Motoring Discussion > Dacia Sandero. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 22

Dacia Sandero. - Old Navy
I rented a Sandero in Tenerife last weekend. It was a basic model with a 1.2 petrol engine, aircon, and a radio! It had 18,000km on the clock came across as tough, durable, no nonsense transport. The 1.2 engine seemed gutless compared to my turbo diesel Ceed but it could maintain 120 kph on the motorway with ease but little in reserve. In the mountains it required second gear for some hills and hairpin bends. It had a softer ride (more comfortable) than my Ceed estate but the steering wheel was too high for me (I am 6') and there was no height adjustment for the seat or wheel.
 Dacia Sandero. - RattleandSmoke
Passed my test in a then brand new shape Clio III, had the same 1.2 litre engine as the Sandero. That was gutless, but I guess the Sandero is a bit lighter but also with less power.

I like the Sandero and what it offers but the base spec ones are just too basic and the higher spec ones start compete with the Fabia.

This end of the market is so crowded. There is a Sandero I have seen around Manchester with mini cab plates on the back.
 Dacia Sandero. - MJW1994
Don't see the point of these basic cars when you can get a second-hand decent car like a Clio which will be much nicer and more modern.
Some people including myself put a lot of value into a brand new car. I myself bought a brand new Panda back in 2010 and it was the best decision I have made. Some people just like the piece of mind of brand new cars. My dad did the same two and bought a brand new i10.

Touch would apart from minor accidents or other silly things like punctures neither of us has any hassle at all with our cars.

My Panda has now reached 14,500 miles with no problems at at all apart from a couple of niggles when it was brand new which were sorted under warranty and my dads i10 has done about 12,500 again without any issues.

For very small cars I think it always makes sense to buy new as the savings on buying used a small, however for biggers cars it makes more sense to buy used.
 Dacia Sandero. - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> My Panda has now reached 14,500 miles with no problems at at all apart from
>> a couple of niggles when it was brand new
>>

Blimey Rattle, it's barely run in. When I was an ADI I used to book a new car's first 1500 mile service for a fortnight's time as I was picking it up.
 Dacia Sandero. - Zero
yeah, most of us do more than 14,500 miles a year.
My car is used a lot but it spends a lot of time in traffic jams etc. It really is nothing more than a vehicle to transport computers in. I will have to replace the rear tyres one day not because they are worn but because they will start to break up :D.

I did have to get the break pads replaced this year but again that reflects the extreme city use the car gets, so the miles will take a lot longer to build up. I don't use my car at weekends either as I am uselessly too intoxicated.

At one point this year I as doing about 100-150 miles a week but then I got rid of my office (5 miles from home) and my milleage has reduced now. Most my customers living within four miles away, but four miles away in rush hour with all the Metrolink engineering works is like 30-40 minutes drive :(.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 14 Nov 13 at 19:28
 Dacia Sandero. - Zero
>>uselessly
>> too intoxicated.

Very good rattle. Great phrase.
Sorry for the abrupt end of my OP, I was informed in no uncertain terms that if I did not get a move on we would be late for the concert that we were attending this evening. I had fallen into the computer time warp trap. :-)

The Sandero had stood up to holiday daily rental use well, the interior was unmarked apart from a loose piece of trim near the base of the handbrake lever and one of the rear door speaker grilles was hanging on by some of its glue. The hazard flashers were the only thing that did not work. I used the car on motorways and on serious mountain roads, it handled it all without drama, but with lots of engine revs. I am almost tempted to say that I could live with a turbo diesel version with the seat and wheel height adjustment. Mrs ONs comment, "It is comfortable but a bit noisy", and when in the mountains, "DON'T DRIVE SO CLOSE TO THE EDGE". :-)
 Dacia Sandero. - Zero

>> a turbo diesel version with the seat and wheel height adjustment. Mrs ONs comment, "It
>> is comfortable but a bit noisy", and when in the mountains, "DON'T DRIVE SO CLOSE
>> TO THE EDGE". :-)

