Motoring Discussion > Fuel prices Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PeterS Replies: 8

Fuel prices - PeterS
We're in Brunei at the moment, on our way to see my brother in Melbourne. Petrol is BND 0.52 a litre. That's 26p. At that price running at 4.2 litre A8 would seem a no brainer! Just saying :-(
 Fuel prices - diddy1234
I wonder if it's so cheap because of government subsidiaries.

Didn't India have the same thing and there was uproar when the government decided to stop the subsidiaries earlier this year ?
 Fuel prices - PeterS
Well certainly they extract and refine it here, and, AFAIK, there's no tax on it (or anything else...) either. Not sure if it's subsidised beyond that, though according to our driver, interest free loans are available from the government to purchase cars!
 Fuel prices - jc2
Fuel isn't exp[ensive in the UK;just the tax and duty!
 Fuel prices - PeterS
I've now identified a downside to low fuel prices and cheap cars. There are no taxis. Everyone has a car. Compounded here I'm sure by it being a dry country, but even so there are, apparently, just 50 taxis in the city of Bandar Seri Begewan, which has a population of around 300,000 I think.
 Fuel prices - helicopter
Brunei is expensive compared to Qatar...... currently around 16 p per litre for unleaded...

Fuel prices - PeterS
Qatar airlines was one of the other potential carriers, but we'd flown with them before so I thought we'd try Royal Brunei. Though if we'd waited a few weeks it would have been on a shiny new 787 rather than the slightly worn 777 :-)
 Fuel prices - Shiny
Fuel in Iran is 25p a litre (which is claimed to be cost price)
But you can get up to 100 litres a month with a chip and pin ration card subsidised so that it is 6p a litre. They also have 400 years of gas reserves.
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Tue 12 Nov 13 at 21:25
 Fuel prices - ....
Well done st, there goes the neighbourhood...there'll be more WMD than November 1605 in that place now.
Latest Forum Posts