Motoring Discussion > Farewell old friend... now I need a new toy. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Harleyman Replies: 18

Farewell old friend... now I need a new toy. - Harleyman
After dithering about the issue for a couple of years, I've finally taken the plunge and sold my much-loved old GMC pick-up truck. It had lived outside since our house fire last year and Welsh weather was starting to make inroads; plus it had become difficult to reverse it into the barn since a new boundary wall was built.

So, what to replace it with? Instinct said a SWB Series Land-Rover, but these are getting pricey and are not noted for their resistance to corrosion. A discussion with Mrs. HM opened up the possibility of a converted van to use as a basic camper so that we can go away together and also to haul bikes/firewood as required.

It seems that one needs to do certain things to a van in order to reclassify it as a motor-home; does anyone here have experience of this? I'd also appreciate opinions on the ideal "donor" vehicle; don't fancy a VW Transporter as despite the rave reviews they're very much in demand and consequently the prices are a bit silly. All sensible (or otherwise) suggestions appreciated.
 Farewell old friend... now I need a new toy. - Lygonos
www.campervanlife.com/building/legal

Rest of the site appears likely to be of interest to you

eg. www.campervanlife.com/self-builds
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 5 Nov 13 at 19:19
Excellent, thanks very much.
 Farewell old friend... now I need a new toy. - Robin O'Reliant
I thought for a minute there you'd seen sense and traded that old Hog for a Honda Shadow ;-)
>> I thought for a minute there you'd seen sense and traded that old Hog for
>> a Honda Shadow ;-)
>>

No chance. I might need a new toy but it certainly wouldn't be a plastic one! ;-)
 Farewell old friend... now I need a new toy. - -
Will you look for a classic again, free VED and all that (do vans qualify for free VED?), probably have to be an import for corrosion purposes..such as corrugated-iron sided Citroen..;).

Should be an interesting project.
>> Will you look for a classic again, free VED and all that

I don't think so. Having weighed up the economics, the saving of VED is offset by much higher fuel costs for older stuff unless you go down the LPG or chip-fat diesel route. There's also the fact that Mrs HM would share the driving so power steering is desirable.

Add to that the fact that most decent vans these days will cruise at 60 mph all day if not more, and it's a no-brainer. We're currently considering a VW LT28 (the modern Sprinter shape) or something similar. Hopefully it should be big enough to sleep 2 inside, have basic but functional cooking facilities and still have room to sling the old side-valve in the back, alternatively I could trailer it.

Classic would be nice but it'd have to live outside so I'd just be suffering the same probs as I've had with the pick-up.
All good fair points.

Don't VWs and MB's own version of the same van hold big money?

Our friend from the South West, MD, has had excellent service from his Renault Master, wouldn't one of those or its Vauxhall clone or one of the Pug/Cit/Iveco Boxer size LWB's be a cheaper base to work from.

Or is there really such a difference in the build quality between the German offerings and others?

Pity Toyota's superb and simple Hiace isn't seen here in larger panel vans, Landcruiser engine i understand, Dyna isn't really big enough either.
Don't consider Transit by the way, when i picked my wheels up from my bodyman this afternoon he was air chiselling the small remnants of what used to be the sills off a LWB Tranny...which isn't unusual except it was 55 plate.
>> Don't consider Transit by the way, when i picked my wheels up from my bodyman
>> this afternoon he was air chiselling the small remnants of what used to be the
>> sills off a LWB Tranny...which isn't unusual except it was 55 plate.
>>

Must've been one of the better ones, Transits usually fall apart of their own accord! I have to admit that I don't find them particularly nice to drive either.

Yes, there must be some sort of tie-up twixt M-B and VW; the Sprinters though are notoriously prone to tin-worm, I bought a 310 LWB high-top about 10 years ago when I moved down here. Superb and unbreakable engine and a delight to drive though.

