Motoring Discussion > BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Seat Bolster
Thread Author: Pezzer Replies: 24

BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Seat Bolster - Pezzer
At long last and after much dithering I have finally changed my trusty 02 325 Touring (e46) for a 07 325i SE Coupe (e92).

Despite promising myself that I would only have sports seats on my next car the new one doesn't and has the standard cloth seats, which are actually far more comfortable than I expected.
However one issue probably related to the long door and sometimes having to squeeze in and out is that the driver's rhs seat bolster is starting to show some signs of wear. (I have seen this on the leather seats before but not on cloth).
I would like to halt this and as squeezing past is unlikely to stop wondered if anybody had any bright ideas about how to perhaps temporarily cover/protect a small area on the bolster (think of a five inch strip of Duct tape).

I dont think a seat cover would work as there is an airbag in the side of the seat.

Thanks in advance
P

BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Seat Bolster - VxFan
>> I dont think a seat cover would work as there is an airbag in the side of the seat.

You can get airbag friendly seat covers these days.
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Seat Bolster - No FM2R
A leather patch, not unlike those on the elbow of a jacket?
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Seat Bolster - Runfer D'Hills
Sit on a tea towel. If it ever became embarrassing, you could just sort of whip it out from under yourself like one of those magicians removing a tablecloth with disturbing the crockery.

;-)
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Seat Bolster - No FM2R
I've never heard them called crockery before!
I put a bin liner on my car seat when I've been mountain biking. If I'm especially muddy and it's a long drive home the bin liner occasionally adheres to my harris which isn't a particularly good look when you stop for a Costa on the way back...
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Seat Bolster - VxFan
>> I put a bin liner on my car seat when I've been mountain biking.

You have a car seat on your bike?
No, but I do have a bike rack on my car.
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Seat Bolster - Zero
>> >> I dont think a seat cover would work as there is an airbag in
>> the side of the seat.
>>
>> You can get airbag friendly seat covers these days.

yup, they come with an airbag warning sign on the side and a weak spot to allow the bag to rupture out.
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Seat Bolster - R.P.
Nice car - what do you think of that motor ?.....creamy silky etc. Mine has the half leather - not impressed with the seating in general the sports pack on the X1 was miles ahead......btw I really love creeping up behind unwary walkers on the lanes around here in mine....because it's so quiet ticking over and the rest of the world and his dog drives a clattery oil-burner that the tiniest blip of the throttle has them jumping...
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Seat Bolster - legacylad
A friend of mine has a P reg Audi. He had the same problem with the fabric on his seat bolster. He contacted a vehicle upholstery supplier, bought a small amount of matching fabric, then contacted a local 'one man band' car upholsterer whose normal modus operandi is to travel round dealerships. Took it round to his home, and 2 hours later the seat was just like new.
I would be happy to get the relevant details should you require.
Might be way beyond what you want to spend on solving the problem Pezzer but I guess it would be possible to get a new ( or newer ) seat/s from a scrappy or whatever ?
BMW interiors regularly appear on EBay. Guy I know got a full leather interior for a 1 series for a quid plus collection.
Did the owner of the vehicle know about that deal?

;-)
It was a local seller as it turns out - he'd replaced the interior on his own car with a similar but pricier buy as the driver's seat was sagging a bit.
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Seat Bolster - legacylad
For a pound? Wow.
Well - 99p and no reserve, all the door cards the lot
Certainly worth keeping an eye out, although there are so many sensors in the seats I would be slightly concerned I might open up another can of worms. My youngest son (13) must be right on the weight threshold and regularly sets off the airbag warning/de-activation.
Last edited by: Pezzer on Sat 19 Oct 13 at 23:32
Mine is the older 2.5, I suspect that you are talking about the the de-tuned 3.0. That said I am very happy with it - somewhat surprisingly it really encourages me to be a bit less lead footed and to waft around but when you do wind it up it has rather a nice howl with several sweet spots. Very quiet when it is off the cams and zero wind noise.

PS It is very pretty in metallic silver grey and the previous owner had upgraded it to silly 19in wheels but the SE suspension seems to combine quite nicely. I've turned into a 15 yo again and keep finding myself admiring it out of the window and I pretended not to be too pleased when a chap in the tyre place I go to walked up to me and said 'thats a really nice looking car '

:-)

Back on topic thanks for all the suggestions - if I can find a decent seat cover that doesn't look naff I would hope that this will prevent any further decline.
Last edited by: Pezzer on Sat 19 Oct 13 at 23:48
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Seat Bolster - -
Some 10 years ago i bought a colour matched (beige happens to match exactly) cut to seat shape sheepskin seat cover for the old MB, mainly to protect the SWMBO back side from the cold shock of the leather in winter morns before the seat heaters got going.

It still doesn't show the slightest wear, the seat is perfect underneath, and it doesn't move about being a proper fit.

This is where it came from, not cheap and not to be compared to accessory shop junk..
www.easirider.com/sheepskin_seatcovers.htm
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 20 Oct 13 at 05:59
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Seat Bolster - corax
>> www.easirider.com/sheepskin_seatcovers.htm

Can't help thinking of the pimp in Magnum Force when I see those covers GB :)

tinyurl.com/ozqrk5c
 BMW 3-Series E92 Coupe - Seat Bolster - -
>> Can't help thinking of the pimp in Magnum Force when I see those covers GB

Shot by David Soul wasn't he in the film or was it one of t'others.

Actually my pimp covers are more like ones Huggy Bear would have.

On a similar vein, my 70's Mustang Boss had real sexy number plates, presumably fitted by the previous owner Moses (yes really), bearing the legend ''beware fallen angel''.
Wish i still had it, nothing quite like a V8 fix through side pipes to wake 'em up.:-)
Yes - David Soul was a motorcycle cop turned vigilante.///
Just remembered something - someone in work burnt a hole in a pool car seat,, it got repaired by a smart repair chap....you really would have struggled to see it.
Latest Forum Posts