Motoring Discussion > Puncturesafe Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 10

Puncturesafe - Crankcase
Just going through the extended fan-annying about that comes with a second puncture in a month, with which I shall bore you not. My choice of tyres for my car are about £100 fitted each. Annoyingly I just had four new tyres very recently, so it's bit of a blow, as it were, to have to replace one now (repaired once, can't be repaired again, what are the odds?), but such is life.

But of course an idle google for "tyre insurance" (I don't think so thanks) lead me to a product called "Puncturesafe", which as you might imagine seems to be a gel you shove in your tyres and if they ever do get a puncture, it solves or reduces the problem.

About £20 from Amazon, does two tyres, so a £40 investment.

But I'd be interested if anyone has used this or equivalent stuff and found it of worth?
 Puncturesafe - Falkirk Bairn
Never used or thought of using such a thing.

About 10 years ago I bought 2 x new tyres, put on back and the 2 x 6mm on the front. 3 x punctures in 2 weeks in the new tyres - all during rain!

2013 no more punctures since - law of averages - you've had more than your quota recently - if like me you might not any for a long time.

That is assuming you are not going near too many building sites, scrap yards etc etc.
 Puncturesafe - Mapmaker
Kwik Fit will sell you tyre insurance.

But really, how often does one suffer punctures? My last two were the result of vandalism, and I don't want to tempt fate, but you've been very unlucky to have two.

I certainly don't fancy some sort of gunk that doesn't let you know you've got a puncture until it blows out on you.
 Puncturesafe - bathtub tom
I've heard (but not experienced) some places won't mend punctures in tyres filled with this sort of stuff. May not be such a good investment if you do get a puncture that subsequently needs a proper repair and results in a new tyre being purchased.
 Puncturesafe - Robin O'Reliant
I used Tyre Weld on a motorcycle tyre that had a screw through the centre of the thread, normally a straightforward repair. The garage found "Dangerous casing damage" and replaced the tyre. It was half worn anyway so I didn't query it, but I reckon the time involved in cleaning they tyre prior to repair would have been uneconomical so a screwdriver had probably been used to enhance the damage.
 Puncturesafe - martint123
OK - so you had a puncture and had it repaired - presumably with a proper mushroom plug from the inside??

For some reason you could not repair a second puncture (news to me that there is a limit)
(Hmm, I see National quote a 1 repair limit for V rated and above tyres, but others don't seem to have this limitation).

Now -your nice new shiny tyre gets filled with some puncturesafe gunk or somesuch.
You could end up with half a dozen punctures that it seals without knowing it. And each of them with glue rather than a proper plug - hmmm, not for me thanks.
 Puncturesafe - zookeeper
i thought the gunk only works the one time, im sure it doesnt swill around inside the tyre waiting to repair subsequent punctures?
 Puncturesafe - Robin O'Reliant
>> i thought the gunk only works the one time, im sure it doesnt swill around
>> inside the tyre waiting to repair subsequent punctures?
>>

There are two different types, one to seal a puncture after you get one and another pre-injected type to seal as you get one.
 Puncturesafe - zookeeper
oic robin.... a bit like self sealing fuel tanks on british ww2 bombers then?
 Puncturesafe - Simon
Guidelines might state that certain tyres should only have one puncture repair, but I don't think that there is a law against it.
 Puncturesafe - Ted

I used Tyreweld on the front tyre of my BMW in Belgium coming back to Zeebrugge and home.
It worked well, got me home and, about 6 weeks later, when I decided to sort the puncture out, I took the tyre off and it was as clean as a whistle inside. Popped a tube in and bobs yer uncle. Sorted.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts