Motoring Discussion > Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review Miscellaneous
Thread Author: ToMoCo Replies: 52

Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - ToMoCo
10 years, 140k review.

I bought this September 2003 (53) registered car in January 2009. It was a steal at £1700 private sale.

It’s the lower output 2.0 HDi (90 bhp as opposed to 110) in ‘S’ trim.

Started life as a dealer ‘demonstrator’ and was sold to the guy I bought from with around 2500 miles. Its first annual service was at a Peugeot dealer but never been back to a main dealer since that day (well, there is paperwork for a recall – fuel supply pipe). I bought it with around 54k on the clock and a further 4 annual service invoices from a local independent, and a 5th for pads.

Running Costs – So far, in my 5 years of ownership, I’ve spent a total of £2250 on servicing, maintenance and MOT testing. This includes a cambelt kit at 63k (£170) and more recently cambelt/waterpump at 133k (£250). There was a hefty bill (£600+) early on for brake work, discs/pads & suspension bits all round (about 75k?).

The figure above has been kept down recently as I have taken on all servicing and any repairs I think I can handle. It has had new discs/pads again this year (fitted by me) so hopefully good for a few years yet. It does seem to eat suspension parts for breakfast. But since it hits 6 speed bumps every time I take it out (and then the return, of course) and coupled with the fact I buy cheap pattern parts (which may be a false economy?), I won’t hold it against it.

So, average £450/year for maintenance including the cost of the actual MOT and tyres is a figure I’m happy with. And now I service it myself will only go down hopefully (or at least cover increasing costs elsewhere as it gets older)

Faults – I’ve mentioned before, we had a 2001 Megane (brand new) and I swore I would never buy French again, but I did. That has now mellowed to I’ll never buy Renault again ;-). Around 80k, I had a strange (but dangerous) fault where the car would cut out on the motorway (but instantly re-start). Turned out to be the Mass Air-flow Sensor. £60.
The heater blower packed up only blowing full speed. Couple of quid at maplins and I soldered a new resistor on (That lasted about 40k and I had to do it again, but don’t think the second failure can be blamed on the car?)
The air bag light started playing up a few weeks ago. Just unplugged/re-plugged it all under the seat and it went away. Came on this morning again though, so may have to look at a more permanent fix removing the plugs.

That’s it (as far as I can remember ATM). Not too bad at all for 140k.

The Engine (& driving) – I get a consistent 43-44 mpg in general daily use (maybe about 70% motorway work by mileage). 55+ if purely motorway. If I’m honest, I’m a little disappointed with those figures considering the performance. This car is Sloooow…
But I thinks that’s probably the problem, That 90 bhp engine is constantly worked to get the car going anywhere! Wish it was the 110 version. It still starts and drives very well though, If you covered the odo, you could get away with claiming half the mileage. It’s never felt anything other than sure footed. It’s no ball of fire on the A roads but feels solid enough and makes a good motorway cruiser. Standard 15" alloys with 60 profile tyres make for a decent ride.

Styling (and general bodywork) – personal, of course, but I think it still looks fairly modern on the roads today, especially considering it was first released in what 1996? The paintwork has held out very well and other than a little rust at the front of the bonnet (untreated stone chips) is almost perfect.

Interior – Only recently starting to show its age with the drivers seat bolster wearing through (but I’m a big lump). The White dials look good, Clarion radio sounds good and has all the basics – electric windows, steering controls for radio, cup holder blah blah. Lacks cruise and the factory sat nav is terrible. Air-con stopped being effective a couple of years ago. I’ve never paid to re-gas.

You’re never going to fall in love with a car like this, but it’s a comfortable enough place to sit. Lots of range on the steering rake/reach and height adjustable seats. The left foot rest is well positioned with plenty room. I can drive Glasgow-London and feel OK.

Enough space in the rear that adults don’t complain, but it’s no Mondeo! Split folding rear seats are pretty practical too.

I’ve now had this car longer than any other. Originally borne out of necessity, but now I just can see any car that I could (reasonably) afford doing a much better job that I’d want to pay for that privilege.

