Motoring Discussion > Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: PeterS Replies: 107

Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - PeterS
With the Merc having ticked over two years old, and the amount of money manufacturers are throwing at new cars, I'd idly been looking at possible options for its replacement some time next year. I really want a petrol this time, but I hadn't quite realised how few 6 cylinder + engines were available in mid sized cars. Sure they are available at the top of the ranges, but everything else is a turbocharged 4 cylinder. Even a BMW 528i is now a turbo'ed 4!!

It then occurred to me that I've never owned an 8 cylinder car, and bar the AMG Mercs that configuration is completely gone from 'normal' cars. We've had a 3 cylinder (the Up!), any number of 4 cylinder petrol and diesels, a 5 cylinder ( MB E270 diesel) and straight and 'V' 6 petrol and diesels. But nothing larger.

So, buoyed by my success with the eBay purchase of a 1994 Audi Cabriolet (V6 auto!!) for just over £500 I've just spent the same, sight unseen, on a 1996 Audi A8 4.2 Quattro.

preview.tinyurl.com/qcjzzgn

It's in Edinburgh. I'm on the south coast. Flybe from Southampton tomorrow morning gets me to Edinburgh just after 10. It's a 500 mile return journey that google maps reckons is 8 hours. What could possibly go wrong... :-)

Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Armel Coussine
Yee-hah! I am wimpishly envious. Well done, fingers crossed.

I hope it will be more or less perfect apart from its probable thirst.
I gather it's got a 90 litre tank, which I reckon is almost exactly 20 gallons. Do I risk brimming it before I leave on the assumption it will get me back without breaking down, or return in £30 hops so at least I don't leave a broken down crank the side of the M6 with £100 worth of petrol still in it!!

I'm an optimist, I'm sure it'll be fine... I have just transferred the breakdown cover from the Cabriolet though! Problem with getting there by air is I can't really take any tools with me (not that I'd know what to do with them, but I feel that I should have a can of fuel, some jump leads and a set of spanners with me!)
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - -
Sometimes i wish i was more impulsive, envy doesn't cover half it.

Best of luck, you deserve it.

Let us know how you get on.
Thanks - I'll have my iPad with me, so I can always post updates from the side of the road if necessary!! Otherwise I'll definitely update on my return...
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - legacylad
Exciting. Hope all goes well tomorrow. Beats the bejezus out of spending £10k on a new Fiesta.
I too have bought cars blind. the last one from Edinburgh.
Caught the train from Settle and drove home. Although I spent £950 on my purchase. And it was only a two litre.
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Zero
As an adventure, its peerless. Huge fun, worth 500 quid alone.

As a sensible purchase for long term (three months) you are a raving bleeding looney.

Always got time to admire loonies.
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - No FM2R
Brilliant idea. Little to lose, loads to gain, and fun to be had.

Can't be bad.
Thanks Z...I think!

It does have 4 wheel drive though, and is cheaper than a set of winter tyres ;-). Since it's aluminium I'm assuming it'll weigh-in for a decent amount when the MOT runs out :-)
Last edited by: PeterS on Fri 25 Oct 13 at 21:13
Do you mind me asking how much the insurance is?
I live in a rural area, garage my car, get extra IAM discount, have NCD and age on my side...an A8 wouldn't be practical for me, although an old S6 estate would!
Not at all. I'm 42 and the car will be parked off-road, but ungaraged. Privilege have charged £270 after mirroring 11 years NCB from the Up!, which is also insured with them. That for 5,000 miles a year (at 20mpg that a lot of unleaded...) SDP & commuting to work. Not bad at all I don't think - only £30 more than the cabriolet. The best bit is the cost of road tax - £225 I think since it's pre emissions charging :-)
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Runfer D'Hills
Fab Peter just fab ! May I suggest a route to honour its power?

Take the Edinburgh By-Pass to Hillend Ski slope ( think that'll be signposted "Biggar" ) but just after the ski centre bear left ( signposted "Peebles" probably ) Head past the Roslin institute ( where Dolly the sheep was cloned ) on your right until you come to a junction for Penicuik marked to your right. Head down there a bit but watch out for a left filter marked "Auchendinny". Dive down there, through the village and on through Howgate and eventually to Leadburn. Go straight over the crossroads at Leadburn ( watch out for chickens on the road at that point ! ) and head for Moffat on the A701. What follows is about 40 miles of what I consider to be about the best driving road in Britain. ( all the other traffic is on the busier more or less parallel A702 )

It sweeps you through the Scottish Borders on a switchback of fast bends, climbs and descents, good sightlines most of the way, minimal traffic and the added bonus of the "Devil's Beeftub" scenic point near the end. I think they spoilt it a bit by putting a camera or two on it now but they'll be signposted.

