Motoring Discussion > Out with the old and in with the new.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 21

Out with the old and in with the new.... - BobbyG
Well after 6 and a half years with the Altea, it was time for a change before the clutch needed replacing. So during a fit of "sod the economy, sod practicalities and get something you want, I ended up with this nice Hyundai ix35 :)

i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k485/Bobbyg69/Hamish%20the%20Hyundai/Alteaampix35together_zps8a1a93f9.jpg
And posted in the wrong forum as well....

Sorted
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 18 Oct 13 at 01:10
 Out with the old and in with the new.... - rtj70
So you've got the car you've wanted/needed for a while. When I've had Hyundai hire cars I've thought of them as good for the price. So a model like this will be good. I still like VAG but will have to consider alternatives when I order my next car :-) I like the Mazda6 but the interior feels a bit cheep. Octavia makes a lot of sense and a LEON FR184 is cheap.... plenty of time to decide.

The real outsider could be an Insignia.... would never love the car but with price cuts and reduced emissions could be a bargain for a company car. And I still prefer driving something Passat/Insignia sized.... subconsciously related to a previous car accident no doubt??
 Out with the old and in with the new.... - No FM2R
Nice looking car.
 Out with the old and in with the new.... - Zero
the one on the left looks better.

Out with the old and in with the new.... - Clk Sec
That plate must be worth a bob or two...
 Out with the old and in with the new.... - Runfer D'Hills
Nice one Bobby ! ( anyone tried to stop you and ask for a 99 yet? )

;-)
No 99s yet Humph, but was asked to give a blessing........
But Zero it was dirty now, surely that makes it time to change??
rtj70, strange you say that re hire cars, this car had always been top of my next car list and then in USA this summer they gave me one as a hire car for 1800 miles.
Obviously USA totally different to us, especially with driving, roads etc but really liked it as a result of those driving experiences.

You must take even longer choosing your next car than I do and I thought I was bad with my research!!! You got the spreadsheets made up yet with all the specs, colour coded etc......
no, me neither, ahem cough cough.......
 Out with the old and in with the new.... - corax
So what are the early impressions, compared with the Altea?
 Out with the old and in with the new.... - Falkirk Bairn
Where did you buy?
Is it 2nd owner /ex demo?
FB, Arnold motorstore, 2nd owner 10k miles.

Was a hire car which I had checked up on and it was on long term lease to the one company.
Got it for same price that Motorpoint were selling the 1.7 2WD version for with less toys.

The old trick of going in on the 28th of the month, test driving and saying if the cost to swap is x, I will sign now.
 Out with the old and in with the new.... - Boxsterboy
It will be interesting to see how the Hyundai compares to the Seat. A friend has a Kia Sportage (very similar under the skin) and I find the suspension a bit too hard for my liking.
Suspension definitely is harder Boxsterboy which I believe is something that has been softened out in the new version of the car which has just been released.
 Out with the old and in with the new.... - mikeyb
>> FB, Arnold motorstore, 2nd owner 10k miles.
>>
>> Was a hire car which I had checked up on and it was on long
>> term lease to the one company.
>> Got it for same price that Motorpoint were selling the 1.7 2WD version for with
>> less toys.
>>
>> The old trick of going in on the 28th of the month, test driving and
>> saying if the cost to swap is x, I will sign now.
>>

How did you establish it had only been on hire to one company?
Mikeyb, I went to one of the car hire offices and asked them - looked up their computer and told me that the company had been charged for a stone chip repair when it was handed back, which I could subsequently see when I examined the car.

The fact that it was a hire car itself didn't really concern me too much - I have previously twice bought ex hire cars and they gave no problems, I suppose I was only asking for some piece of mind in case something major had happened to it.
 Out with the old and in with the new.... - mikeyb
>> Mikeyb, I went to one of the car hire offices and asked them - looked
>> up their computer and told me that the company had been charged for a stone
>> chip repair when it was handed back, which I could subsequently see when I examined
>> the car.
>>
>> The fact that it was a hire car itself didn't really concern me too much
>> - I have previously twice bought ex hire cars and they gave no problems, I
>> suppose I was only asking for some piece of mind in case something major had
>> happened to it.
>>

I've no issue with a hire car either. Just never thought of asking the hire company its history. Nice to see that they were happy to share the history with you.
Corax, early impressions very different!

Poorer fuel economy
Much quieter
Higher Up
Lots more toys - heated seats, Bluetooth, full ipod control, twin sunroofs (oldgit will be proud of me - I had 3 Scenics with sunroofs and then the Altea didn't so I just wanted one again and the Hyundai is one of the few that have sunroof that opens as opposed to being a panoramic roof)
But Altea was 6 1/2 years old so seats less supportive etc was to be expected.

I really like it and although it has loads of lovely features there are some strange ones eg

Altea lights came on automatically if the wipers had wiped a certain number of times in a given time, no link between wipers and lights in this.
Altea lights came on automatically far too early in my opinion but these come on far too late (based on outside light levels)
Hyundai comes with a full size alloy wheel spare and tyre (might explain the poor fuel economy)
Altea wing mirrors folded in automatically when locking from key, Hyundai you need to press the fold button.

Overall delighted with the new car !!

And its the first car that I have ever had to download a zip file from the manufacturer site and plug the USB in to update the software on the media system.

But it was free and that's the way it should be (unlike the maps where an update costs £89 for the next 3 releases which although dearer that the like of Tomtom, is still cheaper than some other car based systems I have heard quoted)
 Out with the old and in with the new.... - corax
>> Hyundai comes with a full size alloy wheel spare and tyre (might explain the poor
>> fuel economy)

Is the Hyundai not heavier and with part time 4WD?

Surprised that it has a hard ride, or were you talking about your Altea. According to the reviews, Hyundai are seen as the more mature, soft riding manufacturer and Kia are the sportier set ups.
 Out with the old and in with the new.... - Runfer D'Hills
It's so the ice-cream doesn't slosh about.
Latest Forum Posts