For reliable transport on a budget, If you can find a well serviced one, I would thoroughly recommend this.
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - Runfer D'Hills
Good review TMC. Pal of mine up in Scotland still has as his daily driver a 405 non-turbo diesel estate which he bought when it was 6 months old. I want to think it's an "L" reg. It now has squillions of miles on it ( well, maybe not quite that many but "lots" anyway ) and it still looks ok despite his best efforts. Navy blue his one. ( Under the mud ) He's a country boy.

Forget to mention, the indicator/wiper stalks feel really weak/flimsy, but have listed fine.

There are no interior squeaks or rattles. Well screwed together. Unlike the 2 year old Hyundai, thats for another thread.
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - Robin O'Reliant
I've always thought the 406 was a lovely looking car, among the last of the mainstream models that had lovely sleek lines as opposed to the bloated lumps of metal made today.
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - Bill Payer
>> There was a hefty bill (£600+) early
>> on for brake work, discs/pads & suspension bits all round (about 75k?).
>>
>> It does seem
>> to eat suspension parts for breakfast.
>>

I ran one from new to 120K as a company car and it got to the point when it went in for service that we didn't even agree a return DAY, never mind a return time!

I think the 20K service intervals didn't help - it meant the garage was changing things as they wouldn't last another 20K.

As part of the leasing deal we had to get them MOT'd at 3yrs before they were returned - it failed!

Thought I was going to be upping the repair costs on this today.

Steering was intermittently going heavy/light and would not self centre properly.

My initial thoughts were a failing power steering pump or the rack itself but a quick google suggested greasing the universal joint at bottom of steering column. That done the trick and normal service has resumed.
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - TheManWithNoName
Good review. Tomoco.
I have an x reg 2001 version (110hp) which we were given by an elderley relative about 5 years ago at 32k. It clicked round to 113k last night. Its been totally reliable, always started and never broken down. It too has needed brakes but I think that was due to corrosion and under use by aforementioned relative. I replaced an indicator stalk with a life of its own a few years back. Servicing is done at a local indi garage. Apart from tyres and exhausts, its been relatively cost free. Electrical glitches - sometimes the service indicator spanner appears but vanishes next time its started. Sometimes the radio won't switch off unless we start and stop the engine 3 times! It also seems to need new CV boots every year on one side or other.
I get about 47mpg on urban roads and have managed 65mpg loaded on a run from Essex to the Lakes. Its large - not many modern cars are as big so I'm reluctant to chop it in for something else which is smaller or comes with DPF's and trick flywheels.
It will need a cambelt and water pump soon - £350 quoted and possibly a new throttle position sensor - hesitates on acceleration and hunts a bit. A leak at the top of the engine needs fixing and it will need new brake fluid. Just a shame it costs me over £200 for VED compared to only £30 for the Getz.
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - Stuartli
The Peugeot 405 and 406 were quite splendid saloons with wonderful ride quality and first class handling.
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - Fursty Ferret
Get it chipped!
>> Get it chipped!

I should have done years ago, but don't think I'll bother now as I have the Toyopet for weekend use (although it's not that small, so not really, but that's what the kids have termed it)
MOT looming on this for the end of the month and I can't get the airbag light to go out.

A common problem and usually solved by removing the cheap plug connectors under the seats.

I've done this but it hasn't extinguished the light. Will need to bite the bullet and book it in somewhere (first time in a long while) for diagnosis to see if it can pinpoint where to look.
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - TheManWithNoName
Mines had the cam belt and water pump done and i've changed the MAF sensor. It goes really well again so should see me through for another 100K with luck.
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - Alastairw
If its anything like the Skoda you can fix the problem but need to plug the diagnostics in to get the light to go out. The light in mine hasn't re-appeared (except at startup of course) in two years, which I put down to a ban on moving the passenger seat!
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - RichardW
You can buy a Lexia / Peugeot Planet interface for about £60 these days - same as the cost of a diag session. Not worth not having one really.

The airbag light could well be the rotary connector - unfortunately this is part of the COM2000 unit that includes the control stalks, and can be £££ to replace - although there is a guy on e-bay offers a repair service. If you drop into frenchcarforum there is a list of people with Lexia - one of them might be near enough to plug it in for you. If you're central Scotland, I can do it for you as I have one at loan at present - air bag light on my sister's Xsara, which is the COM 2000 most likely....