After Moffat you'll be joining the M74 south and eventually the M6 and M1 ( or M42 / M40 if you prefer ). Forget going down the East coast unless you don't mind traffic jams and what's more it means having to go through Yorkshire and no one should have to do that. !

Have fun !
Brilliant Runfer - I was going to head back down the west coast anyway, so will see if I can follow your route. The car is located virtually at the airport - the guy selling it is contracting there. No satnav in '96 so the old Garmin is on charge at the moment... Did I ever mention I was born in Yorkshire ;-).
Whoops ! ;-)

Ok then, see if you can get on the A701 ( I know someone, who did Leadburn to Moffat in a Westfield in 29 minutes )...

Can't remember his name offhand...

;-)

>> Ok then, see if you can get on the A701 ( I know someone, who
>> did Leadburn to Moffat in a Westfield in 29 minutes )...
>>
>> Can't remember his name offhand...
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Will aim for the A701 then! I'm pretty sure that a 1.7 tonne car will not cross country quicker than a Westfield, no matter how much more power it has and putting to one side the need to be a little circumspect in an unknown car of ageing years!! Bet it'll be quieter though, what with the double glazing... :-)
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Bromptonaut

>> Forget going down the East coast unless
>> you don't mind traffic jams and what's more it means having to go through Yorkshire
>> and no one should have to do that. !

Oy!!
>>
>> >> Forget going down the East coast unless
>> >> you don't mind traffic jams and what's more it means having to go through
>> Yorkshire

>> >> and no one should have to do that. !
>>
>> Oy!!
>>

I'm with you... Though perhaps his issue was with going through. I can see why you wouldn't want to do that. Drive in and stay must be what he meant!! Gods own country ;-)
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Roger.
>>
>> >> Forget going down the East coast unless
>> >> you don't mind traffic jams and what's more it means having to go through
>> Yorkshire

>> >> and no one should have to do that. !
>>
>> Oy!!
>>

Speaking as one who is 25% Yorkshire, I agree!
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - mikeyb
I'm gutted...........because you have had the balls to go out and get what I've always wobbled over getting, but never been brave enough to. No idea why really, because worse case is you lose 575 quid.

My only observation would be that the 110K is a little shy. These are very well built cars and that seat bolster has seen more action than those numbers suggest. My A3 has done double that and is only a little more worn.

I've also just looked for a cheeky weigh in value and www.motorwise.com will collect it while giving you £232

Right, I'm back off to ebay browse
Yes, I'm under no illusions that the mileage is probably moody, though in my experience leather interiors in 'modern' cars don't wear as well as cloth. The leather interior in my old '88 325i Touring was in a similar state to that in the A8, albeit after 140k miles. The blue cloth interior in the '94 Cabriolet is still virtually unmarked after 120k miles though!

The optimist in me blames the overweight plutocrat that spent £60k on an Audi in '96 for the seat wear ;-)

From what I can see from the pictures it does have Pirelli tyres at least, so hopefully an indication of not too much skimping on maintenance...
Last edited by: PeterS on Fri 25 Oct 13 at 21:45
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - BobbyG
He did tell you its got no side glass???
:-)
You know exactly what i'm going to say next, i'd run this for a few weeks, and in the meantime examining the thing fully inside and out.

Then if it looks like its got another 50k/5 years in it i'd be having a chat with my LPG man, and following a complete service regime and conversion smugly driving this fine luxobarge round for the running costs of a medium washing machine.
Not a bad shout GB, I'll certainly run it for a few weeks. If all else fails I reckon I'll be able to offload it to the local Eastern European contingent :-)
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Kevin
>It then occurred to me that I've never owned an 8 cylinder car,.. I've just spent the same, sight
>unseen, on a 1996 Audi A8 4.2 Quattro.

Big mistake. Huge mistake... Monumental mistake in fact.

You've opened Pandora's box and will never again be satisfied with 4's or 6's.

Just make sure the gearbox is OK.
Unfortunately, following recent surgery on the legs, I am not driving. If I were I could have driven the short distance up the A65 to J36 of the M6 and bought you lunch.
Have a safe drive
>> Unfortunately, following recent surgery on the legs, I am not driving. If I were I
>> could have driven the short distance up the A65 to J36 of the M6 and
>> bought you lunch.
>> Have a safe drive
>>

That's a very kind thought - much appreciated! Hope you're back to full strength soon. I can always give a blast of the horn when (if...) I get to J36 :-)
Thanks Kevin - I'm with you on both fronts! Still, we've spent far more on a weekend away before, and this involves a trip a abroad...almost :-)
The Esso garage just as you're leaving Moffat would be a good place to bung in some fuel at not motorway prices just before you hit the M74.
Thank you! I'm guessing 500 miles, including a run through the borders, could well result in multiple fuel stops even with a 90 litre tank...
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - bathtub tom
>>What could possibly go wrong... :-)

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4384703

I'm jealous about the wheels though.
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - rtj70
The route Runfer suggests is a good one - can get stuck behind slower traffic. And then use the fuel station at the roundabout before joining the M74. A good drive. Done it quite a few times including in winter time - and washer nozzles frozen en route despite having lots of washer fluid in concentrate due to wind chill. Not tried it in this car in such cold temperatures (-6 deg C and lower at times).
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Lygonos
Rather than going straight across at Leadburn as Runfer suggests, you could turn left towards Peebles, then at Peebles turn left towards Galashiels.

