Motoring Discussion > Buying 2007 Ford Focus Buying / Selling
Thread Author: MJW1994 Replies: 16

Buying 2007 Ford Focus - MJW1994
Hi all,

One of my Aunts is looking to sell her 2007 Ford Focus since she wants to get one of the latest models. It is a 1.6 petrol with 50k miles, full Ford service record and very clean inside and out. No dents, scrapes, scratches etc. She has mentioned £3000, I have not checked the values but a quick look on Autotrader would suggest this is a good price.

Next August my younger brother will be 17, the family have been thinking about buying it for him to learn on. In the months in between it can sit in our garage, with me or parents occasionally using it to keep it all running. As soon as we can get him a licence then his very kind older brother does not have to taxi him around :-)

Are these cars a sensible buy to learn on, infact a sensible buy all round? Are there any particular problems to look out for? My car-mad mate will have a look over it sometime but he’s very busy at the moment. He said they were good cars but some have camchains others belts so he would need to have a look and see what it has and if a belt then when it’s due. He mentioned something about water collecting in the sparkplugs as well, apparently there was a modification he would need to check on.

Thanks for reading.
Matt
 Buying 2007 Ford Focus - Skip

>> Are these cars a sensible buy to learn on, infact a sensible buy all round?
>> Are there any particular problems to look out for? My car-mad mate will have a
>> look over it sometime but he’s very busy at the moment. He said they were
>> good cars but some have camchains others belts so he would need to have a
>> look and see what it has and if a belt then when it’s due. He
>> mentioned something about water collecting in the sparkplugs as well, apparently there was a modification
>> he would need to check on.
>>
>> Thanks for reading.
>> Matt

Sounds like a sensible buy Matt but I would imagine that insurance won't be cheap for a 17 year old.
 Buying 2007 Ford Focus - Runfer D'Hills
Jolly good cars. Nice easy drive too. As Skip says though I'd get some insurance quotes before commiting.

Bit of an example of the bonkers system though as why anyone would be more likely to crash a 1.6 Focus than a 1.2 Corsa I'm not entirely sure. I learned on a Volvo 244.
We are expecting £1500, hopefully won't be more. A Corsa would be dismal for him, like me he has always done lots of sport so he is fairly well built. I could never get comfortable for long periods in small cars and if I had the seat where I wanted it then there was very little legroom for the back passenger. Focus looks like being just about right.

I would have thought a Focus would be reasonable to insure, lots around, conventional design, cheap parts etc. Maybe insurance is more complicated than that!
Last edited by: MJW1994 on Wed 23 Oct 13 at 20:32
 Buying 2007 Ford Focus - Fenlander
Not many youngsters with their first policy can afford to insure a 1600 these days. If it is already insured by an older driver then the extra to add a learner may not be too bad.
 Buying 2007 Ford Focus - Baz
We have a 60 reg, and previously an 05 reg, both 1.6 petrols. They are a decent all round motor, good value and do the job just fine. The current one is a really pleasant place to be, quick enough in all conditions, comfortable and very decent to drive with super-smooth controls and yes, the handling is first class. Downsides are few, road noise can be intrusive on anything other than a super-smooth surface and it doesn't feel as solid as say a Toyota or even a Golf.
Mpg is around 40 average, 44 on a run.
Yes, you need to check the spark plug wells on the Mk2 for rusty rain water, which leaks in through the windscreen washer jets located on the bonnet. Early Mk2 models had no seal there and if left unchecked, it will cause expensive problems with siezed and rusted through plugs, misfiring etc. It was sorted around 2007 and ours is fine. It's an important check and if you find water there, I would be tempted to walk away.
 Buying 2007 Ford Focus - Videodoctor
My 17 year olds insurance on a 999cc engine was £2500 third party,fire and theft.

You can forget insuring a 1.6 for a 17 year old.It will be over £5000 easily.

Just for a laugh i entered my son to drive my 2.0 Mondeo at 17......£15,000 I kid you not!
I have just entered some details into a price comparison site and i have got back average prices of £3000 for a 17 year old.
 Buying 2007 Ford Focus - -
Should be a decent enough car, but its probably a bit ambitious in the insurance world for a first set of wheels.
 Buying 2007 Ford Focus - Fullchat
I agree that 1.6 is a bit ambitious for a new driver.

I have just taken delivery of a 1.25 Kia Picanto to replace the Ceed. The insurance policy taken out on the Ceed has been amended for the Picanto and expires in February. My two daughters have just hit 17 and it was just over £50 a month extra to put them on as additional drivers. That was with Aviva.
 Buying 2007 Ford Focus - hjd
My son's first car, at 17, in 2010, was a Seat Ibiza 1.2. After a year, he bought my old car from me, a 2003 Honda Civic 1.6, and the increase in annual premium was only £100.
 Buying 2007 Ford Focus - Meldrew
That's the way it works I guess. Get a year of claim free motoring done and things improve, a lot!
 Buying 2007 Ford Focus - Alanovich
A colleague recently bought a 1.4 Focus for his son to learn in, apparently the insurance was significantly cheaper than for a 1.6. Mind you, they live in Slough.
Thanks for these replies. This project has been killed off by the cost of insurance. I got the engine wrong as well, it’s a 1.8 which will make the insurance even worse!

Looks like older brother will be acting as taxi for a bit longer, I don’t mind though, I get compensated in other ways for example I have a credit card that goes to my parents account and they will often tell me to full my car up with diesel and paid for service and tyres so can’t complain.
"I get compensated in other ways for example I have a credit card that goes to my parents account and they will often tell me to full my car up with diesel and paid for service and tyres so can’t complain."

Do they want another son....i am available!!!
I am sure they would say that one of me is quite enough!
 Buying 2007 Ford Focus - legacylad
Have you thought of doing the IAM Skills for Life course?

I know a 17yo qualified driver who recently passed and it helped considerably with his insurance. My insurance has just been renewed, and whilst using price comparison sites two of them asked if you were an IAM member. I re insured with Adelaide, who informed me that they will always beat any genuine like for like quote.
£155.30 fully comp on the 330 so I'm not complaining.
Latest Forum Posts