I have decided to give up with my Xantia this MOT - at 13 years and 160k, it needs quite a few pipes, and a number of other jobs. Having enjoyed changing the turbo on our 1.6 HDi C4 Picasso so much, I have bought a 307 with the same engine.... :-))
Richard, I have considered buying the pp2000, About £60 buying from China, but who knows how long that would take for delivery, seems that UK stock is closer to £90, but probably still well worth it.

My fear is, as you mention, it's the combination switch.

I live in Strling (work in Cumbernauld) BTW, and If I could come to you to for diag, it would be much appreciated :)
Well, good news, I think.

Airbag light is now out. I cleaned the car out - vacuumed etc, moving the seats full backwards/forwards, so I think it must be a bad a connection somewhere to do with the seat belt pre-tensioners
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - RichardW
Self healing faults, nice...

Can't remember if the air bag keeps the fault record.... busy this weekend, but I could probably do next weekend if required. I nearly pass you on the work run, as I live in Lanark and work in Grangemouth.
Thanks Richard, I don't know if it stores codes either? I'll see how it goes and employ the Alistairw method of a ban on moving the seats!

Just failed it's MOT - Anti roll bar drop link (there is a knocking) and handbrake efficiency.

Relatively please with that result - a cheap year as far as MOT goes although I'm not entirely sure what to do about the handbrake, I've been at it a few times since last MOT with not much success, think I'll let the garage at it this time seeing as the list is short
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - Dave_
>> Air-con stopped being effective a couple of years ago. I’ve never paid to re-gas.

You should. I had a 53 plate 406 2.0HDi 90 S estate in 2004/5. Did 160,000 miles in it and found its aircon to be the strongest of any car I've driven before or since - I suppose it was designed to hold its own during Mediterranean French summers.

My findings: Very comfortable, spacious, well-specced. Surprisingly robust apart from lunching its gearbox at 105k. Too thirsty for a 90hp diesel though, I only got low 30s mpg throughout my time in it (compared to 48mpg from my previous Octavia SDi - Peugeot did 400 miles to the tank, Skoda 600). And the CD-ROM two-line text satnav never did work properly.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Wed 12 Mar 14 at 21:35
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - DP
I had two of these - an XUD engined model, and then a later, facelift HDi engined model. Both were 90 bhp.

Very very nice cars, but chronically under-engined. I remember they struggled to hold 70 mph in top up a good motorway incline, particularly 2 or more up. The HDi version was considerably more economical than the XUD version (an easy 100 more miles per tank) but otherwise there wasn't much in it.

I remember the beautifully comfortable, supple ride and the way they soaked up miles with no drama or fuss.

The earlier car was more reliable than the later one.

A friend has a 110 HDi estate that he bought on eBay for £300 needing a few bits and pieces doing. He spent £200 and a weekend sorting the bits out, and ended up with a very presentable and very practical car for ridiculously little money. Still going strong a year later.
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - Bromptonaut
>> Very very nice cars, but chronically under-engined. I remember they struggled to hold 70 mph
>> in top up a good motorway incline, particularly 2 or more up.

I'm surprised a 90PS (turbo?) XUD still less the HDi version struggled with M/way inclines. My HDi 110 Xantia did 130kph up hill and down dale four up and with roof box on the steeper gradients of the A75 etc.

Even the 68PS 1.9D Berlingo will maintain 70 on UK motorways (though it occasionally struggled on French Autoroute inclines).

Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - BobbyG
I remember my brother had a 405 diesel, 1.9 - I am thinking it would have been turbo?

When we were driving from North to South of France the standing joke was that at every hill or incline he would fall way behind because of his air con zapping the energy.
>> >> Very very nice cars, but chronically under-engined. I remember they struggled to hold 70
>> mph
>> >> in top up a good motorway incline, particularly 2 or more up.
>>
>> I'm surprised a 90PS (turbo?) XUD still less the HDi version struggled with M/way inclines.
>> My HDi 110 Xantia did 130kph up hill and down dale four up and with
>> roof box on the steeper gradients of the A75 etc.
>>
>> Even the 68PS 1.9D Berlingo will maintain 70 on UK motorways (though it occasionally struggled
>> on French Autoroute inclines).
>>

Must admit, mine will struggle on a prolonged incline
My drive was the equivalent 110 Xantia. Re-gassed twice during its life and A/C still effective when I sold i for parts at 13yo.