After 7 miles or so turn right in the middle of Walkerburn and pop past my 'cottage' for a cup of tea while I remark how I'd love a V8 but my turbo 4 does the business with a few more mpg.

And then I'd lament the lovely rumble of the V8 versus the smooth flat-4 Subaru burble.

Worth every penny even if it dies in the next 2-3 months.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sat 26 Oct 13 at 00:43
Thanks everyone - enroute to the airport now, so fingers crossed! Not a terribly auspicious start - it's already wet and very blustery, and I believe the plane is roughly the size of a MB estate ;-)
>>washer nozzles frozen en route despite having lots of washer fluid in concentrate due to wind chill

Wind chill only affects warm-bloodied animals, not inert objects. Perhaps your washer anti-freeze was alcohol based, the alcohol evaporates at the nozzles, leaving the water to freeze.
I never knew that bt. In which case I shall source washer anti freeze which is not alcohol based.
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - WillDeBeest
Don't bother, LL, because it's not true. Wind chill is caused by evaporation, so affects anything wet - with water, alcohol, whatever - so animal skin is only one example. It's measured with a wet bulb thermometer, which is not a warm-blooded animal.
Well, he's landed if he caught the flight he mentioned. Game on !
We need a map, and a gps tracker really

Popping in from time to time from servicing daughters car to check on progress...sent SWM up to the factors to get the few parts needed.

Everything crossed for our OP's impulsive (and biy am i impressed) journey, how many of us would love to have accompanied him.

Peter, trolley jacks and fair range of tool available at Kettering en route if needed, though somehow i think this is going to prove a decent motor.
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - DP
This is fantastic. Bet he wafts home with little drama.
Flight landed early :-). Picked up the car in an office car park on the airport site - nothing too dodgy... Currently at the first services on the M74 having lunch in a Scottish restaurant. McDonalds I think it's called ;-)

Problems to report so far are fairly limited. The thermostat is US as it's running cool (unless left idling) . Someone's removed the front centre armrest and it's floating around in the boot! The gearbox clonks slightly when changing into top when you come off the throttle - the Cabriolet does that as well. Other than that boringly reliable so far...

Picked up the A701 around 25 miles from the motorway, so must have missed one of Runfers direction - sorry! Scenery fantastic, and the autumnal colours look amazing too
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Skip
>> Problems to report so far are fairly limited. The thermostat is US as it's running
>> cool (unless left idling) .

That's not going to help the fuel consumption on the run back home !
No, that's true. Trip computer says 27.4mpg so far... Knock off 10% for Audis optimism and that's 25ish... £113 to fill it up at Morrisons near the airport. Still, the guy gave me £20 back as the fuel warning light had come on :-)
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - corax
>> £113 to fill it up at Morrisons near the airport.

Wow.

The guy who removed the armrest must have had long arms. I always remove them or flip them out of the way. Can't stand armrests on the left side, my elbow always hits them. Built like an ape.

I don't suppose you can hear the engine unless you really floor it :)
Now at Cherwell valley services, with two thirds of the petrol gone !!

No more faults identified - I did inflate the tyres at the last services - just as well, there was 10psi difference between the lowest and highest...

Cruises beautifully - cruise control fully functioning fortunately. Fuel consumption now sitting just under 26 mpg - as highlighted earlier running at around 65 degrees C won't be helping...

Time for coffee!!
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Skip
In days gone by you could have blocked off a third of the rad with a Shreddies carton to help bring the temperature up but this is probably not practical in this case as I expect you can't even see the radiator let alone get to it. Also I don't expect that you have a box of Shreddies with you !
Last edited by: Skip on Sat 26 Oct 13 at 18:00
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Mark
Assuming I have the model/year correct a new stat is less than a couple of pints

www.eurocarparts.com/car-thermostat

At least around here

As always

Mark
Well, back home around half an hour ago. Almost made it back on one tank, but chickened out at Hedge End (which is around 30 miles from home) when the range clicked down to 25!! At least I was able to do a proper brim-to-brim calculation on the fuel economy: 25.7mpg. Gulp. Averaged 62 mph though, but over 80% of the journey was dual carriageway or motorway and there were a few stretches of 50mph restrictions on the way which will have helped the economy no end. I imagine it'll struggle to break a true 20mpg just pottering around locally...

