Motoring Discussion > Green Flag Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FastTrev Replies: 23

Green Flag - FastTrev
I have been offered a much better deal with green flag than staying with RAC. Are green flag OK or do RAC have much better service?
 Green Flag - nice but dim
Hi Trev, not much help in your question but same scenario. I'm shifting from AA (even a gold member) this year to another provider as I'm fed up of having £130 renewals nudged down to £80. I'm fairly sure Co-op was doing my level of cover for £50.
 Green Flag - Pat
Same for us...we've been with Gem for 5 years now and it's crept up to £119 for this years renewal.

We've gone to AutoAid at £39.

Pat
 Green Flag - mikeyb
No idea if they are any good, but I've gone with www.rescuemycar.com

Hopefully wont find out about their service levels, but at twenty odd quid I thought it worth the risk - think I agreed to a £40 excess if needed.

Green Flag - Focusless
We're trying this lot, '2gether':
motorbreakdownrecovery.com/?gclid=CMDVyvarmboCFbDMtAodMTMAwQ#

Includes home start, no excess, good reviews, for £38.
www.reviewcentre.com/reviews241026.html
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 15 Oct 13 at 18:19
 Green Flag - R.P.
For the first time in my motoring career I ditched traditional recovery cover, Carole Nash looks after the bikes and Lloyds Bank look after the cars I drive. Used both (scooter puncture and an old CB650 I was riding that broke down) and they are excellent....
 Green Flag - jc2
Get a quote from Britannia Rescue-used them twice-both times under half an hour!
 Green Flag - FastTrev
I will have a look at these other companies but I don't really like the idea of paying and then claiming so might not go for something like AutoAid. Green flag are offering everything except European over for £60 but I will see what offers the other's have.
 Green Flag - R.P.
In practice they're all much of a muchness, they even use the same local contractors...
 Green Flag - Ted

Some of the Britannia staff who've retired have set up The Rescue Service based in Leeds.
Google 'em. They use the same agents as Britannia and Geen Flag, together with others.

Back to the footy, beer and crisps for the second half !

Ted
 Green Flag - bathtub tom
Another vote for Autoaid.

They recovered me a year ago. One hour wait and lifted back home (broken gearbox).

No problem reclaiming costs (we've all got a credit card - haven't we?).

The only snag was getting rid of the recovery driver after inviting him in for a cuppa. I suspect he was hankering after a tip - for recovering a twenty year old Kia Pride?
 Green Flag - Pat
That's reassuring to hear BT, we only decided to try them because it was such a big reduction on Gem's £119 renewal price, We rang Gem last year and they did knock a tenner off but I feel strongly that firms should favour a renewing customer with a better original quote, not rely on them to ring up and ask for one.

Pat
 Green Flag - VxFan
>> I have been offered a much better deal with green flag than staying with RAC.

My RAC renewal quote was nearly £110 this year. Phoned them up and asked why it had increased from the £75 that it had been for the past 2 years? Without even hesitating they offered it to me again for £75.

I presume you've phoned them to discuss your renewal quote?
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 15 Oct 13 at 21:19
 Green Flag - Oldgit
I seem, every year now, to have to phone around with every sort of Insurer when I get my renewal quotes through and each time I get a hefty reduction. It seems that they rely on regular customers just paying up rather than querying their increases. My last effort, yesterday, with Homeserve, resulted in a what had been ca a 30% increase being reduced to a 10% one.
Ethically, I find this annoying and friends of mine don't agree with it but hey, ho if they cannot be bothered to phone the supplier then it's up to them.
 Green Flag - helicopter
I have been with Gem for breakdown cover for many years and never used them.....

When I renewed my car insurance with LV I also got fully comprehensive insurance for my Accord and breakdown cover for SWMBO and myself with Brittania for £285 after a bit of negotiation.

Last year I paid LV £280 for the same insurance alone plus £80 to Gem for breakdown cover so that was a bit of a result...
 Green Flag - Baz
I just switched from Green Flag after they kept me waiting for nearly an hour in total to speak to someone. They wanted £130 for everything cover. I switched to GEM for £71 everything cover plus £15 back through Topcashback, makes it £56 for everything cover this year.
 Green Flag - FastTrev
They send an overprice quote and also renew automatically. For car insurance they say they do it because it is a legal requirment. Is it their job to make sure we are legal? What is the reason for automatically renewing breakdown cover?
 Green Flag - FastTrev
I haven't called them yet because I wanted to see whether green flag are any good. I will speak to them before I switch.
 Green Flag - FastTrev
I just gave them a call and for recovery plus (and onward travel) they quoted me £126 for 14 months. Green flag gave me an online quote of £60. The RAC guy said they only price match with AA and gave me some sales talk about green flag taking people to local garages and not to a garage of their choice when they are busy. My cover ends in a few weeks so I will keep looking at the other providers and the RAC might be a bit cheaper when I actually call to cancel.
 Green Flag - legacylad
I've been with Autoaid for a few years. Fortunately I have not required their services, but shall doubtless renew with them again next month.
 Green Flag - FastTrev
Since speaking with the RAC I have been looking at the terms and conditions for RAC and green flag. Because of the limits on onward travel I am thinking about something like AutoAid now.
 Green Flag - Marc4Six
I have been with AutoAid for few years, I have only used them once and they were very efficient. I broken down not far from home and was given a lift home, the car was then dropped at a garage of my choice. I paid by credit card and received their cheque before I had to pay the monthly credit card bill.
 Green Flag - Ted

What is the point of ' cashback ' except to lure in the gullible ?

I've had three calls this week from Swinton to re-insure my bikes with them at the end of the month. Last year they re-insured it automatically in spite of me telling them I wasn't putting it on the road 'til Spring and not to bother.

This year I decided to shop around and ended up trying to explain to the girl, who said I get a nice little £50 present in six months time. I tried to tell her in that case it was my money anyway...all I was doing was lrending her company £50 so they could invest it for 6 months together with everybody else's and return it to me without interest.

I couldn't make her see this and I think she thought I was stupid for not wanting the money.

These people seem to think I came up the Manchester Ship Canal in a wheely bin !

She put the phone down on me !

Ted
 Green Flag - No FM2R
>>What is the point of ' cashback ' except to lure in the gullible

I'm not sure, but I suspect that it is related to the fact that 100% of people would receive a discount, but less than 100% would apply for the cashback.

Presumably also it gains them a great deal more information about one of their customers.
Latest Forum Posts