Motoring Discussion > The Drivers' Union Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alanovich Replies: 32

The Drivers' Union - Alanovich
Never heard of "The Drivers' Union". It seems, however, that those of us with an interest in driving and cars are to be represented by a former UKIP rent-a-mouth:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25104611

Oh dear.

Or should we be pleased?
 The Drivers' Union - Manatee
Good for him, if he gets the votes. He might provide some balance for the non elected Brake ;)
 The Drivers' Union - Zero
Alas that fella will do more harm than good to the motorists cause.
 The Drivers' Union - Dutchie
I don't mind him he has his own way.Either we go one way or the other better public transport inprove roads and parking facilities.Or ban the car altogether an go back to horse and cart.
 The Drivers' Union - madf
Mr Bloom will do car drivers a grave disservice.. He is in a state which is nest described as incognitive dissonance... (as opposed to cognitive dissonance)
Last edited by: madf on Tue 26 Nov 13 at 16:43
 The Drivers' Union - Haywain
"incognitive dissonance"

Is that the same as unconscious incompetence?
>> "incognitive dissonance"
>>
>> Is that the same as unconscious incompetence?
>>

exactly.

Man appears to be a plonker.
 The Drivers' Union - borasport
God Help us - he was on HIGNFY the other week and just utterly embarrassed himself – before, I thought he might just be a well meant but misunderstood conviction politician, a soft target for the national press, but no, he’s an idiot, plain and simple. Either he went on HIGNFY not knowing what to expect, which is the act of a fool, or he went on knowing what to expect, but didn’t think ‘I’m going to look an absolute turkey’
Drivers’ interests would be safer in the hands of Ken Livingstone, Jonathan Porritt and Christian Wolmar
 The Drivers' Union - Westpig
>> Drivers’ interests would be safer in the hands of Ken Livingstone, Jonathan Porritt and Christian
>> Wolmar
>>

Don't be too harsh on him. If the Green Party has some old trout accusing him of 'ignorance' and his ideas as 'fantasies', then maybe he's worth a punt.
 The Drivers' Union - Bromptonaut
Repeats the old saw about 20mph limits needing drivers to watch their speedo in a catatonic stare. If he cannot maintain twenty on gearing and sound plus observation of surroundings he should surrender his license now!!
 The Drivers' Union - Armel Coussine
20 limits are damn silly and ought to be ignored. It's obvious where cars have to slow to a cautious crawl, independently of what the posted limit may be.
 The Drivers' Union - Slidingpillar
There's a few 20 limits in my town. But due to the road conditions where most of them are sited, you'd be an idiot to try and go that fast, unless it was 3 in the morning.
 The Drivers' Union - Harleyman
Unfortunately, that's exactly the time when most of the idiots are about. Both on two legs and four wheels.
 The Drivers' Union - Boxsterboy
>> 20 limits are damn silly and ought to be ignored. It's obvious where cars have
>> to slow to a cautious crawl, independently of what the posted limit may be.
>>

Obvious to us, of course, but alas not every driver. Outside schools are the one place where 20 limits should be universal. But not all 'residential areas' as some councils seem to think. IMHO.
 The Drivers' Union - CGNorwich
"But not all 'residential areas' as some councils seem to think. IMHO"

Not all "residential areas" of course of course but a safe speed in most housing estates is around 20mph max. Even that can be too fast when children are around especially with the proliferation of badly parked vehicles.
 The Drivers' Union - WillDeBeest
Outside schools are the one place where 20 limits should be universal.

Oh please! Most times you pass a school, the children are either shut away inside or not there at all. When they're likely to be in or near the road, there are so many cars strewn hither, thither, yon, on pavements, on drives, on zigzags, that you couldn't pass at 20 if you wanted to.

Residential streets are where 20 makes sense, where children, old people, cats, postmen and the rest ought to be able to use the space they live in without being menaced by passing cars.
 The Drivers' Union - sooty123
>> Outside schools are the one place where 20 limits should be universal.
>>
>> Oh please! Most times you pass a school, the children are either shut away inside
>> or not there at all. When they're likely to be in or near the road,
>> there are so many cars strewn hither, thither, yon, on pavements, on drives, on zigzags,
>> that you couldn't pass at 20 if you wanted to.
>>
>> Residential streets are where 20 makes sense, where children, old people, cats, postmen and the
>> rest ought to be able to use the space they live in without being menaced
>> by passing cars.
>>

A passing car is a menace?
 The Drivers' Union - Bromptonaut
>> >> Residential streets are where 20 makes sense, where children, old people, cats, postmen and
>> the
>> >> rest ought to be able to use the space they live in without being
>> menaced
>> >> by passing cars.
>> >>
>>

>> A passing car is a menace?