Total miles covered today 478, and running just as smoothly when I got home. A lovely woofle (is that a word) from the exhaust when I left it running on the drive (to check that the cooling fan would actually cut in!) and the usual tick tick tick of cooling exhaust. It's looking a little grubby on the outside now. Other faults found on the final leg are are an inoperative electric sunroof, though the electric seats, steering wheel adjustment (!) and rear sun blind all work fine. Fitted with a rather fine sounding stereo, though not an Audi unit. There is an Audi CD multichannel in the obit, but it's not connected.

A great car for cruising effortlessly along the motorway, and plenty of power of course. Only fitted with a 4 speed 'box, but the lack of gears isn't really that noticeable with the torque of the engine. I'm assuming (hoping...) that means it's more robust! Very sure footed on the road through the borders as well; it didn't feel it's size and I was fortunate enough to be able to follow what I assume was a local along it who was making reasonable progress. They certainly knew the road, which was great for me :-)

Time for a glass of wine!!
>> Assuming I have the model/year correct a new stat is less than a couple of
>> pints
>>
>> www.eurocarparts.com/car-thermostat
>>
>> At least around here
>>
>> As always
>>
>> Mark
>>

Thanks for that Mark. I wonder how easy it is to fit...DIYable d'you reckon?

Edit: Yes, you're right Skip - no shreddies box on board, and not much space under the bonnet either!
Last edited by: PeterS on Sat 26 Oct 13 at 20:42
Way hey ! Glad you're back safe with no significant problems. ( or should that be e by gum, ecky thump, I'll go 't foot of our stairs or something ? )

Is it er, em, "approved" on the domestic front? Or has it resulted in a dose of WTF is that you've bought now?!!!

;-)

>> Way hey ! Glad you're back safe with no significant problems. ( or should that
>> be e by gum, ecky thump, I'll go 't foot of our stairs or something
>> ? )
>>
>> Is it er, em, "approved" on the domestic front? Or has it resulted in a
>> dose of WTF is that you've bought now?!!!
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>>
>>

Fortunately whilst I was born in Yorkshire Runfer I spent my formative years in the Home Counties, so I speak properly ;-). Approval is a very broad word I think. There's definitely no disapproval; resignation perhaps? Anyway he volunteered to fly up there with me, so it can't be all bad? Indeed he ventured that he might use it sometimes, which worries me slightly as it is somewhat larger than an Up!, not to mention rather more powerful, and his track record with cars is, how shall I put it, chequered! Did I ever mention that he reversed an A3 into the house?

I'm not disappointed by the fuel economy, though I wasn't exactly stretching the car and I imagine that any prolonged use of the power, either in terms of acceleration or speed, would dent it significantly. The M6 toll wiped 2 mpg off the average to that point in the journey...
Heh heh ! Reversing that into a house would beg the question as to which would come off worse ! Might be a close run thing.

As for the M6 toll element, Midlifecrisis ( remember him? ) once admitted that he favours a bit of stealth lurking on the bridge near Norton Canes services ( I expect he and his compatriots don't like to be too far away from a handy doughnut opportunity ) so presumably he wasn't there today ! ( or it was dunking O'Clock )
Congratulations Peter, a very well earned glass tonight.

Hope the car gives you good service, and look forward to the any updates.

That mpg is only slightly below what my MB 3.2 24v of same year would give by the way, hence my LPG fetish.
I may be out of touch but given the size of the engine and the 4 wheel drive etc I'd have thought 26 mpg was pretty good? Fairly sure my pal who has a petrol E Class told me he gets 23 on a run. Another guy I know was only getting 28 from his diesel M Class.
>> I may be out of touch but given the size of the engine and the
>> 4 wheel drive etc I'd have thought 26 mpg was pretty good?

Aluminium body though - not as heavy as you might think.

Got me wondering what you would get out of the 2.8?
It weighs around 1,700Kgs I think, which isn't bad given the size of the car, engine and of course the 4WD drivetrain. I think it's less than my (and Runfers) Merc. It's also double glazed, which is a first for me in a car. Must add a bit of weight, but certainly means it's a quiet car. It does highlight another are where cars have moved on though - road noise. Despite the complete lack of wind noise at 70 ish there is still noticeable roar from the (Pirelli) tyres, and maybe the drive train.
Hello Peter

Not a lot on the net but this suggests you should be able to DIY it

www.ehow.com/how_6936845_do-2002-audi-4_2-thermostat_.html

I would say get the part and have a look to see how it all goes together.

Do you have idea about timing belt/chain history on the purchase?.

