Motoring Discussion > Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick?
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 20

Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - Crankcase
It's no secret that am a bit of a Lexus fan, but even I wouldn't say they were ever blessed as things of beauty.

They must have realised they have the perception of being bland, and decided to come up with this. What do we think? Instant love or instant mashed potato?

Ps I hate it.

www.autocarfashion.com/lexus-nf-nx-concept-head-to-frankfurt/
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - Old Navy
The designer must be an origami expert.
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - WillDeBeest
Oh dear. It looks like that Mazda SUV thing (CX5?) with some unnecessary excrescences. Lexus has never done pretty, or even passable really. The original LS imitated the poise of its S-class contemporary, but the GS, IS and especially RX have all been munters.

Infiniti - scarcely relevant in the UK, of course - does no better. The M35H featured in this weekend's Guardian is an awful mess of curves and bulges.

Perhaps the Germans are to blame. MB and, to a lesser extent, BMW, have been doing their best to lose the styling plot in the last ten years, leaving Lexus with nothing to imitate.
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - borasport
>> Oh dear. It looks like that Mazda SUV thing (CX5?) with some unnecessary excrescences. Lexus
>> has never done pretty, or even passable really. The original LS imitated the poise of
>> its S-class contemporary, but the GS, IS and especially RX have all been munters.
>>
The LS said 'I want to look like a merc' and everything after that said 'you wanna look somewhere else, mate'....
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - Roger.
>> The designer must be an origami expert.
Orgasm expert, more like!
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - Zero
Underneath all the dark batman style aggression, is actually a very good basic shape ( you get some idea from the side view )

It will never survive customer clinics the way it is, you'll never see it on the road like that.
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - henry k
>> It will never survive customer clinics the way it is, you'll never see it on the road like that.
>>
I can think of a few IMO that escaped the clinics.

The clever clogs in marketing do not always get it right.
One of the clinics I went to, we told them they were off their rocker and stop messing about.
They ignored us and repainted a 747 and then repainted it back to the original.
No not British Airways that is a massive tail of woe.
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - Kevin
>They ignored us and repainted a 747 and then repainted it back to the original.

Prog on Discovery Channel a couple of weeks ago followed a repaint of, I think, a 777.

Paint strip, wash down and repaint was $250k plus the cost of 5 unproductive days.
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - Armel Coussine
>> It will never survive customer clinics the way it is, you'll never see it on the road like that.

My very thought.
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - Mike H
The Nissan Joke's less pretty sister?
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - Badwolf
Fugly is the kindest thing I can think of to say.
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - Alanovich
Looks like something out of a graphic novel (comic). Car design does seem to be heading that way generally, sadly.
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - Runfer D'Hills
Odd isn't it how we ( and I'm not claiming to be any different by the way ) are mostly more concerned with how a car looks from the outside than how it looks and feels on the inside which is where we usually are when using it.
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - Robin O'Reliant
>> Odd isn't it how we ( and I'm not claiming to be any different by
>> the way ) are mostly more concerned with how a car looks from the outside
>> than how it looks and feels on the inside which is where we usually are
>> when using it.
>>

Very true Runfer, but there's something very pleasing about walking towards a pretty and elegant looking car rather than an ugly slab.

Now I've not done any real research into this, but a quick think back over the years makes me think that rather like clothing fashion and skirt length, the styling of both cars and motorcycles seems dependant on the prevailing economic climate. They are always more aesthetically pleasing during times of prosperity than in recessions when everything seems to be made to look overbearing and ugly.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Tue 5 Nov 13 at 11:50
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - WillDeBeest
I think we'll need some examples to support that assertion, RR. Even if you have some - today's ugly MBs, perhaps - the time taken to bring a new design to market means that what comes out in one climate may have been designed in an entirely different one. And, since car models stay in production for much longer than skirts, there's plenty of time for the climate to change while it's out there.

What is depressing is the gloomy preponderance of grey (which includes silver and me-too black) on the roads today. A return to colourful cars is long overdue.
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - Runfer D'Hills
Can't speak with any authority on the car industry but there is definitely strong evidence to suggest that people ( well, to be clear, those who choose to try to remain within what might be loosely described as established society ) are far less inclined to take risks with their personal appearance in times of economic difficulty.

For example, if the workplace you inhabit has a formal dress convention and you turn up casually attired, you're going to feel more confident of breaking from the norm if you're making a lot of money for your employer than if you're not.

Generally speaking though, people like, and indeed are comforted by "mirroring" their group. It's a sort of pack mentality thing. Perfectly natural. It's a statement of "club" or "tribe" membership which reassures the individual and the group.

It's fundamental to the continued success of brands too. Peer presure is a strong influence on many, like it or not.

Some people are fortunate enough to feel confident from an early age to present themselves purely as they personally see fit, but for many it takes advancing years and indeed a certain security in their own identity and worth before that becomes a comfortable place. Even then, those who stray too far from the conventions of a group will be mistrusted by it as valid members of it.
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - Mapmaker
>> Very true Runfer, but there's something very pleasing about walking towards a pretty and elegant
>> looking car rather than an ugly slab.

So true. Never had a car that has made me smile when walking to it, other than the Mercedes I had. Looked a bit like this, except it was less than one twentieth the price of it... forsale.evo.co.uk/car/52018e40b600c1dc7ad0ffe0#.Unjitfl7KeE

And my current Honda Accord, which I think is ugly as hell from the back just doesn't give me the same feeling; for all that I only look out through the front at the road ahead.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Tue 5 Nov 13 at 12:23
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - BiggerBadderDave
The NX Concept looks like an old biddy has hacked a potato with a knife.

Peel it properly.
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - -
Lexus trying to teach Honda, the noted experts, how to alienate core buyers faster and more convincingly.
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - TheManWithNoName
My local council has got a vehicle just like this. Its controlled by a bloke in a hi-vis coat who walks behind it and it sweeps up rubbish and leaves from the pavement.
 Lexus - The Japanese ugly stick? - madf
>> Odd isn't it how we ( and I'm not claiming to be any different by
>> the way ) are mostly more concerned with how a car looks from the outside
>> than how it looks and feels on the inside which is where we usually are
>> when using it.
>>

Well If I had to look at that shape every day before going to work, I wouldn't.
Latest Forum Posts