Motoring Discussion > DVLA Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Skip Replies: 15

DVLA - Skip
Good service as usual from the DVLA. Within 2 weeks of changing car I have received the V5 for the new car, notification that I am no longer the registered keeper of the old car and a cheque for the remainder of the VED from the tax disc I returned.
 DVLA - zookeeper
im still waiting for my tax disc.... 23 days and counting
 DVLA - PeterS
The V5 for my recently purchased A8 arrived just 7 working days after I picked the car up! I suspect with used cars it's the delay in the vendor sending the paperwork off that causes most problems... Tax discs have never taken more than 5 days for me when ordered online though - I suspect yours has gone missing in the post zookeeper!!
 DVLA - zookeeper
yeah, the longest its took in the past was no more than a week max, ive got the number for the transaction on my phone just in case the BIB or traffic warden goes for his pen
 DVLA - TheManWithNoName
Still waiting for my V5 sent off few weeks back. It was sent to the 'sensitive case' department as the car was previously owned by a deceased relative. Sensitive doesn't necessarily mean faster I guess.
 DVLA - Bromptonaut
Ours for recent change of cars were very quick indeed.

New car's V5 in it's standard 63 format arrived less than a wek after we took delivery.

Once that arrived I sent in the paperwork to transfer cherished plate from old car to new and for old one to pick up it's original 05 dated plate again.

All paperwork back again within just over a week and reggies swapped over.

The only thing I have not got is confirmation off the Xantia's transfer to the trader who took it for auction.
 DVLA - Bromptonaut
>> The only thing I have not got is confirmation off the Xantia's transfer to the
>> trader who took it for auction.
>>

Just spoke to DVLA about this. I'm still shown as keeper. They claim the V5 portion I sent them is lost and advise I write and explain.

Since I'm sitting at a PC working out my notice I think i can manage that though others would no doubt advise starting a fight.
 DVLA - bathtub tom
>>Since I'm sitting at a PC working out my notice

Nice feeling, isn't it? I found I got a lot of Christmas shopping done when I was in that position.

DVLA - Skip
>> >> The only thing I have not got is confirmation off the Xantia's transfer to
>> the
>> >> trader who took it for auction.
>> >>
>>
>> Just spoke to DVLA about this. I'm still shown as keeper. They claim the V5
>> portion I sent them is lost and advise I write and explain.
>>
>> Since I'm sitting at a PC working out my notice I think i can manage
>> that though others would no doubt advise starting a fight.
>>

As efficient as I find the DVLA I always send everything to them by recorded delivery.
 DVLA - Bromptonaut
Letter now printed and posted, emailed to home as I needed to enclose copy of V5c/3 slip.

Let's see what happens next.
 DVLA - R.P.
Took them over a month to send the 80GS' log-book and I sent in the buyer's and the seller's portions. They have gone bad.
 DVLA - Telb
Following my car change last month, tax disc arrived in 5 days, V5 2 days later and it took 2 weeks more for them to acknowledge that I was no longer the keeper of the trade-in.
 DVLA - Runfer D'Hills
My wife's car needs a new tax disc at the end of November. I want to think we've normally had a sheety through the post by now reminding us and providing a code to tax it online. Nothing arrived so far. Maybe I'm just imagining the timescale of previous years.

I guess there are still other ways of getting a disc like going to a post office or whatever. If only there was still a local post office of course but there's another tale...
 DVLA - Bromptonaut
>> My wife's car needs a new tax disc at the end of November. I want
>> to think we've normally had a sheety through the post by now reminding us and
>> providing a code to tax it online. Nothing arrived so far. Maybe I'm just imagining
>> the timescale of previous years.
>>
>> I guess there are still other ways of getting a disc like going to
>> a post office or whatever. If only there was still a local post office of
>> course but there's another tale...

They're printed in bulk and sent out over a few days earlyish in the month. I'd expect it anyday now but not panic if it hadn't arived until next week

IIRC you can do it online with the V5 provided you are the RK but needs a few more key presses than using the form.

NB - I'm not sure the envelope with the form is overtly branded OHMS - make sure it's not mixed up with the junk offers.
 DVLA - Runfer D'Hills
Thanks Bromp.
 DVLA - Meldrew
Mine has just arrived in a brown window envelope with just my name and address visible; on the back is a return postcode which doesn't mention DVLA but is an SA one which could be a giveaway. Did it on line on 9th and got it this morning 13th with a weekend in the middle so 3 or 4 working days. Good service
Latest Forum Posts