Motoring Discussion > Tesla Model S - third fire in five weeks Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 5

Tesla Model S - third fire in five weeks - VxFan

Tesla shares are hit by a series of fires involving the Model S.

In the latest incident, which took place on Wednesday in the US state of Tennessee, a fire broke out in a car after it hit debris on the road.

Tesla said the fire did not start spontaneously but was the result of the accident. The previous two fires have also been related to accidents.

The firm's shares fell more than 7% on Thursday, after a 14% fall on Wednesday triggered by weak earnings.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24862356

Tesla Model S - third fire in five weeks - Dave_
Having electric bits handling tens or even hundreds of kWs is always going to be risky. No more so than carrying a dozen gallons of flammable spirit around I suppose, but petrol tank design has evolved a lot further than that of high-current automotive wiring.

Isn't it true that fire & rescue crews receive training on how to render hybrid powertrains inert before cutting crashed Prii open?
 Tesla Model S - third fire in five weeks - swiss tony
>> Isn't it true that fire & rescue crews receive training on how to render hybrid
>> powertrains inert before cutting crashed Prii open?
>>

I would hope so.
I do know that dealer staff have to have training on the systems, different levels of training for different jobs, ie basic training so you can talk about the system, intensive training should you work on a car with high voltage...

PS... I can't say any more.. still waiting for the training!!
Last edited by: swiss tony on Tue 12 Nov 13 at 06:51
 Tesla Model S - third fire in five weeks - zookeeper
so do the fire brigade have to do a risk assessment before they can point the water sword whilst your geewhizz fandango goes up in toxic smoke?
 Tesla Model S - third fire in five weeks - Dave_
>> so do the fire brigade have to do a risk assessment before they can point the water sword

I would think they get the dry powder/ CO2/ chemical foam out pronto and ask questions later.
 Tesla Model S - third fire in five weeks - Mapmaker
>>so do the fire brigade have to do a risk assessment before they can point the water sword whilst your [electric car burns]

I sincerely hope so. Much as you would do a risk assessment if you have an electrical fire, and you would use powder rather than water.

Latest Forum Posts