Regards

Mark
Last edited by: Mark on Sat 26 Oct 13 at 21:57
Actually quite a bit here with pictures too

www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/enginemechanical/A8timingbeltreplacement.pdf

Regards

Mark
Thanks a lot Mark - much appreciated. Will take a look!

As far as I can see the timing belt was last changed in 2007 at 74k miles. The service book has gone missing (!) but there is a sheaf of receipts from Aberdeen Audi and then Bavaria Auto Werke, also of Aberdeen up to 99k miles. I've only skimmed them so far. It was then serviced, and had all brake pads/discs as well as some suspension bushes replaced, in August this year at 107k miles. All MOT certificate bar one are present, so despite my doubts perhaps the mileage is genuine? First owner had it for 10 years (on a private plate), and it's been through 3 more keepers since then
Testament to a comment I made in another thread about cars generally being more reliable now.

The fact that you can pick up a 500 quid car sight unseen, jump in and drive 500 miles with no hassle shows that there are good buys to be had, and it falls in that 90's sweet spot.

I'm approaching 1K now in the A3 and the only problem so far is that it also runs cold so may be the same issue, but so far the brim to brim calculations tell me its doing around 37 so as mine was a pure bangernomics exercise I will leave alone for the time being

I think you're right Mike, though it seems perhaps thermostats are an Audi weakness. Our cabriolet suffered from a failed one as well, which I had replaced when the car went in for a pre MOT check shortly after purchase. I'm certainly an advocate of bangernomics, but the problem is I do like things to work properly. As a result I don't really adhere to the bangernomics principles very well - the cabriolet went to a main dealer for a service, which was very reasonably priced but, in the great scheme of things, not necessary.

Anyway, I identified a couple of more faults while waiting for the car to be cleaned. The electrically adjustable seatbelt height adjusters don't work - I can hear a motor on the drivers side, but no movement, and on the passenger side the switch is broken. The folding mirrors will retract themselves perfectly, but when unfolded the passenger one unwinds about 150 degrees rather then the 90 required! First world problems... On the plus side the electrically adjustable headrests work fine ;-)

Outside the bodywork is in remarkably good condition - a few scuffs and scrapes, but no dents. The tyres have only got a few thousand more miles life in them. The alloys are in good condition, though one of the centre covers has lost its logo. I'm not quite sure where the locking wheel nut is though...
Last edited by: PeterS on Sun 27 Oct 13 at 14:01
None of my business of course, but if it was me I'd be inclined to try moving it on fairly much straightaway ( or as soon as the V5 arrives anyway ) with a view to a small profit. Never know, 4 wheel drive + winter approaching, bit of spit and polish...
The thought had occurred to me - whilst it's a lovely thing I'm fairly sure it's capable of throwing up some ruinous bills, and it'd be a shame to be the one that actually scrapped it...
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - madf
Early auto boxes need oil changes or bang!

That will be £5k sir plus labour..
Well, in my world, everything is for sale at all times if there's a buck to be made ! Can't see any harm in putting it up, the best part is you don't have to take less than you want. That way, if it did move and you made a couple of quid, it has been a self-funding adventure. If it doesn't sell, then no harm done sort of thing.

Other thought which occurred was a banger rally. You know the sort of thing where mad people drive old cars to Africa for charity and so on...
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 27 Oct 13 at 14:37
Ye Gods, 'bout time we had a memorial service for Betsy, another loyal and faithful cast aside uncared unwanted unloved alone bereft neglected the second a shiny temptress came by...now who was it who unceremoniously dumped Betsy, does anyone recall..:-)

So far the Audi sounds OK to me, agree with Madf if its to be kept then that geabox oil needs changing unless confirmed done in its history.

The electrical stuff so far failed isn't worth worrying about, i'm in the examine it closely and run it for a while and enjoy it camp.

Like Peter i tend to like older cars, but not bangernomics running, i want everything to work and work as well as the day the car was madel, so avoid cars fitted with electrical faff, they always pack up eventually.
Tee hee ! Y'know the banger rally thing came to me the other day and if I had kept the Mondeo that would have seemed a fitting end to its career by now. I reckon it'd have made it to somewhere or anywhere if asked...
Well, while hiding inside from the threatened hurricane ;-) I've had time to take a look through the sheaf of invoices. It's been serviced as follows (first registered 1/1/96):