>> Too thirsty for a 90hp diesel though, I only got low 30s mpg throughout my
>> time in it

Dave, must have been something up with that? I can eek that from my 2.5 turbo petrol auto if I accelerate no faster than the Pug!
I got the Garage to do the drop link and sort the handbrake on Friday.

MOT'd for another year for a total of £91 (including cost of MOT). Can't complain at that.
2 new tyres on the front today (last pair lasted ~ 13k miles).

£130 for a pair of mid range Kumho.

Bringing the running costs over the last 12 months to just £221.00

EDIT: Total £244 - forgot the service kit towards end of last year. Will need to get another in the next few days.
Last edited by: ToMoCo on Fri 16 May 14 at 12:09
>> £130 for a pair of mid range Kumho.

Correction, not in stock, so have just fitted a pair of budget tyres for the grand total of £90.

Will I live to regret that decision? or maybe more appropriately it should simply be 'Will I live?'
Last edited by: ToMoCo on Fri 16 May 14 at 13:33
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - ....
>>>> Too thirsty for a 90hp diesel though, I only got low 30s mpg throughout my
>>>> time in it

>> Dave, must have been something up with that? I can eek that from my 2.5 turbo petrol auto
>> if I accelerate no faster than the Pug!

I went from a Mk2 Golf GTi to a 306 XRdt in 1996.

Golf would average 38mpg on my weekly commute down to Plymouth, the 306 averaged 36mpg over the same journey.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 16 May 14 at 12:51
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - DP

>> Golf would average 38mpg on my weekly commute down to Plymouth, the 306 averaged 36mpg
>> over the same journey.
>>

The biggest improvement the HDi delivered over the XUD turbo was its fuel economy. I never rated the XUD's economy to be honest. high 30s to low 40s in most things. Although it did feel very lively in the 306.
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - Runfer D'Hills
13k miles? Oh the joys of fwd ! I'm getting nigh on 40k miles out of tyres at both ends of the Merc.
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - ....
>> 13k miles? Oh the joys of fwd ! I'm getting nigh on 40k miles out
>> of tyres at both ends of the Merc.
>>
Mimser ! Though I have to say most new cars are a bit light on the loafers compared to what we had before.

My current car has the same output as the last one.

I could wreck a set of fronts in less than 6k on the old car, the new one is holding up well to my abuse with no noticeable wear. In the first 6k miles despite my best efforts to test the "brake cornering, we'll get you out of trouble mid-corner no matter how much of an a**e you are being".

Motorbike tyres, now you're talking tyre wear...
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - PeterS
>> 13k miles? Oh the joys of fwd ! I'm getting nigh on 40k miles out
>> of tyres at both ends of the Merc.
>>

Mercs do seem to be remarkably light on tyres in my experience. But I once had a 535d as a company car (free fuel and driven accordingly...) and even that managed nearly 18k out of a set of rear tyres. The fronts, from memory, didn't need replacing in 40k miles. It did average under 29 mpg though I think...
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - Fenlander
>>> I never rated the XUD's economy to be honest. high 30s to low 40s in most things.

Thankfully our experience was a bit better. We went from petrol Mondeo/BX type cars where shorter runs or keen driving would drop them under 30mpg to turbo XUD where ZX/Xantia size cars would never drop below 42mpg under the most difficult conditions... and see 45mpg on a run.

Even better that the later Hdi (and Alfa JTD) engines could add another 10mpg to those figures with even more brisk driving.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 16 May 14 at 14:06
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - MJM
I've got a 2 litre 16valve HDI 138bhp C5 auto and that's doing 38 in mixed but non-motorway driving.
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - hj
2.0l HDi 90 myself - Thanks for the tip on the steering column UJ..... I had exactly the same problem for about a month last year and then it cleared up unexpectedly and all was well over winter. Now it's started doing it again, heavy on right hand corners, light on left corners! Steering won't centre at all from heavy side. the fact that it goes heavy only turning one way made me discount the steering pump, so I felt it had to be the rack. Hadn't considered the UJ, so that's well worth a grease up! Thanks

[quote]Steering was intermittently going heavy/light and would not self centre properly.
My initial thoughts were a failing power steering pump or the rack itself but a quick google suggested greasing the universal joint at bottom of steering column. That done the trick and normal service has resumed.

