Motoring Discussion > halfords bulb fitting service Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: retgwte Replies: 20

halfords bulb fitting service - retgwte
sitting in the car park watching the halfords guy trying to fit a bulb, laughing my socks off at how clueless he was

halfords bulb fitting service - Armel Coussine
You'd have had the front bumper, wings and crossmember off in a trice, with the engine supported on a trolley jack, would you retgwte?

'Stand aside, dolts! Let the dog see the rabbit!'
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 25 Nov 13 at 20:11
 halfords bulb fitting service - R.P.
One of the reasons for me opting to do the job myself yesterday. Rece'd the job on Saturday - fitted them yesterday, as I said in my own posting very cheap to be done there though and quite tempting...
 halfords bulb fitting service - Haywain
A couple of years ago, I enquired about replacing one of my wife's Focus bulbs; they wouldn't touch it! Can't say I blame them!
 halfords bulb fitting service - Old Navy
My Focus was a doddle, one bolt, two clips, and the headlamp unit is in your hand. It must take all of a minute, if you don't rush the job. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 25 Nov 13 at 20:42
 Halfords bulb fitting service - WillDeBeest
Bolt? As in 'requiring a spanner'? Try one bayonet-fit cap and one (captive, unlosable) spring clip for simplicity.

A couple of times the computer has told me of a failed dip-beam bulb as I've been leaving for work. Watch off, bonnet open, spare bulb from boot, two minutes to change, wash hands, watch back on, off to work.
 Halfords bulb fitting service - borasport
I guess you aren't driving a Renault then ?
Or a Skoda, when it comes to changing drls or fog lights...
 Halfords bulb fitting service - Lygonos
>> A couple of times the computer has told me of a failed dip-beam bulb as I've been leaving for work. Watch off......

As luck would (or wouldn't) have it, one of my friends who works at a dockyard was replacing an alternator on one of the cranes last week - disconnected the battery (?earth) lead then got to work with the alternator.

Apparently the lead must have moved and re-contacted as he was wrestling with the fairly substantial alternator and caused a current (24v electrics I believe) to pass through his wristwatch, fusing the catch on the bracelet and heating it to F. Hot.

Even though it took no more than a few seconds to slice off the bracelet with bolt cutters he has a funky burn on his wrist from the hot metal.
 Halfords bulb fitting service - Harleyman

>>
>> Even though it took no more than a few seconds to slice off the bracelet
>> with bolt cutters he has a funky burn on his wrist from the hot metal.
>>

I'm very surprised that he, as a professional (I presume) tradesman, is daft enough to wear a wristwatch in his line of work let alone one with a metal strap.

The consequences of same, along with the wearing of any other jewellery, were spelt out to me in graphic detail in the first few weeks of my apprenticeship trade training in the Army; and that was getting on for forty years ago.
 Halfords bulb fitting service - bathtub tom
>> Even though it took no more than a few seconds to slice off the bracelet
>> with bolt cutters he has a funky burn on his wrist from the hot metal.

I'm sure anyone who's worked in old Strowger telephone exchanges will tell you horror stories of fingers burned off by shorting rings on bus-bars. 50V protected by a 2K amp fuse, driven by a battery the size of a coach!
 Halfords bulb fitting service - Mapmaker
>>I'm sure anyone who's worked in old Strowger telephone exchanges will tell you horror stories of fingers burned off by shorting rings on bus-bars

Rings, watches, neck ties. The toys of Satan in dangerous surroundings.
 Halfords bulb fitting service - henry k
>> >>I'm sure anyone who's worked in old Strowger telephone exchanges will tell you horror stories
>> of fingers burned off by shorting rings on bus-bars
>>
and working on tag blocks when the jolt ensures the back of your hand impacts the adjacent tag block.
>>
>> Rings, watches, neck ties. The toys of Satan in dangerous surroundings.
>>
Oh yes but not just in industry. A lady I know lost her ring finger when it snagged in a loft hatch.
 Halfords bulb fitting service - Duncan
>> Oh yes but not just in industry. A lady I know lost her ring finger
>> when it snagged in a loft hatch.
>>

I know someone that happened to, as well. I wonder if it was the same person?

I know a man who fell off a ladder while painting his front door. His finger got caught in the top of the door and pulled it shut as he fell.

Nine finger Dennis we called him!
 Halfords bulb fitting service - Ted
>> >> Oh yes but not just in industry. A lady I know lost her ring
>> finger
>> >> when it snagged in a loft hatch.

In Ullapool in the 70s SWM and I were idly watching a crane on the harbour wall trying to get something out of the water.

Talking to another watcher, we found out it was a fork lift which had gone over with it's driver. The poor man had been trapped by his wedding ring and had to tear his finger off to escape.

Ouch !

Ted
 Halfords bulb fitting service - henry k
>> I know someone that happened to, as well. I wonder if it was the same person?
>>
Her husband is / was in the CID
 Halfords bulb fitting service - Lygonos
Chap came into A&E having been hooking the nets on goalposts and snagging his wedding ring on one of the crossbar hooks.

His finger was in a wee cup of ice.
 Halfords bulb fitting service - Old Navy
The worst accident of this type that I have come across was someone who trapped his forearm in a hydraulic rubbish compactor. It stripped the flesh from his arm down to his wrist. This happened in a submarine at sea and the arm was saved by the on board doctor. Fortunately the submarine involved was not far from the UK and the guy concerned was helicoptered to hospital. After the arm healed it still worked well.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 26 Nov 13 at 19:15
 Halfords bulb fitting service - Armel Coussine
>> The worst accident of this type that I have come across was someone who trapped his forearm in a hydraulic rubbish compactor.

Woodworking machinery is very dangerous stuff. I used a bench saw with a traversing disc quite a lot about 20 years ago, and it was a scary thing although if you were careful and not drunk it was perfectly all right.

Naval ordnance establishments have carpenters' shops to whack up special packing cases for the bigger ammo. My old man used to complain, both abroad and here, that the workers took risks by not using the guards built into the machines. Even when they weren't on piecework, they wanted to get ahead to have a nice long teabreak, sort of thing.

The old man was quite squeamish and he hated nasty injuries. But a big planing machine can plane all the fingers off your hand in the twinkling of an eye if you let it. Not sure about abroad, but in this country militant unions made it all worse. He was particularly persecuted by the Boilermakers I think.
 Halfords bulb fitting service - WillDeBeest
Watch off...

Mine (that I wear to work) has a leather strap but I hadn't thought of it as a safety point, just that it's a nice one and I don't want to damage it by shoving it into a mucky, scratchy confined space.

But I'll take the approval points anyway. };---)
 halfords bulb fitting service - Haywain
"My Focus was a doddle"

One bolt and two clips??? Are we talking about the same Mk1 facelift jobbie? I had to go in through the back (as recommended in the manual) and do a gynaecological search with the aid of a mirror and skin my knuckles in the process. Others have reported similar difficulties. I take my hat off to you, ON!
 halfords bulb fitting service - Old Navy
>> "My Focus was a doddle"
>>
>> One bolt and two clips??? Are we talking about the same Mk1 facelift jobbie?

Mine was an 05 MK2 Focus.
Latest Forum Posts