11/96 @ 5,422 miles. Hadwins VW
11/97 @ 11,926 miles. Hadwins VW
12/98 @ 17,016 miles. Hadwins Audi
12/99 @ 21,787 miles. Hadwins Audi
12/01 @ 29,081 miles. Hadwins Audi (seems to have missed a year here?)
12/03 @ 35,470 miles. Hadwins Audi (another 2 year interval...)
12/04 @ 38,832 miles. non franchised garage
12/05 @ 52,381 miles. non franchised garage - replacement pads and discs
04/06 @ 60,050 miles. non franchised garage. plus a lot of suspension work!
03/07 @ 71,048 miles. non franchised garage
12/07 @ 73,456 miles. non franchised garage. plus new timing belt
09/08 @ 81,576 miles. Aberdeen Audi. plus new sunroof motor (@ £800 odd!)
09/08 @ 81,719 miles. non franchised garage - no service but more suspension stuff and replacement brakes. Presumably Audi a bit pricey...
02/09 @ 85,838 miles. non franchised garage - no service but diff seals and fluid replaced
12/09 @ 91,360 miles. non franchised garage service only
02/10 @ 93,768 miles. Aberdeen Audi - no service but yet more suspension work
05/10 @ 95,784 miles. non franchised garage. service plus exhaust
11/10 @ 97,787 miles. Aberdeen Audi - no service but A/C replaced and even more suspension work
01/11 @ 99,582 miles. non franchised garage - including wheel bearing replacement
08/13 @ 107,199 miles. non franchised dealer - including pads/discs all round

So no mention of changing the gearbox oil as far as I an tell (unless its included in one of the services, which seems unlikely...)

But, while not complete, it seems like a reasonably comprehensive service record and, more importantly, seems to suggest that the mileage is genuine? Oh, and that its quite heavy on its suspension!!
and post clean at Homebase here are a few pictures:

tinyurl.com/ohoqkba

As with all silver cars, the pictures hide a multitude of small scuffs and scratches. I'm also not sure I'd have chosen a beige leather interior to go with the silver, but still...

Looks a nice lot of motor for not much money!
The pictures do flatter it Roger, but for £530 its churlish to complain!!
That is a ridiculous amount of car for no money at all. Hats off to you, sir.

Give her a fluid change (including autobox) and just drive her. I bet she will run for years. Silly things like the seatbelt height adjuster can probably be fixed cheaply with DIY investigation and either repairs or secondhand parts off eBay or similar. I'd be tempted to write myself a tinker list, and just work through it during free time, or make a list of bits and set yourself up some saved searches on eBay,buying bargains as they crop up. On that note, I'd add an original stereo unit to my search as well.

Looks like an absolute bargain to me, and should be a joy to potter about with and get how you want it. I reckon you won't need to spend a fortune if you're careful about it, either.
Last edited by: DP on Sun 27 Oct 13 at 16:00
I located a radio/CD changer for my 02 Jazz using www.carsparefinder.co.uk who canvass their list of breakers on your behalf
One note of caution - if you receive an offer of the part, contact the breaker direct as the contact number given in the notifying email is an 0870 @10p per minute
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - madf
A very nice carriage for gentlepersons of money and taste who have fallen on hard times.
Last edited by: madf on Sun 27 Oct 13 at 16:40
Looks like the guy that sold it to you took a bath on it if this is the car

www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1323278.

That aside the Pdf I linked for you shows the thermostat to be reletively straightforward it seems to live on top of the timing belt cover. The pdf shows how to do all the belts but half way down just before reassembly starts there is the stat and it seems easy enough.

With a history like that I would keep it and maybe get the autobox fluid changed in a month or so if thye fuel economy improves post stat. My local VW indi does autobox services for £170.

As always

Mark
Yes, that's the one - I've got the receipt in the folder he gave me. £700 plus £123.50 for 6 months tax in August, followed by an bill for £750 for the service and brake pads/discs. He's also sorted the leak and had the whole car valeted. He's a chap after my own heart -wants things to work properly, but a change in circumstances meant he could no longer keep the car because he had nowhere to park it. He picked us up from the airport in a beautiful W124 Merc - absolutely immaculate!
I miss Edinburgh.

( Slurp )

;-)
>> I miss Edinburgh.
>>
>> ( Slurp )
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Nice city, and stunning scenery. The guy I bought the car from was fantastic too...

...though he was from the Gatwick area I think; certainly that's where he used to work :-)
I've just checked the receipt from cabriolet when I had it serviced - they charged £191 + VAT for the gearbox oil change, gasket and ATF oil, so £230 or so. A healthy saving from an indi - must see if there's on locally...

...there I go, getting carried away with doing things properly again!! The sensible thing to do is either sell, or run it 'til it breaks...but...
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Lygonos
£230 ? That's about 40% of the way to buying your next one ;-)
Are you going to keep the Merc a while Peter? We could have changed mine earlier this month but decided to keep it for a bit longer. ( ok it's a company car but I'm complicit in those sorts of decisions ) I'm really happy with it for now.
I'll certainly keep it for a while longer I think; I was halfheartedly looking around with a view to changing to at some stage next year, but to be honest there's no need. It's been faultless to date and is just the right combination of speed/economy/ride/handling/comfort/space for us. Problem is I get bored and fancy a change, but now I realise I can address that by spending £500 every now and again on an old banger I think I'll actually save money in the long run!!
IIRC the box in these is described by Audi as sealed for life so they don't get a fluid change unless someone goes out of their way to do it.

I'd try an autobox specialist and ask if they think an oil change would smooth it out. I've heard a few people have fluid changes and state that its like a different beast afterwards
Thanks Mike - that's not a bad shout either. The only problem I've identified is that sometimes when you come off the throttle after briskish acceleration it'll change up to top with a bit of a thud. The rest of the time the changes are creamy smooth. Interestingly Parkers (which reckons it'll average 21mpg) say it has a 5 speed 'box. I'm sure mine (an early one, the car was launched mid '95 I think) only has 4. The selector is marked PRND32, and if you slip it into 'tiptronic' mode the dash display only shows 4321 with the selected gear highlighted.
>> Thanks Mike - that's not a bad shout either. The only problem I've identified is
>> that sometimes when you come off the throttle after briskish acceleration it'll change up to
>> top with a bit of a thud. The rest of the time the changes are
>> creamy smooth. Interestingly Parkers (which reckons it'll average 21mpg) say it has a 5 speed
>> 'box. I'm sure mine (an early one, the car was launched mid '95 I think)
>> only has 4. The selector is marked PRND32, and if you slip it into 'tiptronic'
>> mode the dash display only shows 4321 with the selected gear highlighted.

Add that to the list.

Gear 5 led blown.
A mate of mine runs a 535d with a sealed for life ZF 6 speed auto. Had a fluid change done at a local auto transmission specialist at 100k and it made a huge difference to change smoothness, speed and general response of the 'box. Well worth the money.
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Kevin
>..it'll change up to top with a bit of a thud.

Peter,

Is the gearbox thud only when you boot it up to about 50mph and then back-off on a downhill slope?

If so then I don't think you have anything to worry about although a fluid and filter change is good insurance.

The X308 Jag I had with the 5 speed ZF would do that. Only on a downhill though.
Last edited by: Kevin on Sun 27 Oct 13 at 22:07
Thanks Kevin, yes, that pretty much describes it, though with 300bhp I'm not really booting it - it's just when i accelerate and then back off the throttle quickly. Even then it's not every time. Now you mention it I think that it might well be on downhill stretches - will have to investigate further!!
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Auntie Lockbrakes
I'll be curious to hear how much you are quoted for a cambelt change?! I'm facing a 900 quid main dealer quote for my 2005 A4 V6...

Aside, I've seen a reasonably priced 2008 A5 2.7TDI for sale - but my cambelt alarm bells are ringing on this one too! A beast of a job on this engine I think I read?
From what I can see in the handbook Nick the replacement interval for the toothed belt is 120,000KMs / 80,000 miles. There's no time criteria listed, so in theory it's not needed for a while. I don't plan on spending that much money on it, and while the documents that Mark very helpfully found show that the thermostat should be straightforward to DIY I don't intend my first DIY cambelt change to be on a V8 engine...there's brave and then there's foolish, especially with my DIY abilities!!
Another problem...also electrical. This mornings frost highlighted that, while the heated seats are working perfectly (front and rear - I checked!), the heated rear window and mirrors are not. The fact that the window and both mirrors are u/s makes me think perhaps it's a fuse? Haven't had a chance to check yet, but will see if I can find the fuse box later. On the positive side the faulty thermostat doesn't seem to affect the efficiency of the heater - toasty warm inside in just a few minutes :-)

>> fact that the window and both mirrors are u/s makes me think perhaps it's a
>> fuse?

A good bet

>>. On the positive side the faulty thermostat doesn't seem to affect
>> the efficiency of the heater - toasty warm inside in just a few minutes :-)

Well it would, if the stat is stuck open the heater is working exactly like the radiator - as soon as the car is started.
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Mike H
Haven't been around for a few days due to travelling and just seen this thread. According to the German TÜV (vehicle inspectorate that runs the MOT systems), the A8 stands out for having fewest faults in roadworthiness areas such as suspension, lights, brakes etc. developing as it ages. Your A8 sounds like a good buy!
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Alanovich
Just catching up on this too. Epic stuff Peter, well played.

When Phaetons get to about £500.................
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - henry k
>> When Phaetons get to about £500.................
>>
I assume a W12 but a four or five seat version?
Choices, choices :-)
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - No FM2R
I had a Phaeton and adored it. Without doubt the best car I have ever owned. Not one single thing I didn't like about it. Loved it, loved it.