[/quote]
Last edited by: hj on Thu 5 Jun 14 at 18:12
ABS light on.

I will investigate later today, but hoping it's just a sensor needs cleaning.
Last edited by: ToMoCo on Fri 8 Aug 14 at 10:08
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - Fullchat
RTFQ ! FC.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 8 Aug 14 at 11:47
Not having the PP2000 means I'm not sure where the fault is coming from, but just cleaned up the two front sensors. Surprisingly easy. The drivers side was particularly 'gunked' up.

Initial test looks promising but it was intermittent anyway, so I'll know better over the next few days.
If you can find a diagram for the pinouts from the ABS ECU to the sensors then a resistance test will highlight a sensor problem.

Someone on the www.frenchcarforum * will know
*can't remember the last bit of the link but google will find it.
HTH
To be honest, I really should just buy a PP2000.

And that might be sooner rather than later! Light came back on during drive home. I'll clean up the sensors on the rear at some point over the weekend and see how it goes.
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - Fullchat
Check the ABS driveshaft rings as well. Not unknown for them to crack which will send ABS into fault mode.
I've just bought a Lexia/PP2000. I'm in south Gloucestershire if that's any help.
Thanks MJM, a very kind offer, but I'm in Stirling. Think it might be cheaper just to buy my own. :)

Have you used it yet? Easy enough to set up on a laptop?
I bought it from easydiagnostics, not the cheapest available but according to those in the know on the frenchcarforum it is of good quality. The software loaded perfectly on a Dell laptop but I haven't used it yet.
Rear silencer recently split from the rest of the exhaust, so while in the garage, I asked them to fault read the ABS code as I haven't been able to extinguish the ABS light through cleaning. Also asked them to investigate knocking from the front.

£190 later they fitted new N/S front ABS Sensor, N/s front lower ball joint and Off side drop link as well as fixing the exhaust.

Another £25 covered the Oil, Oil Filter & Air Filter I done myself.
Snapped handbrake cable, only around 8 quid from euro car parts, but daft question -

the cable is in 3 parts, (Front, rear left and rear right). It's the rear driver side I need.

Anyone know what would determine left and right on the car - sitting in drivers seat or looking from the front of the car?
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - sooty123
sitting in the drivers is the normal convention, to determine LH and RH.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 5 Jan 15 at 11:57
>> sitting in the drivers is the normal convention, to determine LH and RH.

That would be my answer too. As left and right rear parts are different then comparing with what's broken/still in situ should provide a cross check.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 5 Jan 15 at 12:18
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - Zero
>> Snapped handbrake cable, only around 8 quid from euro car parts, but daft question -
>>
>>
>> the cable is in 3 parts, (Front, rear left and rear right). It's the rear
>> driver side I need.
>>
>> Anyone know what would determine left and right on the car - sitting in drivers
>> seat or looking from the front of the car?

clue, you are in a R/H drive car.....
Thanks chaps

Good point Zero!
 Peugeot 406 - 2.0 HDi - a (well) used owner review - swiss tony
>> Snapped handbrake cable, only around 8 quid from euro car parts, but daft question -
>> the cable is in 3 parts, (Front, rear left and rear right). It's the rear driver side I need.
>>
>> Anyone know what would determine left and right on the car - sitting in drivers seat or looking from the front of the car?
>>

Don't muck about - replace all 3.
If one has snapped, I'll bet at least its opposite number isn't in much better condition.
So, to clear some space for the new arrival, this has been moved on, but not far. I've handed it over to my Dad.

6 years and a month is the longest I've ever held onto a car taking it from 54,000 mile upto 155,000 miles.

Total cost of ownership (excluding only Fuel and Insurance) was £4400.

£60/month including buying the car, all servicing, maintenance, tyres and MOT's doesn't seem all that much at all to run a car. Bargain.
Latest Forum Posts