Driven in excess of a safe speed it certainly is.
 The Drivers' Union - Runfer D'Hills
There are occasions when 30 or even 20 is ludicrously fast and others when 70 is preposterously slow.

Trusting many of the population to judge those circumstances for themselves would be at least naive.

If reality TV has served no other useful purpose, it at the very minimum, serves to remind us of how deeply and astonishingly thick some people are and why we probably do need clear and simple rules of conduct.
We live 100 meters up the hill from A Middle School (ages 9-13). Despite a 30 mph limit, people regularly drive down - and UP! - at 40+ despite there being a bend, a T junction, a Post Box warning signs, and no parking areas.

Of course at school times you cannot drive past at over 5 mph as the lollipop lady holds up the traffic - as ALL the little dears (less the small proportion who live on our - thinly populated side of the road) have to cross the road.

>> If reality TV has served no other useful purpose, it ... serves
>> to remind us of how deeply and astonishingly thick some people are

And the internet. Though not usually here.
 The Drivers' Union - Haywain
"……….when 70 is preposterously slow. "

Silverstone?
(8< snip! please stop quoting everything, as per the polite request that appears when you press the quote message button. Just a brief summary will do)

>> Driven in excess of a safe speed it certainly is.
>>

Well he didn't specify, just said a passing car. Hence me asking.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 27 Nov 13 at 14:00
 The Drivers' Union - WillDeBeest
Well he didn't specify, just said a passing car. Hence me asking.

So if I'd written 'without being hit by a passing car' would you have taken that to mean all passing cars hit pedestrians?

Drivers have a duty not to be a menace to other, more vulnerable road users. If they can't do that spontaneously, the law has to step in and make them.
Open memo to Oxfordshire County Council: this does not apply to quiet rural roads which happen to be close to villages in which councillors live. The A4155 does not need a 30 limit.
>> Well he didn't specify, just said a passing car. Hence me asking.
>>
>> So if I'd written 'without being hit by a passing car' would you have taken
>> that to mean all passing cars hit pedestrians?

Your point wasn't clear, so asked. Nothing more or less, no need to look beyond that.
 The Drivers' Union - commerdriver
>> The A4155 does not need a 30 limit.
>>
Abso flipping lutely
 The Drivers' Union - Boxsterboy
>> Outside schools are the one place where 20 limits should be universal.
>>
>> Oh please! Most times you pass a school, the children are either shut away inside
>> or not there at all. When they're likely to be in or near the road,
>> there are so many cars strewn hither, thither, yon, on pavements, on drives, on zigzags,
>> that you couldn't pass at 20 if you wanted to.
>>

So you know the opening hours and after-school activities of every school, when kids are likely to be around? Well done, because I haven't a clue. And that's just our kids school. And they are sometimes there at the weekend. About the only time it is safe to drive past schools knowing there's no-one about is the middle of the night.
 The Drivers' Union - Zero
>> kids school. And they are sometimes there at the weekend. About the only time it
>> is safe to drive past schools knowing there's no-one about is the middle of the
>> night.

Cobblers. You must drive around with your bleeding eyes shut.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 27 Nov 13 at 16:25
 The Drivers' Union - DP
>> Don't be too harsh on him. If the Green Party has some old trout accusing
>> him of 'ignorance' and his ideas as 'fantasies', then maybe he's worth a punt.

My thoughts exactly. He's got some humourless eco-bint nicely wound up. For that alone, I'd consider voting for him.
I didn't see HIGNFY sadly. Was he so bad?

I've actually only seen him pilloried for what amounts to being un-PC. Which you could say is incompetence in a politician, but not the worst kind.
 The Drivers' Union - Alanovich
>> I didn't see HIGNFY sadly. Was he so bad?

I was mildly embarrassed to be the same gender and species as the oaf. And I'm not saying his un-PCness bothered me, but he was so, so, unfunny and so, so desperately thought he was being clever.

I expect it's on iPlayer, have a look.
>> I expect it's on iPlayer, have a look.

I did, couldn't see the old ones on there.
 The Drivers' Union - Roger.
As a member of the party which has recently sacked him, I have to agree that HIGNFY did him no favours at all.

Surprising in a way, as apart from his short fuse (exploited by M. Crick) and a bit of schoolboy humour/laddishness, he was quite a decent speaker on his allocated brief.

I know he cost our branch a potentially good member (with a bob or two), whose wife - a business person - was offended by his joking reference to "tarts".
Last edited by: Roger on Wed 27 Nov 13 at 16:13
Latest Forum Posts