Motoring Discussion > Cyclist faces jail Legal Questions
Thread Author: Harleyman Replies: 6

Cyclist faces jail - Harleyman
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10477154/Cyclist-who-fled-after-hitting-girl-nine-faces-jail.html

Might give some others (not necessarily cyclists) the hint that they are not above the law.
 Cyclist faces jail - Boxsterboy
I couldn't agree more, speaking as one who was very nearly hit whilst crossing a light controlled pedestrian crossing by a cyclist who didn't understand that the red light applied to her as well as the cars.
 Cyclist faces jail - Bromptonaut
>> www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10477154/Cyclist-who-fled-after-hitting-girl-nine-faces-jail.html
>>
>> Might give some others (not necessarily cyclists) the hint that they are not above the
>> law.

No argument from me.

Only reason for custody though is 'pour encourager les autres'. As the President of the Supreme Court observed earlier this week short sentences that lose prisoners their job, home and livliehood are very expensive and not exactly rehabilitative.

A large fine and properly enforced community service mighjt be better though I doubt the victim's family would agree.
 Cyclist faces jail - Haywain
There are stupid, inconsiderate cyclists just as there are stupid, inconsiderate drivers.
 Cyclist faces jail - Mapmaker
I hit a 9 year old pedestrian once. She stepped out into the road in front of me without looking as she crossed the road to school. Needless to say I came off my bike and lay there in the road, winded. Did anybody care about me? No, they all went to help her - and fortunately there was nothing much wrong with her as I'd swerved to just about miss her.

And said 'well, she wouldn't have seen you, the sun is low in the sky.' Which indeed it was, but given the direction it would have illuminated me beautifully.

I trundled my bike away.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 27 Nov 13 at 11:38
 Cyclist faces jail - madf
One down , several thousand to go ..:-)
 Cyclist faces jail - Lygonos
>>One down , several thousand to go ..:-)

Don't worry, the chronic pressure of the saddle on their perineums increases impotence so they will (slowly) die out anyway.
Latest Forum Posts