Its ok Hun, the edge is on your side........
 Dacia Sandero. - Notdoctorchris
Just adding my thoughts regarding the Sandero. I'm biased towards Dacia, being the owner of a base model 4WD Duster in which I've clocked up 12,000 enjoyable miles in less than 10 months.
Anyway, my girlfriend owns a 1.2 Sandero, the mid-range model which cost £6,600 brand new. This car has travelled over 4,000 miles in 5 months and I've driven it for at least 1,000 of those miles.
So, why the Sandero rather than a better equipped used car? My friend dislikes dealing with the used car trade, dislikes having to deal with car repairs or MOTs. She likes the idea of owning a brand new car but doesn't want to leave expensive machinery outside on a very narrow street day and night.
Personally I love the car with its rather spartan, stripped out interior. The controls are simple and do not divert you from concentrating on driving. The interior is easy to keep clean. It's spacious and comfortable. OK, it's not the fastest car around but on our crowded roads I find that getting from A to B quickly is more about driving strategically than driving rapidly. The ride is soft and comfortable. Handling is not perfect but is "characterful" and I enjoy driving the car on narrow, winding West Country lanes.
I've cast an eye over the build of the car and it appears solid. Components are simple and easy to access so any future repairs or servicing should be inexpensive. There certainly have been no faults or repairs so far, except a puncture.
So, a bit of a Luddites car, a statement in favour of austerity and against the high-tech direction taken by the rest of the car industry. If this car read a motoring magazine it would read "Car Mechanics" rather than "Evo".
 Dacia Sandero. - TheManWithNoName
I seriously considered the estate car they make as a replacement for an aging Peugeot 406.
I've also recently acquired a Hyunda Getz diesel as a 2nd car which is refreshingly simple and uncluttered compared to the Peugeot or other modern cars.
I saw a couple of Logan estate cars in Tenerife. It is different to the UK version as it has asymmetric side opening van type rear doors and the rear of the roof was level and did not slope downwards like the UK Logan MCV.
 Dacia Sandero. - MJW1994
It’s always interesting to read other peoples thoughts when buying cars.

The very basic Dacias make more sense than the higher spec models, which seem to get quite close to other cars in terms of value.

I would be interested to know if Dacia bodywork is up to Renault's high standard in terms of corrosion resistance.

I prefer to let someone else take the biggest hit on the depreciation and also pay the VAT. My Scenic had a list price of just over £21000, the first owner might have got it for £18000 but then traded it in at 30 months and 20000 miles for probably about £8000.

For £9500 I got a car with only 20000 miles, full main dealer service record and balance of the manufacturer’s warranty.

So I got a top quality £20000 car for less than half, that’s bargain motoring to me.
Last edited by: MJW1994 on Thu 21 Nov 13 at 21:00
 Dacia Sandero. - Lygonos
>>My Scenic

>>I got a top quality car

/popcorn
 Dacia Sandero. - MJW1994
>> >>My Scenic
>>
>> >>I got a top quality car
>>
>> /popcorn
>>

Grrrr! I suppose I asked for that..... Maybe I should have omitted the 'top quality' and wrote just 'quality'

:-)

....or just kept my gob shut :-(

Last edited by: MJW1994 on Fri 22 Nov 13 at 21:05
 Dacia Sandero. - kb

....or just kept my gob shut :-(

Yes, I learned to do that ages ago :-(
 Dacia Sandero. - MJW1994
Eight months ago by the look of it! Well at least I 'woke' you up.....
 Dacia Sandero. - kb
Yes, but enough! Back in to my hole. I know my place.
 Dacia Sandero. - Runfer D'Hills
Stick around, most of us don't bite !

;-)
 Dacia Sandero. - Fenlander
Agreed.

Just fire one polite salvo back at those that do bite KB then ignore them. It's only a forum. Your past contributions were as valid as anyone.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 22 Nov 13 at 22:08
 Dacia Sandero. - Zero
wasn't me guv.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 22 Nov 13 at 22:10
 Dacia Sandero. - MJW1994
>> Yes, but enough! Back in to my hole. I know my place.
>>

You will get some of them excited saying things like that.....

;-)
Latest Forum Posts