Motoring Discussion > Silicon? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 17

Silicon? - Duncan
I have been advised to spray the tops of my car doors and under the rubbers with silicon.

Should have asked the question at the time, perhaps, but silicon what?

Edit. Something like this? Link to Halfords:

tinyurl.com/oxga2lr
Last edited by: Duncan on Sun 27 Oct 13 at 06:23
 Silicon? - Skip
I spray the door rubbers with a silicone dash type spray before the winter to stop them sticking to the body work if it freezes. Is this what you are wanting to prevent ?
 Silicon? - Old Navy
My frequently used powered sectional garage door has a rubber seal which starts to squeak every three months or so, easily fixed with silicon spray.
 Silicon? - Duncan
>> I spray the door rubbers with a silicone dash type spray before the winter to
>> stop them sticking to the body work if it freezes. Is this what you are
>> wanting to prevent ?
>>

1. To lubricate the door rubbers to prevent them sticking.

2. To make a less rust friendly home behind the rubbers.
 Silicone - WillDeBeest
Chaps, I know some will cry 'pedant' but silicon and silicone are two very different substances (silicones actually a whole family of them) and it really does matter which you choose. BBC presenters, including the execrable John Humphrys, regularly get this wrong, but we can do better here, can't we?
}:---)
 Silicone - bathtub tom
I think it plays havoc with the paint if it ever needs a respray. I put a little plumber's, silicone grease on a rag and wipe that over my door rubbers to stop them freezing.
 Silicone - Duncan
>> I think it plays havoc with the paint if it ever needs a respray. I
>> put a little plumber's, silicone grease on a rag and wipe that over my door
>> rubbers to stop them freezing.
>>

What? Stuff like this?

tinyurl.com/mjo674z
 Silicone - bathtub tom
>>What? Stuff like this?
tinyurl.com/mjo674z

That's the stuff, although I recall paying much less for it.
 Silicone - Duncan
>> >>What? Stuff like this?
>> tinyurl.com/mjo674z
>>
>> That's the stuff, although I recall paying much less for it.
>>

From where did you purchase said stuff?
 Silicone - Manatee
>> Chaps, I know some will cry 'pedant'

Since when has being right instead of wrong been pedantry?

Appearing to care about these things gets a bad rap here.

I class those who say spelling doesn't matter with people who take a pride in being useless at sums. Lazy thinkers who go on to mock people who try a bit harder. Idle sods with no consideration for the reader.

Silicone oil spray (via a rag to avoid overspray) or silicone grease are ideal for rubber seals. The grease in particular is very water repellent as well as preserving the seals and preventing stick. Much used by shed draggers on their window rubbers.
 Silicone - Zero

>> Since when has being right instead of wrong been pedantry?
>>
>> Appearing to care about these things gets a bad rap here.
>>
>> I class those who say spelling doesn't matter with people who take a pride in
>> being useless at sums. Lazy thinkers who go on to mock people who try a
>> bit harder. Idle sods with no consideration for the reader.

Kind of thinking I would attribute to a jumped over inflated p rick

good job no one said it
 Silicone - Manatee
Good thing I didn't say it, you wouldn't have been able to let it pass had the cap been the right size.
 Silicone - Oldgit
Use Einzett's Gummi Plege as this is preferable and is Silicone free. Do a Google search. Currently I believe you can get two for the price of one.
Chemically, Silicon or elemental Silicon is just that. Chemical Polydimethylsiloxanes are compounds derived from Silicon and contain Si-O-Si units in the backbone with -OH and -CH3 groups as well - these are your Silicone compounds.
 Silicone - Roger.
Just bought one on eBay - thanks for the tip!
 Silicone - Dutchie
We used to make the liquid sillicone from 2 Ethylhexanol, we had regular shipments in.
 Silicone - VxFan
Dog posted a link in the bargains thread the other day.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=13875&m=346790&v=e

Silicone - henry k
I use

www.tableauproducts.com/categories/dry-lube/4

" Using this silicon lubricant rather than a conventional oil means that you can lubricate without staining. Dry Lube is stainless and grease free. "
 Silicone - Oldgit
>> I use
>>
>> www.tableauproducts.com/categories/dry-lube/4
>>
>> " Using this silicon lubricant rather than a conventional oil means that you can lubricate
>> without staining. Dry Lube is stainless and grease free. "
>>

A lot of smoke and mirrors there. The words 'dry', 'grease free' and 'stainless' etc. The only dry Aerosol I ever came across in my 37+ years as a chemist was an expensive 'dry' PTFE spray.
Latest Forum Posts