Motoring Discussion > BMW X3 E83 SUV - 2011 X3 niggles, or am I over-reacting? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 15

BMW X3 E83 SUV - 2011 X3 niggles, or am I over-reacting? - Auntie Lockbrakes
Back in June we bought a 25-month old X3 2.0D with 48,000 miles from a BMW dealer. Car had been used as the Service Manager's company car we were told, so presumably well-maintained and tip-top.

Anyway, after 4 months in our hands and 3000 miles the air con packed up yesterday! Coincidentally it was booked in for a service today, so the non-functioning air-con was added to the list of other niggles:

- clonky suspension offside front - worn shock?
- worn wiper blades
- battery in one of the key fobs is dying
- had a weird "battery cannot charge" warning after starting up following 10 days in the airport car park.

Shouldn't some of these items have been picked up before the car was sold to us?

Anyway, 2-year BMW guarantee that came with the car should cover all the repairs - or am I being too naïve?!?!
 BMW X3 E83 SUV - 2011 X3 niggles, or am I over-reacting? - Meldrew
Air con just happens and presumably is a warranty matter as is charging warning, Others seems to me to be wear and tear. Not knowing about car use in NZ I might think that 48K miles in 2 years is a lot?
 BMW X3 E83 SUV - 2011 X3 niggles, or am I over-reacting? - R.P.
Sounds as if its been standing a while to me. BMW warranties are pretty good in the UK...never had any trouble with them. The fob batteries are easy to change. Ask my dog !
 BMW X3 E83 SUV - 2011 X3 niggles, or am I over-reacting? - Zero

>> Shouldn't some of these items have been picked up before the car was sold to
>> us?
>>

No. Wiper blades, and key fob battery are consumables.
 BMW X3 E83 SUV - 2011 X3 niggles, or am I over-reacting? - RichardW
Probably find the AC has a stone through the condenser, and will cost ££ (or $$ in this case) to repair.... and won't be covered.
 BMW X3 E83 SUV - 2011 X3 niggles, or am I over-reacting? - Zero
yeah happened to me, but you can claim it off your insurance.
 BMW X3 E83 SUV - 2011 X3 niggles, or am I over-reacting? - Dave_
>> Shouldn't some of these items have been picked up

It surprises me how many of the cars I transport - new and old, all makes - throw up warning lights with no warning. Around 1 in 5 seem to have some sort of fault at any given time.

Our lorries are even worse.
 BMW X3 E83 SUV - 2011 X3 niggles, or am I over-reacting? - bathtub tom
>> throw up warning lights with no warning.

Diced carrot colour?

;>)
 BMW X3 E83 SUV - 2011 X3 niggles, or am I over-reacting? - Manatee
Probably overreacting, as I would!

I'd focus on the clonk. If it's wear related eg bushes then try to get both sides done.

The battery thing if it fixed itself is probably nothing. Low voltage plays havoc with modern cars' ystems. When the alternator failed on the CRV, one by one every light came on - airbag, ABS, ESP, the lot. The air conditioning is probably random damage as suggested but you won't know until it's looked at.
 BMW X3 E83 SUV - 2011 X3 niggles, or am I over-reacting? - Boxsterboy
Agree the knocking is probably a worn bushes.
 BMW X3 E83 SUV - 2011 X3 niggles, or am I over-reacting? - Bromptonaut

>> The battery thing if it fixed itself is probably nothing. Low voltage plays havoc with
>> modern cars' ystems. When the alternator failed on the CRV, one by one every light
>> came on - airbag, ABS, ESP, the lot.

Similar with Berlingo when corroded alternator lead meant no charge. Bit more basic than a CRV but ABS, Low BRake Fluid and master STOP all illuminated together with the beep that annonces anything out of the ordinary.
 BMW X3 E83 SUV - 2011 X3 niggles, or am I over-reacting? - mikeyb
I would be suprised if the work shop manager in a UK dealership would a:) be entitled to an X3 b:) have been allowed to keep it for 2 years.

I thought most entitled to a company car would be given something of the forecourt to be used until sold
 BMW X3 E83 SUV - 2011 X3 niggles, or am I over-reacting? - madf
Properly designed cars don't get corroded leads.. ah it was French...
Quick update: car was taken away Monday night (they left us a courtesy 530i) and returned Wednesday afternoon all done FOC!

Aircon was re-gassed; I suspect there's a leak and we'll see how we get on.

Pretty good service though!
 BMW X3 E83 SUV - 2011 X3 niggles, or am I over-reacting? - Shiny
>> I would be suprised if the work shop manager in a UK dealership would a:)
>> be entitled to an X3 b:) have been allowed to keep it for 2 years.

c) Done 48,000 miles when they have a desk job.
There's no doubt it's quite a high mileage for an NZ car, but we figured that the car had been looked after. It was a dealer demonstrator for the first 6 months - Yes probably racked up a few thousand miles immediately - then registered to the dealership's After Sales Manager.

The dealership has 2 branches 60 miles apart, and he apparently lived nowhere near either of them. Anyway, he's now got a new X3; their reasoning is they will try to sell us this one when he's done with it in 2 year's time..!

Just not convinced that the build quality is as good as the old 2006 assembled-in-Austria X3...
Latest Forum Posts