Motoring Discussion > Lexus IS. Still a cracker Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 17

Lexus IS. Still a cracker - legacylad
9 years ago my ex asked my advice on buying a replacement vehicle. luxury is never wasted on her and a year old (03) Sport cross fitted her requirements exactly. A mid sized estate with all the nice touches...heated leccy seats, turbine smooth 2.0 6 cyl engine, nice sound system, sunroof etc. I have driven it a fair few miles recently and it is still a cracking car. Not a single rattle or squeak, everything works perfectly and it purrs along. Her work colleagues think her draft for running a thirsty 10yo car with high road tax.She in turn thinks them draft for replacing their 'biscuit tin' i20s, Meganes & Astras every 3 years.
financially its worth probably 2k in a private sale, I even offered her 2.5k, but she has no intention of selling in the foreseeable future. A cracking car all round, vastly underrated as a cheap second hand buy, and very practical. Only downsides are the load space is not flat and the engine has to be revved to get the performance. No bad thing as it is so smoooth
 Lexus IS. Still a cracker - -
Yes one of the best built cars of recent years, made to last, unfortunately falling into undeserving hands in saloon form gaining elastic band tyres blackened windows/lights and little in the way of maintenance, haven't laid eyes on a sport cross for a long time.

Rarely delivered a iS300, most noticeable for trying to stop it spinning the wheels, a very coy wolf in sheeps clothing, could easily live with one.
 Lexus IS. Still a cracker - Falkirk Bairn
Son's IS looks as good today as it was when bought at8mths old. No issues except a water pump and excess wear on inside of fronts. 9 yrs old but I cannot see them parting bar a bump or major. Component failure.
 Lexus IS. Still a cracker - BiggerBadderDave
Your ex-wife should be driving this Lexus

tinyurl.com/o5539tp

(The private plate, not the car)
 Lexus IS. Still a cracker - Dog
One owner + low mileage + fool Lexus s/h:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-51-LEXUS-IS-300-SPORTCROSS-AUTO-1-OWNER-FULL-LEXUS-HISTORY-ONLY-65K-/281183810070?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4177dc7216
 Lexus IS. Still a cracker - corax
A Sportcross IS300 was on my list when I bought a Forester instead. Auto box and having to rev the engine put me off slightly, but I'll reserve judgement because I never got as far as test driving one.

Lexus IS. Still a cracker - Dog
Lack of AWD would put me orf.
 Lexus IS. Still a cracker - Boxsterboy
With my mileage the fuel consumption would put me off.

Can't a BMW 330d Touring do all that the Lexus can do, and more?
 Lexus IS. Still a cracker - corax
>> Can't a BMW 330d Touring do all that the Lexus can do, and more?

If you're buying when the car's already oldish/high mileage like I do, I'd trust the Lexus more.
 Lexus IS. Still a cracker - Dutchie
I think I would regarding reliability buy the Lexus they look like they are build to last.
 Lexus IS. Still a cracker - madf
Watch out for HGs after a long period of no use.
 Lexus IS. Still a cracker - Dutchie
Hello madf,just off the subject I missed the beekeeping course for this winter.It was oversubscribed a shame. I was looking forward to it.Booked in for the course for next year in the summer lots to read up and to learn.
 Lexus IS. Still a cracker - DP
Nice car. Had one for a weekend some time ago. Lovely package let down by the engine which, for all its impressive smoothness, I found to be both gutless and thirsty.

Loved the "Swiss watch" dials, the Mark Levinson audio system and the general high standard of fit and finish.

Good looker too.
I totally agree with you DP,

You really have to rev it to get any performance out of the 2.0, and it seems thirstier than my 330Ci. If my generous offer of £2.5k had been accepted, it would have made a nice runabout, albeit with those faults.
 Lexus IS. Still a cracker - Armel Coussine
There's a rare thuggish-looking snorting-monster variant with a V8 I think. That's the one to get obviously.
Count me in. I have £2.5k burning a hole in my pocket.
 Lexus IS. Still a cracker - madf
>> Hello madf,just off the subject I missed the beekeeping course for this winter.It was oversubscribed
>> a shame. I was looking forward to it.Booked in for the course for next year
>> in the summer lots to read up and to learn.
>>

Hard luck...Try and find someone local with bees to give you some early hands on experience... (and a few stings as well:-)
 Lexus IS. Still a cracker - MD
>>Only downsides is the engine has to be revved to get the performance. No bad thing as it is so smoooth
>>
That might suit her indoors................the revving thing that is because when she leaves the house at whatever time in whatever conditions it is pedal to the metal and let's have a peek at the rev' limiter shall we........Oh! and my washer things need topping up.

Yes dear.........
Latest Forum Posts