Hired a Renault Master a few months ago to fetch the Electra-Glide, nice motor. As you say little to choose twixt them and Fiat's.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Tue 5 Nov 13 at 22:34
 Farewell old friend... now I need a new toy. - Armel Coussine
These front-wheel drive Transits are more refined and quite a lot nicer to drive than the old cart-sprung rwd ones, but I suppose a lot more fragile too.

Of course Hm with your GMC and its great big V8 diesel (I think you said?) you had the best of both worlds. Proper big US pickup easy to drive in workboots, oh yeah... I feel for you.

A Sprinter with a high ratio back axle, Ziebarted or whatever they call it nowadays? Aftermarket undersealing, waxoiling etc seem to have died out now that everything comes out of the factory ready treated... pity some of them still rust.

Toyota Land Cruiser is a very capable nice motor if you get a good one.
 Farewell old friend... now I need a new toy. - bathtub tom
With the high price of motor-homes, would it be worth considering a decent tug and caravan/trailers for your requirements?
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Wed 6 Nov 13 at 01:03
>> With the high price of motor-homes, would it be worth considering a decent tug and
>> caravan/trailers for your requirements?
>>

Only when they legalise driving in a burkha. I have certain standards. ;-)

Not really Tom; twice as much space taken up on the yard, and I dislike caravans anyway for reasons I won't bore you with.

>>Of course Hm with your GMC and its great big V8 diesel (I think you said?) you had the best of both worlds. Proper big US pickup easy to drive in workboots, oh yeah... I feel for you.

V6 petrol actually but it pulled like a big diesel, and yes that was part of its charm; plus you could fill the back with logs, junk or whatever and just hose it down afterwards.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Wed 6 Nov 13 at 07:04
 Farewell old friend... now I need a new toy. - MD
I bought the Renault Master new in 2002 and for the most part it is still sound down below!

Still drives smoothly and handles very well like the old 1100/1300 jobbies, a wheel in each corner so to speak.
 Farewell old friend... now I need a new toy. - Robin O'Reliant
>> I bought the Renault Master new in 2002 and for the most part it is
>> still sound down below!
>>
>> Still drives smoothly and handles very well like the old 1100/1300 jobbies, a wheel in
>> each corner so to speak.
>>

I see lots of decent looking Renaults for sale, both in the street and on ebay. I've always been put off by the tales on here.
 Farewell old friend... now I need a new toy. - MD
I'd have another and wouldn't look elsewhere.
 Farewell old friend... now I need a new toy. - Duncan
>> I see lots of decent looking Renaults for sale, both in the street and on
>> ebay. I've always been put off by the tales on here.
>>

Which? 2013 Car Survey says:-

Most Reliable Used Medium Cars 4 - 8 years old

Top 5

Mazda 3 2009- Petrol 92%
Honda Civic 2006 - 2012 Petrol 92%
Hyundai i30 2007 - 2012 Petrol 90%
Toyota Corolla 2002 - 2006 90%
Toyota Auris 2007 - 2012 Petrol 90%

Bottom 5

Renault Megane 2002 - 2009 Petrol 75%
Citroen C4 2004 - 2010 Diesel 74%
BMW Series 1 Hatchback 2004 0 2011 Petrol 72%
Peugeot 307 2001 - 2008 72%
Renault Megane 2002 - 2009 Diesel 67%

The percentage figures are the reliability score.
Job sorted, thanks for all the advice.

Bought a VW LT28 off the bay, X-plate (2000?) model which shares the bodyshell of the Merc Sprinter, not the old flat-front type.

Ex local authority mini-bus with only 40K on the clock, good nick and has a fitted towbar. Because it's a bus it already has windows of course so that's one job less.

Hope to pick it up at the weekend.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Mon 11 Nov 13 at 19:50
 Farewell old friend... now I need a new toy. - Lygonos
Here's an old blog with a couple of conversions - chap is a qualified engineer and it shows...

www.stealthcamper.com/
Latest Forum Posts