insane cars that you just don't get here normally well unless you've got a footballers budget, Skyline performance but in a Luxury cosseted luxo barge body, point and squirt, enjoy.

Finally got a car for Driving - corax
Lovely looking cars, bulletproof mechanicals. I bet everything works too. What's not to like?
 Finally got a car for Driving - Mike H
>> I'd be tempted with a Nissan Stagea estate, if I could swallow the fuel costs.
>>
Looks like a previous generation Accord estate on steroids!
 Finally got a car for Driving - helicopter
The Stagea I was looking at as a fun car was sold on ebay by my mechanic mate..... I decided it was a bit too expensive to have as a toy and a bit too old for me just to keep for the odd fun day out..

.....last seen loading on a trailer on its way to Poland....
>> .....last seen loading on a trailer on its way to Poland....
>>

My son sold his heavily modified and stunningly quick Scooby to a chap from Czechoslovakia (big cheese in the Scooby club there apparently) via ebay...who got his mate to drive him to collect and drove it home...some mate that, a straight honest cash deal all round.
 Finally got a car for Driving - corax
How much power did that have gb, because the five speed gearboxes aren't particularly strong, unless he had a six speed or strengthened gear set.
>> How much power did that have gb, because the five speed gearboxes aren't particularly strong,

Tell me about it, 5 speed, he ripped third gear apart completely twice, ended up with all sort of gearing during its stay, had the elogated 5th gear fitted but that had to go when the next rebuild was done and back to standard, IIRC it was running well over 300hp, frightened the blinking life outa me, never entered a shrap switchback at 50 and exited at 80 before.

To be honest i'm blooming glad its gone.

However find meself drawn to those 280 hp Sti Fossies that you and Dog have been drooling over.;)

ToMoCo, like that a lot...except those wheels standing proud of the tyres wouldn't last 5 minutes with my clumsy driving.
 Finally got a car for Driving - Dog
Drool, drool.

:}
>> Oh, EDIT. Pictures, please?
>>

tinyurl.com/ohtevmf

tinyurl.com/ojn4g2x

tinyurl.com/nn4svoj

tinyurl.com/qdryxd8

tinyurl.com/p8ojrb6
 Finally got a car for Driving - Alanovich
Thanks, ToMoCo!

Once again, woof woof.

Wouldn't arf mind one meself.
 Finally got a car for Driving - bathtub tom
You haven't scrubbed out the number plate on the second photo.
I'm not sure why I even bother scrubbing it at all, but I don't see what photo you mean?
 Finally got a car for Driving - bathtub tom
s1000.photobucket.com/user/Chris1JZ-GTE/media/soarfront2_zpsaee1d681.jpg.html?t=1381224359
 Finally got a car for Driving - Fenlander
I remember asking about a Soarer about 7yrs ago on HJ. A friend's garage took one in as P/ex against a van and I was tempted for a brief moment. It was dark met blue with grey leather and I recall it had some sort of factory fit TV/Satnav screen in the dash.

Are the tyres way under width for the wheels on yours ToMoCo?
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 10 Oct 13 at 09:26
>> Are the tyres way under width for the wheels on yours ToMoCo?
>>

Way under width? I don't know, 245's on a 10 inch wheel - I think the recommended is 255, so there is a stretch.

TBH, I will probably go for a smaller wheel with a higher profile tyre at some point.

Anyway, car MOT'd today, pass with no advisories. Considering the age, I'm delighted with that. Tester remarked that it looks like a 2 year old car underneath.
 Finally got a car for Driving - Manatee
19" wheel, not 10"?
Yeah a 19" x 10j
Managed to get hold of a mint set of original standard alloys that the car would have came out the factory with. Ride and handling vastly improved over the 19" rubber bands that were on the car when I bought it.

i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af130/Chris1JZ-GTE/standardwheels_zpsac57629b.jpg?t=1400401357
 Finally got a car for Driving - Runfer D'Hills
Has your dog just taken a slash on them?
lol, she is looking a little guilty.
 Finally got a car for Driving - Haywain
You sure that gravel's not sinking a bit???

;-)
 Finally got a car for Driving - Fenlander
Car looks loads better with those original alloys
>> Car looks loads better with those original alloys
>>

Thanks, I think so too. Most things look better OEM I think.

Next on my list is to get a twin exit stainless exhaust to replace the single cannon thats on it just now!
 Finally got a car for Driving - WillDeBeest
I like the dog better.
};---)
 Finally got a car for Driving - Bromptonaut
>> I like the dog better.
>> };---)

Not a dog person but I do have a soft spot for Collies.
>> I like the dog better.
>> };---)
>>

Much as I love my car, I can't argue with that :-)
>> Next on my list is to get a twin exit stainless exhaust to replace the
>> single cannon thats on it just now!
>>

Exhaust now done and getting closer to original, seriously considering getting rid of the 406 and just using this as my daily

i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af130/Chris1JZ-GTE/IMAG0281_zps05c7b61d.jpg
 Finally got a car for Driving - Lygonos
I really don't like what the Barry Boy community do to poor unsuspecting Japanese motors.

How anyone can think a giant fart-can looks better than those twin exhausts beggars belief!

I also wonder if the coupé market could have remained alive if some of these beasties had come West back when Ford were producing cack like the Cougar.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 10 Sep 14 at 14:10
Latest Forum Posts