Motoring Discussion > The gritters are out Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 19

The gritters are out - Fullchat
Tccccchhh!

Sat in the study and saw the first gritter of the season passing the road end.

And I'd hoped to get a final ride out :(

And folks are trying to get a last grass cut.
 The gritters are out - Dave_
Facebook tells me that Snake Pass is closed tonight because of ice, also that the Highlands and Islands had a dusting this afternoon.

It's coming...
 The gritters are out - Zero
Rain frozen on windscreen went I went out at 05:50 yesterday. Credit card ruined, WTF was that scraper!
 The gritters are out - Victorbox
No sign of the first frost in the soft South just yet!
 The gritters are out - Lygonos
Frost over everything here (8.30am).

Off to St Andrews to play golf, tee-time 11.30 so hoping ice be gone by then - will be a wasted journey if the greens are still frosty.

....any golfophobes will think it a wasted journey anyway!
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 10 Nov 13 at 08:34
 The gritters are out - Zero
>> Frost over everything here (8.30am).
>>
>> Off to St Andrews to play golf, tee-time 11.30 so hoping ice be gone by
>> then - will be a wasted journey if the greens are still frosty.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ....any golfophobes will think it a wasted journey anyway!

I shot a 4 over par at Ferndown in thick fog, visibility less than 20 yards. Never played a round anywhere near as good before or since.
 The gritters are out - legacylad
Gritters out in force last night. A beautiful cloudless morning here in upper Ribblesdale with a thick frost. Looking forward to a walk alongside the Leeds Lpool canal and the fleshpots of Skipton. Well, 5 of them at least.
 The gritters are out - bathtub tom
RAC WRC Welsh rally next weekend. It always seemed to encounter the first snow of Winter.
 The gritters are out - Armel Coussine
>> golfophobes will think it a wasted journey anyway!

... if not a sign of perversion. Of course one has to remember that it is the Scottish national game, the equivalent of cricket or buzkachi... But these high-tech clubs make it too easy. Where are the sheep's thighbone and tatty ball of sinews of yore? Heuch!
 The gritters are out - Duncan
>> No sign of the first frost in the soft South just yet!
>>

May I respectfully draw to your attention the post immediately above yours, posted at 08.00 by a Mr Zero.

Unless of course he is off on a jaunt to t'north!
 The gritters are out - Bromptonaut
Might have been a bit of frost early but gone now the sun's out.

A morning to be careful down by the canal where a shady chill spot gives ideal conditions for the unwary to slither into ditch or bridge parapet.
 The gritters are out - Mike Hannon
We had the first white frost here three Sundays ago. Don't let anyone ever tell you that inland France is warm in winter. I fell for it.
Apparently the government says we won't get the Winter Fuel Allowance in future (for which we have contributed...) because France is warmer in winter than Spain, Portugal or Italy. I understand the DWP used an average temperature figure for France that includes its dominions and territories overseas including those in the Indian Ocean, the West Indies and the Pacific.
Ho hum...
At least they don't salt anything but the motorway and Euro routes round here - the regional council apologises every year, saying it's just not worth it - so I never worry about giving the Beast a run when the sun's out.
 The gritters are out - Runfer D'Hills
You'll not believe this but I promise it's true. Last night, I drove nearly 7 miles cross country in a RWD car on summer tyres despite the fact the temperature was down to 6.5C.

Foolhardy I know, but somehow thrilling and today, y'know I feel so sort of "alive" having taken myself so close to to the edge and survived.

Didn't have a flask or anything either.

The gritters are out - BiggerBadderDave
Severe winter on the way in Poland, so they are saying.

I should dump the Lexus and go for this:

tinyurl.com/nb9eomt

The right colour, the right trim and the right tyres.

I'm falling in love with the Defender. I'd have one of those above a Range Rover or any other luxury 4x4.
 The gritters are out - ....
You've got two years until the last one ever is made. I reckon that order book will be filling up...
tinyurl.com/on7vnbd
 The gritters are out - Victorbox

>> May I respectfully draw to your attention the post immediately above yours, posted at 08.00
>> by a Mr Zero.
>>
>> Unless of course he is off on a jaunt to t'north!

Well there ain't been any frosts in Somerset so perhaps I'm nowhere near Zero .... is that a good or bad thing?
 The gritters are out - NeilS
>>>>>We had the first white frost here three Sundays ago. Don't let anyone ever tell you that inland France is warm in winter. I fell for it.

We have a home that will soon be our retirement home in lower Normandy. It was -20C in February 2010. Central heating is scheduled for next year. This summer was in the 30s for weeks on end.
Last edited by: NeilS on Sun 10 Nov 13 at 22:20
 The gritters are out - bathtub tom
Currently 1.6C here and it's South of Watford!
 The gritters are out - WillDeBeest
There was frozen dew on my windscreen on Friday morning and I live as far south as Z (or just about). But then I have to go to work, so perhaps it's just that I'm up earlier.
 The gritters are out - Meldrew
First air frost, in East Midlands @ 2300 last night but gone in the morning as cloud came in overnight.
Latest Forum Posts