Motoring Discussion > Volvo C30 - Any negatives with this engine/gearbox combo? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 7

Volvo C30 - Any negatives with this engine/gearbox combo? - Auntie Lockbrakes
Man-maths* has me eyeing up a 2010 Volvo C30 2.0-litre petrol auto:

tinyurl.com/orfuslj

Haven't been to see it yet. I'm unfamiliar with Volvo's 2-litre lump, but assume it must have around 130HP and will be nippy enough for this wee car?

Am pretty sure it's a TC auto, the same as I had previously in a 2006 V50 D5?

Car's been on the dealer's yard for over 6 months, and the C30 has never had many followers in NZ, but I've been a fan for years. This particular example has been parallel-imported from Japan, as many so-called "prestige" cars are in this country.

* The 2005 A4 cabrio is 9 years old and facing quite a few preventative repair bills in the New Year...
 Volvo C30 - Any negatives with this engine/gearbox combo? - Mike H
Not trying to teach you to suck eggs Nick, but 6 months is a while for a car to have been standing - flats on the tyres for example. And if it's only been moved around the forecourt, that doesn't bode well for the battery, and won't have been good for the engine. If the antifreeze/rust inhibitor was weak, the cooling system may have suffered. Six months is probably not long enough for anything too serious, but just some random thoughts to be factored in to any negotiations.
 Volvo C30 - Any negatives with this engine/gearbox combo? - Mike H
PS. HJ gives it as 145PS and 136lb.ft. for the SE Sport manual, but doesn't list a 2.0 petrol auto, perhaps that model wasn't available in the UK.
 Volvo C30 - Any negatives with this engine/gearbox combo? - Roger.
Aesthetically, Volvo's seem to have REALLY ugly rear light clusters, don't they?
 Volvo C30 - Any negatives with this engine/gearbox combo? - Roger.
Good God, did I REALLY write "Volvo's"?
Hangs head in shame.
Must have been the Hobgoblin Extra Strong!
 Volvo C30 - Any negatives with this engine/gearbox combo? - ....
It might be a Powershift box. Gearbox oil changes every 3 years/60,000kms so you'll be just in time to pick that bill up.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 24 Nov 13 at 14:52
 Volvo C30 - Any negatives with this engine/gearbox combo? - Auntie Lockbrakes
A lot of used cars do sit on forecourts for MONTHS in this part of the world, or so it seems. Slower turnover of stocks in a smaller market I guess.

It seems there was a 2.0 petrol offered in the UK back in 2007 on the pre-facelift model. Parkers state 143BHP which sounds good, but a 0-60 time of over 9 secs. FWIW. So might not feel an awful lot faster than the A4 cabrio, then again the C30 is nearly 300Kg lighter...

Dunno...
 Volvo C30 - Any negatives with this engine/gearbox combo? - WillDeBeest
Don't think Volvo ever used Powershift, even with Ford engines. Be wary - the C30 is not as small as you might think. Still a nice piece of kit, though.
Latest Forum Posts