But, whatever you pay for it, you'd have to be out of your mind to own one out of warranty. They are sooooo expensive to have work done on.
>> Haven't been around for a few days due to travelling and just seen this thread.
>> According to the German TÜV (vehicle inspectorate that runs the MOT systems), the A8 stands
>> out for having fewest faults in roadworthiness areas such as suspension, lights, brakes etc. developing
>> as it ages. Your A8 sounds like a good buy!
>>

Well that's encouraging Mike! Makes my decision as to what to do with it harder though...
If anyone else is feeling brave... ;-)

preview.tinyurl.com/q3fn7su

I think the claim in the description that it'll do 35mpg 'while cruising in comfort' is wildly optimistic though!! Whoever took the pictures must have struggled to get the OBC to say 27mpg IMO...

I'm possibly surprised that it's "only" 300 bhp. I mean, I do know 300 bhp is "a lot" but it doesn't somehow seem a lot for a 4.2 litre V8 petrol.

Your ( and my ) 2.1 litre diesel 4 cylinder is 200 bhp for example. Maybe it's just that technology has allowed that in recent times.
I know what you mean Runfer - twice the cubic capacity (and cylinders) and 'only' 50% more power. It is 16 years older though, and not a turbo to be seen!

I guess it's the turbo that makes the difference. I'm not sure what the torque figures for the two are, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're fairly similar. One of the attractions of diesel I guess - in day to day driving the torque/power is immediately available, the same as a large capacity petrol. They don't sound quite as good though.

Mind you, the courtesy car I had today was a brand new C180, which I think is a 1.6 litre turbo engine. It actually really suited the car - dare I say it more refined than the diesel in the 'E'. Certainly the engine combined with the 7 speed auto was a well matched combination, and never once felt too slow... Averaged 37mpg per the trip computer, where mine does 43ish, albeit it in a smaller car. Reaffirmed my decision to go petrol next time. Maybe even an E300 hybrid...lightly used to avoid the initial depreciation. Maybe this time next year!!
>> If anyone else is feeling brave... ;-)
>> preview.tinyurl.com/q3fn7su

Could be useful as a cheap source of spares?

;>)
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Mapmaker
Just found this thread and read it from one end to the other waiting to find out what happened.

I had a 2.3 A6 for a couple of years. Best £700 (?ish) I've ever spent. I'm sure I never managed much more than 25mpg. Nice motor that; yours looks likewise.
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - Auntie Lockbrakes
Consider exporting it to NZ! The equivalent car over here is on the market for 3 grand GBP!!!

tinyurl.com/njwcz5n

Petrol here is down to around GBP 1.10/litre though...
I've now discovered a couple of other things about the A8. The first is that it doesn't have a lights on warning buzzer... As a result when I left the lights on yesterday after driving to work I came out to a completely flat battery :-(

The second is that it's quite good at wading...

The reason that I've been using it to go to work over the last week or so is because of the amount of flooding on the smaller roads round here. The week before last I had to make a site visit, which involved around a mile of 'lane' which is really just a farm drive, followed by half a mile or so of farm track. I was in the Merc. However the lane was flooded - a quick explore on foot (in Wellington boots) have me the confidence to drive through it, even though it was around 200m across. Into first and I trundled through no problems. It did set of the front parking sensors however...

Because I needed to go back the following week, and as it had been raining pretty heavily, I though I'd better go in the A8. The flood had spread by another 50m or so, but since I'd managed alright in a low slung Merc I though an old school car with high suspension would be fine, so again down into first and started to drive through. I have to say that 50m had meant it had got quite a lot deeper... You know that feeling when you realise you probably shouldn't have done something? I got that feeling around a third of the way in, but theres no where to turnaround so I had to keep going really. I got very nervous when the water started splashing up over the front of the bonnet (just splashes I think; I'm fairly sure the water wasn't that deep!) but made it through, to the surprise of the farmer in the Toyota truck at the other side, who'd stopped because he thought it was a bit deep!

So I now have an A8 with a nice clean underside (bar the bits of grass hanging off), but there are a few weeds trapped pretty high up the radiator...

I won't be trying it again :-)
 Audi A8 - Impulsive, reckless, or recklessly impulsive? - helicopter
Peter - I strongly suggest that you get the engine checked out ..... quickly .

If the weeds on the radiator were higher than the air intake then you are probably going to have trouble...

I had exactly the same situation a couple of years ago in flooding in Northumberland and noticed a few weeds etc on the radiator , thought I had got away with it and two days later the engine went bang.... some of the weeds and rubbish had got into the air intake ..... resulting in a very nice top of the range Honda Accord Tourer being written off...

I am now VERY cautious approaching any flood water at all...

Last edited by: helicopter on Mon 13 Jan 14 at 11:03
I think it's just where it splashed up - the car itself seems to be fine. But I'll take a look - So far I've done another 100 miles or so since then and it feels as smooth as ever! No untoward effects have become obvious...yet!! Thanks for the heads-up
Latest Forum Posts